• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Option/Accessory Review Compilation

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys,

Really excited to see all the content you've posted of the new Scarabs. I was hoping to collect some feedback on the options and accessories that all the new Scarab owners purchase with their boats. These boats are tough to check out in person where I am, so I'm doing research and thought it might help others, too.

For the options yours came with, in your opinion, is the option worth it? How's the build quality, functionality, looks, etc.? Would love to see your thoughts (and pictures!) on these things.

The options list on the Scarab website is really screwy, so any corrections or anomalies you've noticed would be interesting too. I get the sense that the list of what comes standard or is available on each model is all screwed up.

I'll try to compile all your thoughts on the items below. Thanks to the guys who've already left the great feedback in other threads. Hope you guys don't mind me quoting you. If so, just let me know and I'll delete.

From the Scarab website:
  • Bimini Top ($616)
  • Cruise control ($411)
  • Bolster seats ($308)
    • @Frogboy: built in Bolster seat. You just fold it up to give you a booster to sit on. It’s remarkably comfortable and made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the boat.
    • @ScarabMike: Get them. Incredible comfort and snug.
  • Depth sounder ($130)
    • @ScarabMike: You will need this. Even though you can get into extreme shallows, its always good to know.
  • Snap-in carpet ($233)
    • @Frogboy: The snap in carpet doesn’t have nearly enough snaps. Wind can (and does) get under the carpet causing it to come up occasionally if going high speed (60MPH for extended periods).
    • @ScarabMike: Very comfortable on your feet, kinda like a bur bur with a rubber backing.
  • Swim platform mat ($308)
    • @ScarabMike: Your feet will love you if the weather is very hot. Maybe can source a custom one from Seadek cheaper.
  • Scarab Digital Ride Management system: Docking, SKI, ECO, Cruise modes ($1,370)
    • @Frogboy: I definitely recommend the upgraded engine controls (eco, dock, etc.) ...
      I found the Cruise and Ski modes to be kind of gimmicky but the Docking and Eco modes are immensely useful. These modes, in effect, give the onboard computer more say over how the engine runs.
      The docking mode made low speed maneuvering extremely easy. I’m pretty versed in jet boat use at this point but I was struck by how much more precision the docking mode gave me.

