• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the water Help User Group - Join to Help or post @HELP when you are in urgent need

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welp first outting of the year, stbd motor started and cut out after a few seconds. Did this a few times and then ran fine. About 10 minutes later I git some weird vibrations thinking it was cavitation, moving the throttles a bit stopped the vibration, stbd was producing about 800rpm less than port at wide open, which is weird. 10 minutes after that I got a overheat on the stbd and shut it down. Impeller and shaft looked/felt clear. Currently limping home on 1 motor. What’s the fastest you can go 1 motor? I’m limping at 5 mph, it’s painfully slow, no tow valves installed :( looks like there is some black rubber shavings where the drive shaft from the motor goes into the hull. 2020 AR240, seems like a shouldn’t be having this issue on a boat with 70 hours.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do not exceed 10 miles per hour. Sounds like you have ingested something into the impeller.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do not exceed 10 miles per hour. Sounds like you have ingested something into the impeller.
I’ll take a good look when it’s back on the trailer, i can’t feel anything in there. It’s either that or a bad bearing. Motor will start, run for about 5 seconds and cut out like something is keeping the shaft from freely moving. With what looks like rubber shavings in the engine bay by the shaft. It’s to hot/difficult to reach back and see what the shavings are on the water

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welp first outting of the year, stbd motor started and cut out after a few seconds. Did this a few times and then ran fine.
would think this may be water/moisture in the fuel if it has ran over the winter,

Currently limping home on 1 motor. What’s the fastest you can go 1 motor? I’m limping at 5 mph, it’s painfully slow, no tow valves installed :(
no wake speed, make sure you have the dead motor throttle in "full forward" position to keep the reverse deflector up in the air and create less back pressure through the cooling port, tow valves, a pair of vice grips or even disconnecting the cooling hose in the engine compartment, it's a long ways home at no wake speed,

Welp first outting of the year, stbd motor started and cut out after a few seconds. Did this a few times and then ran fine. About 10 minutes later I git some weird vibrations thinking it was cavitation, moving the throttles a bit stopped the vibration, stbd was producing about 800rpm less than port at wide open, which is weird. 10 minutes after that I got a overheat on the stbd and shut it down. Impeller and shaft looked/felt clear.
Would bet you have or had something in the intake or impeller, debris would easily reduce rpm and disrupts waterflow into the cooling inlet,
it may have cleared itself when you stopped the motor, it wouldn't hurt to try to start the motor again and run it for a minute or two to see if the overheat goes away, otherwise get it on the trailer for a good inspection from both the intake grate and if you don't see anything pull the impeller shaft, it's an easy 20 minute job,

///
and for others reading this thread, if you have a problem start a new thread with your problem and in the body of the post, not the title, use the @ help (typed all together) to alert the community to your post,

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This happened to me on a ski a few years back. There was a giant patch of seaweed stuck to the intake grate, it was way to big and thick to go in the grate so it just suctioned itself to grate. I got engine overheating warning and pulled it out back on the trailer and it was good to go. It would start everytime but would throw an overheat signal after running 5-10min. Didn't do any long term damage, I was new to skis and jet propulsion all together or I would have checked it in the water

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Same thing happened to me there was like a nut jamMed between the impeller and the wall

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good news, made it back home, bad news, nothing visibly lodged in the impeller. After further investigation, something is definitely causing the motor overheat and stop it from running at idle. It will run for 5 seconds or so at idle and make a audible clunk (like something is stuck in the impeller or causing the drive shaft to seize up, bad bearing? Idk) There is some mysterious melted plastic pieces by the shaft under the motor, which I couldn’t find a source from which they came, and the wear ring/impeller on the problem side do look a little rougher than other side. I’m going to pull the pump tomorrow, I’ll start a a new thread if turns out to be more than a lodges stick.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good news, made it back home, bad news, nothing visibly lodged in the impeller. After further investigation, something is definitely causing the motor overheat and stop it from running at idle. It will run for 5 seconds or so at idle and make a audible clunk (like something is stuck in the impeller or causing the drive shaft to seize up, bad bearing? Idk) There is some mysterious melted plastic pieces by the shaft under the motor, which I couldn’t find a source from which they came, and the wear ring/impeller on the problem side do look a little rougher than other side. I’m going to pull the pump tomorrow, I’ll start a a new thread if turns out to be more than a lodges stick.
Keep us posted

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you still have warranty?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have any pictures? The vibrations could be causing the rear cleanout hatch switch to cut out the engine but the real issue is the vibration and black guts you mention. I can't think of any black/rubber other than the intermediate bearing seal. Your next step is to pull the pump and inspect which will tell us a lot. I wouldn't wait the 3 weeks for service

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Taking the pump off my 2020 212S was a pain in the ass compared to my old 2017 Ar190. The port pump was easy but the stbd had so much sealant on it I needed to get my heat gun so I could pry it off. Then clean all the sealant off before I re-install, I didn't reseal the pump. My ar19o didn't have any sealant and haven't noticed any difference on the 212 without sealant. Not sure why the seal the pump mount surface, to help with cavataion maybe.

Higgins44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Hello,
I have a 2014 scarab 195 HO…Took it out this weekend…The lake is very low right now where i live, Anyway we got it stuck on a high area where the lake is low sucked up some grass/mud/dirt..As we where getting it in stuck the exhaust temp would go up a little each time it did this i would shut the boat off after getting it unstuck the boat would barley crank and only idle for a few minutes and shut off..I got it home cleaned out the intake grate, flushed out everything i could..Now it will crank and run but the engine is way louder than it used to be!! Any idea’s why??
thanks for any help

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,
I have a 2014 scarab 195 HO…Took it out this weekend…The lake is very low right now where i live, Anyway we got it stuck on a high area where the lake is low sucked up some grass/mud/dirt..As we where getting it in stuck the exhaust temp would go up a little each time it did this i would shut the boat off after getting it unstuck the boat would barley crank and only idle for a few minutes and shut off..I got it home cleaned out the intake grate, flushed out everything i could..Now it will crank and run but the engine is way louder than it used to be!! Any idea’s why??
thanks for any help
Louder in the water or out of water?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Higgins44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Take a look for debris stuck around the impeller and shaft.
It’s clear… Checked it first…I know how to look at the jet pump…But not sure where to check the exhaust??