• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Optimal Location to Mount Transom Mount Transducer

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My through hull transducer reads temperature. I assume it is because the hull assumes the same temp as the water, and it is pretty accurate.
I assumed fiberglass to be a pretty good insulator. Guess I'll see if my transducer reads accurate water temp after I install it. Thanks for the feedback!

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you do mount in inside you have to make sure there is no air or it will not work. Put some epoxy down and push the transducer into it while twisting back and forth making 100% sure there is no air bubbles. Mine has been mounted that way for 3 full seasons with no issues at all.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you do mount in inside you have to make sure there is no air or it will not work. Put some epoxy down and push the transducer into it while twisting back and forth making 100% sure there is no air bubbles. Mine has been mounted that way for 3 full seasons with no issues at all.
That reminds me... I was going to get some play dough and build a glue dam for when I install mine. :) thanks for the reminder!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Trm1765 ... do you have to smooth out the surface before you epoxy the transducer into place?? Been thinking of changing mine out to something else and was considering this option. Thanks.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I didn't smooth it but I did make sure it was clean and not dusty so it stuck real good.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks!! Another new project for this spring!! My wife will be so happy that I have something to do!! :D

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Jim Robeson There can't be any air bubbles in the hull or under the transducer. It has to be a solid surface it looks thru. So you want to place a puddle of epoxy under the transducer so it has no void when it is placed. And a good idea to maybe place a temporary water dam around where your going to place it to test the hull integrity before yiu install it. Then place the transducer in the contained water to see if it reads easily thru the hull. If the test goes well, let the area dry and go for it. You can build a dam with tape (I bet you have some around the house) for the test.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r ... great idea! Thanks for that. I have been having some trouble with mine and this is just a good excuse for me to put in a new one. I can not get a reading at speed, only while idling. Once I get underway I don't have a reading at all. I haven't really minded too much seeing I know the lake pretty well but could definitely use this if I were boating more at night. Thanks again!!

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When installing inside , epoxy style. Are you guys putting it in engine compartment or even further back? I have sx192

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Yamaha biggie , I haven't looked Ike's at the 190 up close, but most of the boats have compartment liners, so to get to the actual hull, you need to get under the clean out tray. The engine compartment has a finished compartment floor (liner). So you have to go aft to get away from that.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply. I will open up the wet storage area and check there. I couldn't think of that name earlier, wet storage! Is that where everyone is putting it?

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you don't want to drill... the bilge is a VERY good place for thru hull transducers on our boats. Absolutely zero cavitation and if all you're looking for is sonar (and not water temp or downward/side imaging) then it's a great placement without having to go through the fiberglass. I have a "sonar phone" transducer going into my bilge area this coming spring.
I've long had a plan to mount the transducer inside the hull. Just haven't gotten around to it. My depth gauge is not reliable on the transom.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well here's my personal findings. My transducer is a transom mount style. Not in the hull but I didn't want to drill. I placed playdoe below the wet locker . I figured if it can read thru epoxy I can test my location with playdoe. Well that didn't work, but then I placed it in a bag of water and it worked perfect through the hull. But I have no way to seal it in. Any suggestions? I mean it worked good up to 30 mph, clear view sonar . I didn't want to have to fill a bag of water every time, but I will if I can't think of anything else. I am Burnt! 1st day of wake boarding after winter break

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like some others i had mine bolted to the ride plate20170304_125310.jpg 20170304_125320.jpg

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So if I had good reading with the bag of water , it should be ok to epoxy? I'm worried it won't work and then I have to remove epoxy. But the bag of water worked, playdoe was a no...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You have to have zero air bubbles and play doe is full of air. When you mix the epoxy, do it slowly and don't whip air into it.

Yamaha biggie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well it worked perfect. Had to wait a week to test, but today was the day. Epoxy = zero air bubbles, I guess! I'm not sure if this is normal but I lose signal at higher speeds, but it's perfect while trolling. Thanks for all the advise.