The eco mode gives the computer more control over how the engine runs in order to save a great deal of fuel. I have only done some testing with this but I would guess that it’s about a 20% savings on fuel. The only downside is that you can’t run the boat as fast.
    • @flycast209: I would not buy a 500 hp boat without the DECS. The ramp settings and gps controlled speed are a necessity. After owning a Speedster 150 and a Speedster 200, I will never go back. In fact, my wife is now a pro at pulling up skiers, wakeboarders, and surfers at the touch of a button, recalling the different settings easily. And less stressful, since no one has to yell at her. :winkingthumbsup"
    • @ScarabMike: Docking mode is awesome! It will make it soo easy, youll look like a pro. Almost like a joystick controlled boat.
  • Foldable wakeboard tower with bimini top ($3,349)
    • @Frogboy: The tower is rock solid. ... I also really like the Bimini top. It’s very firm and holds up well to going high speed. It also provides the driver and copilot a nice bit of shade. It’s fairly easy to take down if you choose not to be covered. Having it up does cost you about 5MPH in top speed. & ... Bimini top which is very firm and one of my favorite features of the boat.
    • @ScarabMike: Comes sprayed with Gatorhyde, and SOLID. The speakers look cook, but you can probably get better aftermarket ones. I love mine...
  • Custom trailering cover ($822)
  • Cockpit and bow covers ($548)
    • @ScarabMike: Very good quality, and fitted. It will save your interior. Looks like its made with Sunbrella material.
  • Walk-through door ($171)
  • Cockpit table ($534)
  • Bow filler cushions ($240)
  • Fire extinguisher ($253)
    • @ScarabMike: You get one with your Coat Guard kit. If not in your area, save your cash and buy one at Walmart for $200 less.
  • Underwater and docking lights ($445) [only an option on 215?)
  • Wake Blast system – 1,000 pound capacity, 3 bags that can be independently loaded and customized for wake preference ($1,678)
  • Tower speakers by Kicker – pair (Only available w/ Premium sound system option) ($747)
    • @Joseph Baxter: I had an issue with the wake tower speakers not working properly...they were just playing an echo of the music...I took it back and they corrected the issue.
  • Scarab Smart Mat carpet ($1,363)
    • @ScarabMike: Its incredible, very soft with the Scarab Logo. It lets water pass, and drain.
    • @Joseph Baxter: Flooring feels really good. It is an extra cost item but way too expensive. We had no choice really but to get it as it was the only one at the dealer. There is a caveat....it gets smoking hot in the sun so we keep the bimini up and it is just fine. And they did have to send us a new one because every time we opened the ski locker it tore it till it was just two pieces. We plan to cut the new one into two pieces but nice neat cuts. They let us keep the old one so when that one is crap we will change it out. ...it has a "tongue" if you will...so the only part that lifts is the part that covers the ski locker. So it is about 1.5ft x 3ft of the floor covering that lifts.
  • Premium sound system – Sony® radio with iPod control, Kicker® amps, and speakers with L.E.D. lights and subwoofer ($1,575)
    • @GIII: Issue/symptoms: None of the buttons on the sony radio work, except for the volume control... the remote button sets at the helm and transom work fine, and the infrared remote works. Possible resolution: @ScarabMike reports that there's a setting to default the stereo controls to the remotes, will report back.
    • @Frogboy: Great sound system [but] Using the stereo is a pita. Mine came with the premium sound system and it is amazing. There are several speakers throughout the boat and 3 sets of controls around the boat for controlling sound. The Sony stereo was a snap to setup Bluetooth Audio with my iPhone.
    • @ScarabMike: While the Kicker speaker and amps are awesome, the head unit has a history of failing. Its very common, but will need to be replaced with a better unit like a Fusion. For whatever reason Sony just isn't good in a Marine environment. The issue with the non responsiveness is corrosion, and electrolysis between the face plate and the main unit. If your lucky enough, you'll be able to scrape it off and spray the contacts. If its inside, get ready to either make a trip to the dealer, or buy another unit.
  • Scarab custom trailer, galvanized with GatorHyde® finish ($911)
    • @ScarabMike: Best upgrade if you trailer your boat. Virtually indestructible, and makes maintenance a breeze ESPECIALLY for salt water use. GET IT!
  • Tandem-axle trailer ($856)
  • Spare tire and mount ($274)
  • Spare tire and mount, aluminum ($390)

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, let me try.....

• Bolster seats ($308)---- Get them. Incredible comfort and snug.
  • Depth sounder ($130) ---- You will need this. Even though you can get into extreme shallows, its always good to know.
  • Snap-in carpet ($233) ---- Very comfortable on your feet, kinda like a bur bur with a rubber backing.
  • Swim platform mat ($308) ---- Your feet will love you if the weather is very hot. Maybe can source a custom one from Seadek cheaper.
  • Premium sound system – Sony® radio with iPod control, Kicker® amps, and speakers with L.E.D. lights and subwoofer ($1,575) ----- While the Kicker speaker and amps are awesome, the head unit has a history of failing. Its very common, but will need to be replaced with a better unit like a Fusion. For whatever reason Sony just isn't good in a Marine environment. The issue with the non responsiveness is corrosion, and electrolysis between the face plate and the main unit. If your lucky enough, you'll be able to scrape it off and spray the contacts. If its inside, get ready to either make a trip to the dealer, or buy another unit.
  • Foldable wakeboard tower with bimini top ($3,349) ---- Comes sprayed with Gatorhyde, and SOLID. The speakers look cook, but you can probably get better aftermarket ones. I love mine....
  • Scarab custom trailer, galvanized with GatorHyde® finish ($911)------ Best upgrade if you trailer your boat. Virtually indestructible, and makes maintenance a breeze ESPECIALLY for salt water use. GET IT!
  • Scarab Digital Ride Management system: Docking, SKI, ECO, Cruise modes ($1,370)---- Docking mode is awesome! It will make it soo easy, youll look like a pro. Almost like a joystick controlled boat.
  • Fire extinguisher ($253)---- You get one with your Coat Guard kit. If not in your area, save your cash and buy one at Walmart for $200 less.
  • Cockpit and bow covers ($548)---- Very good quality, and fitted. It will save your interior. Looks like its made with Sunbrella material.

