• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

On the water questions

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally got the X out and I have a question, but reserve the right to add to it. :)

What RPM should I be running to cruise on plane? I'm used to my 2 stroke... This seems to want to rev a lot higher. What's a good range to run at? She just seems to have a lot less "oomph" trying to get on plane and stay there.

I typically run around 7000 to 7500 rpm to cruise.

The two strokes max at 7200 rpm where your new mr1 engines run at 10,000 max. Normal operating rpm for cruising between 6000-8000 rpm.
the 2 smokes are beasts but have a horrid powerband issue right about wakeboarding speeds. The new engines are just fine but spin higher rpm.

I usually run 7,000-8,000 to plane out and cruise.

In the Yamahas I have always felt it was best to quickly get on plane and then back it off to where you want to cruise at. Once on plane you can back it way back and still stay on plane, but getting on plane slowly will seem like there is no umph.

Finally got the X out and I have a question, but reserve the right to add to it. :)

What RPM should I be running to cruise on plane? I'm used to my 2 stroke... This seems to want to rev a lot higher. What's a good range to run at? She just seems to have a lot less "oomph" trying to get on plane and stay there.
Rev up and back off to 7500 - 7200 rpm that's sweet spot for me with the sx230 and the MR-1 HO

Okay, I guess what I was getting was "normal" for these boats then... it'd plane at 7000, but seemed much more on top of the water at 7500-8000. What baffled me was that it would INSTANTLY rev to 5-6k without much happening... almost like the cleanout plugs weren't in compared to my older LX210. It just felt "wrong", but that could be me being used to the 2-strokes. My LX210 immediately "bit" and all but leaped out of the water. I knew the 4 strokes didn't put out as much power as quickly, but I kind of expected them to behave differently. I was expecting the engines to struggle more until the boat got on a plane. This feels like the engines are spinning up MUCH faster, but the pumps don't really get anything done until the engines are at 7000 for a 10 seconds or so. I'll post more thoughts and a few pictures of the rear "trail" in the 212X area tomorrow.

maybe a video if you can, if you're taking 10 seconds to get on plane that seems like a long time to me, it should throw you back from the time the throttles move.

Video will have to wait till I can get the wife onboard or get a mount for my gopro installed, but that's a good idea. There's definitely no throwing anyone anywhere the way it is, unless I'm going something drastically wrong.

I'm glad these guys could answer your question.
My boat, being an early model, only came with an On / Off switch! :eek:

...goes from idle to WOT...nothin in between. :cool:

Something is wrong. Sounds like you have a cavitation issue. Yeah, you'll need some revs to get and stay on plane but the acceleration should be very strong as soon as you hit the throttles. Even on my SX210 I need to tell my passengers to be ready when I gun it.

Something is wrong. Sounds like you have a cavitation issue. Yeah, you'll need some revs to get and stay on plane but the acceleration should be very strong as soon as you hit the throttles. Even on my SX210 I need to tell my passengers to be ready when I gun it.
That's my gut feeling too... My next step is to pull the cleanouts to check the screws and crawl around underneath to make sure the pump linings and everything look okay. I tried to pull the plugs on the water and couldn't... didn't want to get all hamfisted on it when I needed it to get me back. Should be able to get them out in the next day or two and will post up what I see.

maybe look at the member map and find someone close by that you could meet up with for an hour the next time they take their boat out so you would have something to compare it to real time.

Like others have said, we just slam the throttles full forward for a second or two. The boat jumps on top of the water and then back it off to about 7200 rpm.
Take some pictures of your impellers and post. It may be time to replace or rebuild them.

Finally got a little video for a takeoff, although I was feeling exceptionally lazy, didn't have help this time and didn't feel like messing with the GoPro a whole lot.
This is my 212X getting on plane from NoWake mode. I didn't give it all it had, but I was fairly brisk in gassing it. You'll hear the throttle back off around 20 seconds... that's when it feels appropriately on plane to me. I'll do a launch from a dead stop next time I'm out and can position the GoPro a little better.

It feels much better now with the new cleanout plugs and it's "good enough" that I'm not going to do any more than smooth out the intake grate areas, but it still feels a little "lacking", IMO.

Was kinda hard to tell but it did seem a bit off from mine. Just hammer it. From idle to 10,000. That's what I do.

Top speed now? Perhaps someone nearby can see how it runs compared to theirs?

I don't know actual top speed, as it was a little choppy in most spots that I had room to run it. The speedo said 45mph at one point, but I think it's a bit "enthusiastic" about its readout. Haven't pulled the tracks off the GPS yet, but I'll try to get that done today to get a better idea.

Update:
Garmin GPS tracks confirm we hit 46 mph with the bimini up. It's never felt like top speed was an issue, just the hole shot. It could just be me... I've got a friend with an SX240, next time he's out I'll meet up with him and see how they compare.

Last edited:
Back