• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

optimas on sliding tray, tucked away

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I remember someone mentioned doing this a ago, so this spring I gave it a shot. Very happy with the extra space and the easyoung removal of the batteries for winter storage. I used heavy duty drawer slides, pvc trimboard, and velcro straps, all from Home Depot. I believe I had to extend a couple wires to make sure the batteries would slide all the way back and forward without any issues, but everything seems to have worked out great. Also, made a couple locator pegs to keep the batteries in the correct place. I have a couple more pics at home, I will add to this thread later.
20140423_181037.jpg 20140423_181057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice idea...I would like to do this mod to gain additional storage space. It will also move the battery out of the way. Interested in seeing more pics so I can get an idea of hot to properly execute this.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found my other pictures from the install. Was too complicated, measure 3 times, cut once lol. I just used a pin with a a spring loaded ball at the end to keep the tray in place when it is tucked away.I check the velcro from time to time and it has never come loose. Any questions, hollar!
IMG-20140413-WA0010.jpg IMG-20140413-WA0012.jpg IMG-20140413-WA0014.jpg IMG-20140413-WA0018.jpg IMG-20140413-WA0016.jpg
Edited by txav8r to show full images

Last edited by a moderator:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Very Nice Zel! I did mine with AGM's also so I should never have to move them far and they are in boxes. But...here I am, not 2 months in the boat, and I am moving one to the other side to balance the load...the list drives me crazy!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r you could leave the battery where it is and use trim tabs to level the boat when underway. Or you could take up goofy side wake surfing:D

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last year this would have been on the list to do as it does get it nicely out of the way but now that space has been reserved for ballast bag installation,

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mel, my fat ass and a full cooler usually keep the boat from listing to the left, lol. :woot:

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice Setup, I did the same with 4 batteries. works out quite well.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was consideiring doing this, but the listing drives me nuts as I am often in the boat alone. Gotta add some battery related mods to my winter mod list. . . . might as well tee this one up too. Ugh. :banghead:

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@zelone I am going to start this project this weekend. Great idea, thanks. How deep does the pin go into the hull? I assume there is a double hull in that area. Is makes me nervous drilling into the hull.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I never did move a battery @zelone, and I too just start sth rowing the cooler on the right. So far, it's good enough. I like the look of your tray and the drawer slides. Looks like arrest mod! I may do it just to make my minimal movement easy to access. Right now I am changing battery chargers and have to get them out to attach new leads. Nice job! Oh, I edited the two posts with pictures to show the full images instead of a reader having to open individual thumbnails.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I moved my batteries under the port seat as well. Only I used the battery cases (Walmart has them) with tie down straps. When the straps are removed they slide in or out pretty easily. I can access the straps through the access port under the seat. Just make sure to leave enough slack in the wiring. Just another option.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Nice man!
I kinda wonder about the recessed batteries of the 2017's and how that could work on my boat. I'm too chicken to start cutting holes though...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Ronnie , it is hard to justify the AGM's. You have to look beyond the average guy and batteries. Average guy doesn't do any battery maintenance, and doesn't worry as much about his boat wearing out or depreciating. Many of us take pride in them and while I know we all have a different idea of what that looks like, we also have so very much in common. AGM's give you a true no maintenance in terms of checking and filling them with distilled water, which is necessary to get their expected life and protect the interior of the boat. That one feature, and not having acid deteriorating my interior is enough for me. They do take a bit more amps than standard lead acid deep cycle batteries, so they will charge a tad faster...if you have enough of a charger to hit them with. The are heavier, have thicker plates, usually have better construction, and will give you more peace of mind. Other than that, a lead acid deep cycle is cheaper, much cheaper. Given this mod of a sliding tray, the ease of checking them is so "easy", it almost eliminates the benefit of AGM's. My batteries are just as far back as the tray takes them, but I don't have to get to them except to change them...or add another charger lead. :rolleyes: The benefit of no off gassing or leaks has to be appreciated, especially if you have a pristine interior even in the compartments. And the switch and additional wiring many have will go on with less corrosion because of it. So while it is not necessary, it is beneficial, if you can see the value in it. Otherwise, a couple of deep cycle group 27 or 31's will get you where you want to go! I like your tray too! I have to say, I can't imagine drawer slides capable of extending fully with the load of two group 31's!!! Those are heavy duty slides!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@txav8r , thanks for the input. An interstate battery store just opened nearby after comparing their battery specs and prices to those of optima's the choice was an easy one. If the optima's would last twice as long I could see spending twice as much on them but that's not the case so I'm sure I will find another use for the money.

image.jpeg image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Ronnie , if you have not yet purchased those interstates, it would serve you better to forget the cranking batteries, and get deep cycle batteries. The can take the deep depletion snd recovery cycles much better than a start battery. Lots of precious discussions about battery structure and how they perform, as well as how our engines just don't demand a high amp cranking battery. That is one of the AGM benefits, in that they can take the deeper cycles too. Get deep cycle batteries and leave the cranking batteries to those guys that sorry about their props!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @txav8r but I already bought these after discussing the same with the salesman. Initially i was going to buy one cranking / starting battery and one deep cycle / house battery but after i told him about the stock charging system and the dual bank on board charger I use off the water he recommended that I get the same battery type regardless of what I chose. I wanted to get batteries with at least as much Mca and cca as the ones I am replacing (see pic), which lasted over four years, so the cranking battery was the way to go.

image.jpeg

FYI - the salesman went on to say the same as you mentioned above, that is that the deep cycle batteries handle depletion and recharging better but given my expected use and charging habits it shouldn't matter for me. He recommended that the agm route for the pwcs because of the relative beating/vibration they are exposed to.
Lastly, he stated the optima changed ownership a few years ago and as a result their product is not as good as it used to be. That didn't factor into my decision not to buy optimas though, it was all about the cost/bang for the buck to me.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys convinced me to exchange my interstate cranking batteries for agms with the same specs,paid way too much but really like the zero maintenance aspect of agms.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember someone mentioned doing this a ago, so this spring I gave it a shot. Very happy with the extra space and the easyoung removal of the batteries for winter storage. I used heavy duty drawer slides, pvc trimboard, and velcro straps, all from Home Depot. I believe I had to extend a couple wires to make sure the batteries would slide all the way back and forward without any issues, but everything seems to have worked out great. Also, made a couple locator pegs to keep the batteries in the correct place. I have a couple more pics at home, I will add to this thread later.
View attachment 10640 View attachment 10641
Did you have to extend the cables?