• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ok, hoped I wouldn't need to use this, but...

Doesn't seem like the starter is where I thought it was supposed to be, I'm following the cable up to under the manifold. This is going to be a bear.

Thars yer problem!!

I remember hearing about this problem years ago back on YJB. I think Yamaha issued a bulletin about it. But that might have been for the flush hose running too close to the shaft.

I made sure all the wires were clear and checked to see if the engine would turn over. No dice. Just the solenoid clicking.

Ugh. I don't know if I should yank the starter at this point (if I can even get to it) or try to replace the wires in place.

Have you tried jumping the starter with a screw driver to see if it runs?

Have you tried jumping the starter with a screw driver to see if it runs?

Not yet. I'm having a hard time finding where everything goes underneath the engine since it's so buried.

I'm off my lunch break but will be able to get back into it this evening. In the meantime, I'm googling the heck out of how to get to the starter on these things...

They are not easy.. at least on a 2 stroke motor... Requires a little standing on your head , and a LOT of cussing... Like @Murf'n'surf said try to jump the posts on the starter before you yank it. It may be fine.

Ok here's the latest.

I removed the ground cable completely. It's well over half worn out and I can replace it easily.

I disconnected the positive cable from the black box, used a jump pack and grounded it to the engine. I touched the positive to the loose end of the positive and the starter turned over... not strong, but there were sparks and the booster wasn't fully charged.

I then reconnected the positive to the black box, hooked up a jumper cable from the battery negative terminal to the engine and tried that. The solenoid only clicked.

Ok here's the latest.

I removed the ground cable completely. It's well over half worn out and I can replace it easily.

I disconnected the positive cable from the black box, used a jump pack and grounded it to the engine. I touched the positive to the loose end of the positive and the starter turned over... not strong, but there were sparks and the booster wasn't fully charged.

I then reconnected the positive to the black box, hooked up a jumper cable from the battery negative terminal to the engine and tried that. The solenoid only clicked.
From the pics earlier, it looks like you need to replace the positive cable as well, it probably doesn't have enough good wire left to supply enough power to the starter . Or it may have burnt the "black box" out when it was shorting out on the shaft.

OK it's dark so I'm done for the day. I tested the solenoid, I think. (Correct me if this isn't right.)

I grounded the engine, and used my digital multimeter to check the volts coming in from the battery on the incoming pole. 12.74V.

I checked the starter side of the solenoid in the same way without hitting the ignition. 0.00V.

I had a helper turn on the key, the solenoid 'clicked'... 0.00V.

Is that a thorough test, or is there more I'd need to do to completely test it?

That sounds correct to me, I am not an expert in electronics but rou should have gotten a reading when the key was turned.

Now I'm looking at solenoids... I can order from YamahaSportsPlaza or other places to get genuine OEM solenoids for about $70, or I can get an aftermarket for < $20. I'm sure Yamaha just rebrands others' products, but that's a heck of a price difference LOL!

So if the solenoid was going bad, could it have theoretically passed less than the full voltage for a time, giving me the sporadic starting?

I want to replace both the positive and negative cables... what I'm thinking though is that I'll get the solenoid and both cables, replace the solenoid and the negative cable (they're not going to be too bad to replace) and tape up the existing, worn positive cable and see if it works. If it does, I can replace it after the season. We only have a couple weeks left, at the most. :( From what I've seen it's likely that I'm going to have to lift the engine to get to the starter! I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to, because that would end my 2014 season now.

I am cheap, so I would for sure get the aftermarket ones. I highly doubt Yamaha builds theirs in-house, I can see if going bad and not giving the full power and causing that probkem. You can try to tape it up, if it doesn't fire rite away I would stop and change it. Otherwise you may burn up the newSolenoid.

I just paid a little bit more to get an oem solenoid that was from a parted-out jet ski... $17.49 with free shipping from eBay.

It's guaranteed, so I'd rather have a used oem item for $5 more than a roll-the-dice generic Chinese offering.

Help me understand this. Is the solenoid physically on the starter? The device that throws the starter shaft into the ring gear so it turns the engine?

No, the solenoid is in the black box on the rear wall of the engine compartment.

Don't run with that ratty wiring. You have been lucky that your boat has not caught fire yet. Best not to push your luck. If a fire starts in there I doubt you would have much choice but swim for it.

Help me understand this. Is the solenoid physically on the starter? The device that throws the starter shaft into the ring gear so it turns the engine?
You're not far off @buckbuck. The old car starters DID have the solenoid ON the starter. The part that throws the starter shaft into the ring gear is called the bendix. The reason for a solenoid is to isolate the low current circuit from your ignition switch from the high current circuit from your battery to your starter. You'll notice the wires going to your ignition switch are very thin for low current but the wire going to your starter is very thick for high current.

You can easily prove your solenoid by going from the positive of your battery to your starter motor terminal. Just be REAL careful not to touch ground while doing this. Better yet, disconnect the ground wire from your battery while you connect the hot lead to the starter. When you complete that reconnecting the ground to your battery will complete the circuit and your starter motor should turn the engine over. If it does your solenoid is most likely defective. Also be careful your battery compartment is well ventilated when you do this.

Don't run with that ratty wiring. You have been lucky that your boat has not caught fire yet. Best not to push your luck. If a fire starts in there I doubt you would have much choice but swim for it.

Yeah, if that were my boat, there's no way I'd run that thing until I replaced ALL damaged wiring. IMHO you're asking for trouble there.

Back