• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Optimal Location to Mount Transom Mount Transducer

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been scouring the forums, and it seems that, depending on the year/model of our boats, you can mount the transducer in different ways. For my 2011 AR240, does anyone have the best location?

Thanks!

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Here is a pic of the mods on the back of my boat. You can see where I mounted the transducer. I have minimal issues with turbulence interrupting the measurements in this location.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I put mine in the same place as Tech riders and have had no issues . If you are going to do an external mount that is the place to put it. Many have done an internal mount instead.

kplarose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you give me a few details as to how you ran the wire harness up to the helm?

Here is a pic of the mods on the back of my boat. You can see where I mounted the transducer. I have minimal issues with turbulence interrupting the measurements in this location.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put mine on the opposite side and have no issues with turbulence except maybe that slow / high rpm range before getting over say 8 or 9 MPH

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why apologize? I think it is great you posted. I am just about to install my new transduce...right where everyone says. It never made much sense to me that the original position was right where the jet pump plate and hull mate (obviously turbulence).

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 230's can mount up against the transom where the nozzles exit the hull. There is a ride plate on the 240, so I don't know if that is possible there, but I am going to consider mounting there somehow but may give in and mount where you guys did. There is a step down on that face of the transom, did you reach down below the step-down?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't want to drill... the bilge is a VERY good place for thru hull transducers on our boats. Absolutely zero cavitation and if all you're looking for is sonar (and not water temp or downward/side imaging) then it's a great placement without having to go through the fiberglass. I have a "sonar phone" transducer going into my bilge area this coming spring.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I put mine inside the boat, on the floor near the rear plug and it reads through the fiberglass. It is held in place with epoxy. Been there 3 seasons so far, no problems as of yet and it reads with no problems at all.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those mounting the transducer on the outside:When you drill that little hole for the cable, is it just plugged with a grommet and silicon to make it watertight? Or did you find some other fancy contraption to use? Only thing that worries me is the potential for disaster when leaving the boat in the water for long periods of time...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you mount the transducer external, you don't drill the cable hole below the waterline. You run the cable directly up under the pump toward the back out of the way and drill the hold on the bottom of the horizontal shelf, and no need for a grommet, you just fill it will silicone. I don't use silicone however on places that are either underwater or exposed, like this is, to the force of water and can be underwater with several people on the swim deck. I use LifeCaulk, it is a poly based caulk that is more elastic and remains more pliable than silicone. And at that point you don't have to worry at all about a boat left in the water.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I came across this and thought I would share. Basically no holes in your boat and its adjustable. supposedly its removable without damage if you decide you no longer want it.

I think I am going to try it as you should be getting a solid readout at 30 mph, so I think the adjustment features are worth it.

http://www.sternmate.com/index.html

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I came across this and thought I would share. Basically no holes in your boat and its adjustable. supposedly its removable without damage if you decide you no longer want it.

I think I am going to try it as you should be getting a solid readout at 30 mph, so I think the adjustment features are worth it.

http://www.sternmate.com/index.html
Interesting. I'm not sure I wouldn't be more comfortable knowing it is securely attached. But you will still need a transducer cable hole in the hull.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes but the transducer cable hole will/should NEVER need to be adjusted. I will let you know how it works out this summer after I install.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The mounting hikes should never need to be adjusted either. Most if the transom mount transducers with the Garmin/lorance/raymarine units have adjustable brackets on the mount. I have installed two of these and have never had to adjust them. And the spectrum patch kit gelcoat repair makes filling a he pretty easy if you replace ir so decide you need to move it. A thru hull mount transducer would be better IMO. But paying twice for a transducer and losing the temp isn't desirable to me.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My through hull transducer reads temperature. I assume it is because the hull assumes the same temp as the water, and it is pretty accurate.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My through hull transducer reads temperature. I assume it is because the hull assumes the same temp as the water, and it is pretty accurate.
Do you have down scan imaging (or side scan) available on your unit (that's what she said)?

From what I have read...the smaller (less expensive) side scan and downscan units ONLY have an external mount and not through hull.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the standard Hummingbird transducer epoxied go the inside of the hull. They are designed for external or internal application.