• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Optimal Location to Mount Transom Mount Transducer

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Where did you mount it? If you mount it any forward of the aft area by the exhaust water boxes, when the boat is on plane at high speed, the front 3/4's of the boat is out of the water. If the hull where it is mounted is in the water, it will read as well on the step as it will static. We don't have much bow rise so I doubt that is it, but it could be a contributor.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's about as much AFT as it can go! I mounted it right next to (right of the) drain plug. I'm just glad it works.cant remove now without a fight but I don't feel the need. Some have these issues when mounting on outside of boat..

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know if the fact yours is a single engine vs my setup with twins is a factor or not, but it could be. My A type drives me crazy, even for you! But once in the epoxy, I doubt that transducer could be moved and still be effective. I have not looked at the 190 lower hull and bilge area to survey for this purpose. I am glad your getting readings but I really wish you had readings at speed. I remember our trip to Lake Powell, and how I would be running in the channel (in 400' + water!), and all of a sudden, the depth would start to shallow RAPIDLY. If the sun wasn't in a good position, the color of the water won't clue you in, and you could hit a mount. The chart, then chart plotter, then depth sounder, then your eyes...are your best friends when boating. I know we didn't used to have anything but our eyes and a lake map, but I am hoping you can get it reading when on the step too.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i hate this big ass ugly thing sticking out... couldn't they have made it "better"??

Haddens2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Here is a pic of the mods on the back of my boat. You can see where I mounted the transducer. I have minimal issues with turbulence interrupting the measurements in this location.

Can you repost a pic of your transducer mount location? For some reason its not showing up on the site any longer.

06sx210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wanted to share where I ended up mounting the transducer on my sx210.

It's a lowrance 5x... hope his helps anyone wondering how to do it.

Used 3m marine epoxy fast cure 4200 to seal the gigantic hole you have to drill to get the cannon plug through the hull.

Also posted pics of the HMI mount... like it on the passenger side. Gives the kids something to do and I get a great view point when boating.

Attachments

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you run the cable into the boat? Did you drill your own hole or use an existing drain like others?
I took my well now ex boat to cycle springs here in clearwater and they did it for me. But if i rememer they did drill a hole in the ride plate and up into the Engine compartment