• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinion on twin engine versus single

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a new AR190 two years ago and my boating needs are changing more towards wake sports so I wanted to get feedback from anyone that has gone from a single to twin model. Specifically items like speed control while towing, ability to tube, and overall use as a wakesports boat (how much real ballast needed). Leaning towards the 212 line because of storage. I really like the versatility of the Yamaha boat line and this site is a world of information for owners. Biggest question is, if you had it to do over again would you stay with Yamaha or go with a v-drive? Thanks in advance,

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
A couple of threads that may be of interest:

212x Wakesurfing:

Not much help, but references a 210:

From this thread asking about surfing with an AR195, but the quote mostly pertains to the 212x:

In my 212x, when we first started surfing with the transom bag, I struggled to get up to speed. Firstly, let's correct some terminology just for clarification (not trying to be a dick). You're NEVER going to get on plane while surfing. You should never exceed 12mph (maybe not even 11) when surfing, and the boat won't plane at that speed, even unloaded. Secondly, what helped me was an 800 lb bag in the ski locker, and then L13 cones. Once those were done, it doesn't matter now how many people are in the boat. We get to surf speed easily with no issues. Obviously your boat is different, but I was in a similar situation and that's what worked for us. I have no idea if the TVW is compatible with the L13 cones. It would be nice to get some clarification on that. I personally would never trade the performance from the L13 cones for the TVW, if that is what must be done. That would be an important factor in the decision for many I would think.
Hope this helps!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I knew the kids and myself would love surfing so much I would have bought a purpose built boat. If you are 100% watersports and one is in your budget, then the purpose built boat would be better, no question.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go test both of them out on the water and see what the differences are while underway. Check each for storage, functionality of all aspects, fuel consumption(if even interested), total weight of the boat, ease of maintenance and anything else that you might think of.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If I was to be honest, if given the chance I'd ditch my Yamaha and get into a v-drive. However, there are things that I'd really miss about my Yamaha 212X. I'd really miss the back deck, it is so nice and such a great design that you will not get on a v-drive. I'll also miss the maneuverability, I love driving my Yamaha especially in close spaces mainly due to the separate control of twin drives and addition of the Lateral Thrusters. I've also had great experience with reliability and ease of maintanance. I dream of a purpose built v-drive though and not dealing with the big ballast bag on the back and time to setup and switch sides. So no regrets really, I love my 212X but if purchasing today I'd be leaning v-drive.

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the feedback! It's a big investment any way you look at it so I appreciate the insight.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are getting the Yamaha, get two engines, it is nice and a lot of fun. Plus two is always better than one!!!

I chose two engines, or they chose me because of the size of the boat, but I like being able to get back in if one engine goes down. Haven't had to yet.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This was a huge factor ^^^ for us; and I have had to limp back to the ramp on one engine when we sucked up a fishing lure into one impeller last year... Things happen on boats and to have that second mode of propulsion saved us a tow/headache bigger than what we ended up dealing with ending our trip out that day... Had it remedied and back on the water by the next morning. Plus the size difference of the 21’ Yamaha fit us loads better than any of the other similar length v-drives... We would have had to go 23’ or bigger to get the usable room we have...F2DE9AE0-A3A7-4B15-A3F3-1194A8E96C3B.jpeg

Wouldn’t trade the transom area on this boat it’s way to awesome! As well as the thought of one of my kids catching an exposed prop behind the boat...

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a big plus for the Yamaha, can't believe the lure jammed it. Crazy!

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is a big plus for the Yamaha, can't believe the lure jammed it. Crazy!
Yea I was shocked too! When we pulled it... I tried to clear it from the clean out port but it was lodged with the impeller into the metal spine on that wonderfully discarded lure by a local fisherman. Engine stayed running and we luckily could see the takeout and limped back to pull the pump and find that little guy... Back on the water tubing the next morning...