• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opportunity to say THANK YOU to USCG member

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
as some of you might know I ship skis & motorcycles to support my boating habits.

A couple of day ago I run to a mom that needed to ship her son's motorcycle from Dallas to Miami. She seemed desperate and the quotes she was getting were ridiculous( $600 to $700 range). She mentioned that her son is in bootcamp and his first assignment is going to be in Miami. I thought I could do something tangible instead of just saying " thank you for your service". So I figured that since I am Bimini with the July group, I might as well switch from my prius to my truck and bring that bike with me. I offered to do it for literally the cost of me switching from Prius to truck to make the trip. Long story short, it will cost the family less than $350.

So that is all good, but I showed up to pick the motorcycle I found out that the boy is actually in the Cost Guard and he is planing on becoming a Rescue Swimmer :winkingthumbsup"

That very moment I decided that I will suck up my cost and take this guys motorcycle to Miami for free. My plan is to give him a letter saying something like this:

Dear Seaman R.G.

I am part of a group called JETBOATERS.NET. We take out boats to Bimini every year. USGC has saved our asses more than once. And when we found out about your bike, we decided to get it there for free. Just a small token of appreciation for what you are planing on doing. The crews from the following boats contributed to getting your bike to Miami

HMS Artemis 553
boat 2
boat 3
boat 4

This is not one of those charitable things where your employers expects you to contribute or volunteer. No minimum or anything. Want to sent me $0.25 that is fine. This is more like if you want want to chip in you are more than welcome to do so. If not no worries at all. The bike is going there for free and jetboaters.net will be getting credit for it.

If I deliver the bike outside of the base, I will try to get a video as this is going to be a surprise for him.

Note: If anyone thinks that Uncle Sam will come after me for implicitly bribing USGC or will get the Seaman in trouble with his CO please let me know. The last thing I want to screw him over.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll donate a 9x9 glass casserole dish and $20.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me / us know where to send a contribution please. I was in the Service, Navy, so was my brother and a lot of family before us so I know what they do and how under paid, under appreciated and often over worked Service members are. If I can help I will.

I don’t see a bribe issue here so long as he or his mother is not promising some future benefit for delivery the bike for free. If and when he becomes a rescue swimmer it will be his duty to save you if you need it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Man, I love what your doing here @Betik, your hearts in the right place. I just took my yearly ethics training for the Air Force and it gets a little grey on what/when/who you can accept things. By all means... chances are this guy will not get in any trouble... but I would do your due dillangence on what he can and can’t accept. For reference, although outdated, here is the link to an ethics training for USCG. Specifically this excerpt.

Good luck! I will donate too assuming you press forward.

http://tdept.cgaux.org/mt/pdf/Ethics_PG_Ind_Learn.pdf

F7BA81CB-09FB-4002-9CCE-F8C121D1B634.png

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
UMMMMM.. I think the gift of the transport is to the mother.. She was looking for the quote and was going to pay it.. Doing it for free was to her benefit... His only benefit is getting the bike and a nice letter of appreciation ! I see no issues.

Furthermore.. Way to go betik!

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am sure that the gift is only because the recipient is an awesome person who wants to save the lives of others and @Betik is not a prohibited source.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a $ amount on gifts we can get. The golden rule is it its something you would never do for anyone else other than this one guy then its a no go. But if another family wanted to ship a bit to FL and you gave them the same or about the same $350 price then your good and its a gift for the mother not the service member. I have been in the Army for 18 years and got a few beer or meal here and there no one ever throws a fit. It becomes a issue (mostly for the big brass) that can influence contrtacts and such.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounded like the mother was paying for the transport he was just going to give a letter to the son as a thank you for your service as a member of jetboaters.net have been on the receiving end.

The service member is being given a thank you card and his mother isnt paying for the transport so should be fine.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm in @Betik, let me know how I can contribute and where to send it.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also based on his rank, he has no authority to make any decisions so are you really influencing him.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m in....if you pm me your cell...i’ll send you the money via my credit union. I just need your full name and cell. @Betik

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not mean to drop cold on your guys. I have to make a emergency run to FLorida and I have been texting back and forth with the Seaman's mom. The lady who is actually paying the bill. Here is what her and I decided.
When I drop the the bike, I will just hand him over cash. No thank you cards; n o stickers; no Gopros recording his reaction.

That being said, given that this will be a cash transaction, I have no way of proving that I did not turn that money to buzz. So unfortunately I will not be taking any money for you guys. Although touched from your wiliness to support my idea; i will would rather have a peaceful sleep than worry any things of my that I am that kind of Greek guy. The curse of inventing the Trojan Horse carries on. "Thank you very much, great great great grandpa"

@Scottintexas I will take that casserole dish from you though LOL

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Appreciate what you are doing @Betik , if you pm your PayPal address I may send you a thank you gift for you to spend or save as you please, not specifically to be used to offset your costs on this.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in, just need to know where to send my contribution.

@Betik you sir are a good man!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking at some old records and I realized I never updated this.

It pretty much played down like this...
I arrived in Miami close to midnight. He come down with another green USCG member, so I quickly improvised. I gave him the cash for whatever I was going to get paid and told him, " BTW, you mom told to give you this".

His mom called the next day to find out, and I told her " some boat friends of mine & I chipped in to say thank you for your son's service".

So it all ended although not as climatic as I was originally planning :wacky: