• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One week in a wet slip?

Bob Fluck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what everyone thought was an appropriate timeframe for leaving my new to me Ar192 in salt water. We have a vacation home at the beach we use every summer. Although we don’t have a dock at our house, friends of ours do and said we may use it at anytime. So, the question is... is one week a problem to leave it wet slipped? I can pull it everyday, but I would rather have it tied up at the dock for quick access without having to use the ramp. I plan on washing and flushing the engine after the week in salt. I will also drop it in the lake when we get back home and run it a couple hours to ensure that I have removed all salt. What does everyone think? When I had my center console we just raised the engine and left it in the water for the week, but this is my first jet and just want to be sure I properly taking care of it. Thanks guys and gals.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Bob Fluck. I've had my jet boat in the salt water for a week at a time with no I'll effects at all. The only differrnce is I have tow (isolation) valves installed. This allowes me to flush with fresh water while sitting in the salt. If you don't have these installed you can use clamps to clamp off the water intake line to flush after each use. Personally, I wouldn't go a week in salt without flushing. Once salt hardens inside your cooling system Salt Away will not remove it.

Bob Fluck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
Great, thank you for the information. Are those tow valves a DIY or do I need to have dealer install? I am pretty handy and do all my own work.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Definitely DIY - check the FAQ.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great, thank you for the information. Are those tow valves a DIY or do I need to have dealer install? I am pretty handy and do all my own work.
Bob. If this salt water trip is just an occasional thing I would just buy a flat jawed clamp to make it easier. If you will be doing this often you may want to install them permanently. I'm not sure a dealer would do this as it is counter intuitive for them to close off a cooling line. I actually mentioned my set up to a Yamaha service manager at a dealer in RI two summers ago and all he did was shake his head. He just didn't understand the concept.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So are these boats not made for salt water use. (Asking because I really do not know, not a troll type question.)

One of our intended uses is inshore/coastal leisurely cruising along the New England coast. (Reading about the Bimini trips encouraged that premise.)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These boats will run fine in salt water. The basic issue is that they should not be stored long-term in salt water as it's really hard on them.

That being said, I'd say as a general rule, if you're going on a trip for a week or two, it won't hurt them to be in the water for that long.

You should flush and wash them throughly once they come out...and also if you have a painted trailer, rinse it the best you can as well.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you sir.

Regarding the flushing, is it advisable to use the Salt Away in the engine flushing process, and not just as an external rinse agent?

In regard to the trailer, it would be nice if Yamaha allowed a trailer delete or an option for an aluminum trailer.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After a week in the brine you will have slime and the beginnings of barnicles growing on the hull which can be scrubbed off "relatively" easily. I try to limit my boat to 3 days in to avoid this extra cleaning. Also, IMO just wait until you haul it and flush it well with saltaway.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you sir.

Regarding the flushing, is it advisable to use the Salt Away in the engine flushing process, and not just as an external rinse agent?

In regard to the trailer, it would be nice if Yamaha allowed a trailer delete or an option for an aluminum trailer.
YES, definitely use Salt Away in your flush procedure. You can get a dispenser with a container of Salt Away or buy it separately @ West Marine. It is more important to flush with it than to wash your boat with it. Also use it to rinse your trailer when you launch & retrieve your boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Keep an eye on recesses like where the pumps are or any protected areas that are not exposed to water flow when the boat is stationary, this is where the barnacles will attach first and usually the more difficult places to clean.
Spray a lot of furniture polish in those areas to help keep them from forming as quickly But be sure to remove the boat and rinse it every 3 days if possible.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After a week in the brine you will have slime and the beginnings of barnicles growing on the hull which can be scrubbed off "relatively" easily. I try to limit my boat to 3 days in to avoid this extra cleaning. Also, IMO just wait until you haul it and flush it well with saltaway.
Scrubbing? How abrasive is safe with a gelcoat surface (where "scrubbing" for me might be different than what you mean)? Also, do barnacles also attach/grow inside the cooling system?

Re. above with the furniture polish...will that prevent the "slime" also?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just soak it with pledge or similar product and rinse the boat hull every few days but water temp also plays a roll in how quickly things make your boat their home. In Florida it happens pretty quickly. Up inside the intake tunnel is another spot.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just soak it with pledge or similar product and rinse the boat hull every few days but water temp also plays a roll in how quickly things make your boat their home. In Florida it happens pretty quickly. Up inside the intake tunnel is another spot.

This will be mid-coast Maine. Do barnacles also attach/grow inside the cooling system?

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been leaving my boat in salt water for up to two weeks at a time for years. Yes, I have a bit more cleaning to do, but nothing a little elbow grease and a power washer couldn't solve. If you are using the boat daily, I don't see how the cooling passages are going to get clogged with salt deposits to the point that they couldn't be removed with normal flushing. Bottom line is....put your boat in the water and go Have some fun!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This will be mid-coast Maine. Do barnacles also attach/grow inside the cooling system?
It's so cold in the Maine waters even the barnacles get shrinkage.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's so cold in the Maine waters even the barnacles get shrinkage.
I am a barnacle.

I laughed so hard that I was p̶r̶o̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ prostrate.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I intend to leave my boat in a rental for a week and am curious about something- will the salt harden in one week if the boat is in the water the whole week? I understand when you pull it out it must be thoroughly rinsed with fresh water and salt away because the water will evaporate and leave a salt residue but does salt harden while it is wet/in the water/underwater for a week?

I might pull it out mid-week for a wash rinse to make the end of trip clean up easier.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks Scoop