• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Leaking into bilge 2008 SX-210

Bob Lentz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So i noticed a lot of oil in the bottom of my bilge. i checked oil and the port engine is low on oil so that engine is the source. Engine runs fine otherwise. There is no evidence of a leak around the valve cover, oil filter or hoses connected to oil tank. No oil on top of engine or on the top or sides of the engine compartment. Oil is leaking down only. Where could the leak be on the bottom? I suspect its leaking around the starter motor as that was recently replaced - if the starter motor is not bolted tight, can oil leak out there?

Thoughts?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone would know that, would be @itsdgm.

--

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The seal around the oil cooler can leak too. How much is "a lot" of oil? Are you using synthetic? Both of mine leak a little (maybe a teaspoon after sitting a few weeks) but it is not consistent an I am using Mobil 1 which seems to leak by seals more. My port does it more often than starboard and I know it is on the lowest point of the cooler seal on mine. Also, was it all the way in the bilge or in the engine compartment liner between the engines?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oil filter leaking ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how much oil?
do you have HO or non-HO engine?

I think your best bet is going to be to dry it all up and put some paper towel down to see if it's leaking while not running,
if not then take it out and idle at the dock while monitoring it to find the leak.

Isn't this a new to you boat? Do you know any of the previous history or how long did it run without a leak?

Bob Lentz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have owned the boat for about 2 years. As for the amount of oil, it was about a quart - a lot of oil. Does not seem to leak when not running. My son was looking at the motor while flushing and said it appeared to be coming from lower right side of the motor when looking at it. I am going to pull the air cleaner and get in there with a mirror to see what is up.

Bob Lentz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am using synthetic oil - the oil was in the center section between the two motors.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would help a lot if you could figure out which end of the engine is leaking. But yes, the starter motor does have an O ring on it that could be leaking. If your leak started after changing the starter motor, that could be the source. Another more common culprit (as mentioned above) would be the oil filter, they’ve been known to get tiny cracks or possibly rust through and leak especially if installed with a wrench.

Bob Lentz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Solved the problem - pin hole in actual oil filter - crazy as the filter is only a year old - crap yamaha part - will get a better brand filter this time. Thanks to everyone for their input - glad it was a simple solution.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Solved the problem - pin hole in actual oil filter - crazy as the filter is only a year old - crap yamaha part - will get a better brand filter this time. Thanks to everyone for their input - glad it was a simple solution.
Given the oil leak, that is the BEST place to find the leak.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now you know why I put aluminum tape on my filters to keep them from rusting and leaking.
You are very lucky you noticed it, many an engine has been destroyed from the crimp area of the filter rusting and blowing out . it is a well known fact that the metal where the filter case is crimped around the base has a history of rusting. some dealers now put grease on the filters to reduce the risk but I like to put metal tape on the entire filter since I ride in salt water.

Attachments

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found it, and it is not the engine leak!

New Yamaha OEM oil filters are the worst, cheapest POS. The older ones, made in Japan, used to be really nice, but the new ones are just absolute crap. They are thinner than paper on the outside, you can cut them open wtih scissors, and the filtration media is paper - similar to a cheapest generic FRAM. (not Ultra)

I switched to Amsoil filters albeit I don't care for the compnay and their marketing, but those are built like a tank - I tried to cut one open the other day and just gave up. I sent it to @ISLANDRACING who is putting together an oil filter comparison.

I personally think - your experience makes me even more convinced that a solid build is as important as any nuance of filtering particle sizes, especially if you change the filter every 30-50 hours like me and many others. (For a price of a couple of gallons of marina gas.)

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I first learned about the oil filters blowing out when witnessed a person with a MR1 engine in a ski blow his filter while running wide open damaging his engine and the oil was everywhere inside the ski. I have no idea how old it was but it left an impression on me when I realized that the paper thin metal filter had actually split and bulged out at the crimp.
Since then I always cover my filters and I suppose grease is ok but I worry about having issues removing the filter with a regular oil filter wrench if the filter is covered with grease. But I suppose it is better than nothing. I also use an electric fuel pump from a fuel injected engine to remove my oil from my engines and I do a oil change every 50 hours so I really doubt a filter is going to get dirty in that time , my oil is always very clean looking.

DidierAubin87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched and found out some threats of oil leak. Oil is an essential element for an automobile’s mechanism as it keeps the engine running with proper lubrication. It increases the lifespan of the components by reducing corrosion and friction between moving parts. So, a black puddle under the car means oil leaking, which could be the reason of many serious problems.