Last edited:

rufnek47

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey guys where do you buy these accessories at???

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys where do you buy these accessories at???
The guys who owns these things might be a better source, but having spoken briefly with my local dealer, they indicated that most would need to be ordered with the boat. I'm sure for many, you can order them through the dealer after the fact.

I'm not aware of any third-party outlets, however.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can order accessories through your dealer. From what I have seen, its a pretty quick turnaround.

rufnek47

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have been looking for accessories from an after market store. I should've ordered the bad a$$ stereo system with the boat but did n0t know it was an option. So, I will piece it together a little at a time.

Thanks Much
Jeff

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
The one item that should be updated is the Fire Extinguisher.. The unit that is an option when ordering the boat is not a handheld unit. Its an installed engine fire suppression unit. Not the same as your handheld ones for $30 at the marine store. I would recommend getting the fire suppression system as the second you open the engine hatch the fire will get a huge source of fresh air making it harder to control with the suppression system it will be much better at putting the fire out.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm buying a 195 impulse ho fri...doesn't the impulse come with all of this stuff.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PapaBear

195HO Impulse options:
Options:
TOW SPORTS

• Wake Blast System $1,967
  • Wakeboard tower speakers (Requires premium sound system) $727
  • Wakeboard tower, delete $-1,600
  • Wakeboard racks (Only available w/ tower option) $573

COCKPIT

• Cushions, bow fill-in $233
  • Flooring, custom Scarab® Smart Mat $1,167
  • Table, cockpit $313
  • Walk-thru door $187

HELM

• Digital Speed Control Package – SKI, ECO, cruise control and docking modes* $1,067

ENGINE/SYSTEMS

• Fire extinguisher, fixed (Required with CE destinations) $293

ENTERTAINMENT

• Premium Sound System, Sony®stereo, Kicker® amp., subwoofer, transom remote, speaker lights $1,567

CANVAS

• Cockpit cover & bow cover $533
  • Custom trailering cover (Black) $800

TRAILER

• Aluminum spare tire & mount $380
  • Galvanized trailer w/ GatorHyde®finish and brakes $887
  • Spare tire & mount $267
  • Wheels, aluminum $300

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If one doesn't order the SmartMat, what is the other option? Is it snap-in carpeting, or just bare fiberglass deck or what?

Also, any reason to get the bow/cockpit cover if one has to purchase the trailering cover anyway? Any advantage to having the extra covers?

Thanks in advance.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Aces_Over_Kings I think the snap in carpet is standard in the HO Impulse. To be honest, I would have rather had the trailering cover rather than the bow/stern. I don't like all the snaps on the exterior of the boat.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh man, yeah, sharper eyes would've seen the snap-in carpet under the standard features of the HOI.

So you don't see any need to own/order both types of cover, right? I trailer my boat everywhere, so I think the trailer cover could pull double duty as storage cover. Not sure what the use case is for the bow/stern. Easier when it's in a slip I guess?

Thanks again, and sorry for the question I should've self-helped!

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got a stupid question...what's the difference from the Scarab Impulse HO or Scarab Impulse HOI...​

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PapaBear

Black hull
exterior paint scheme/decal
interior fabric
tower is standard
250HP engine standard on 195
snap in carpet is standard
scarab embroidered tower Bimini top
standard stainless steel accents, cup holders

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ok that's the one I'm getting...scared me there for a second. I've just seen pics of it. I've got the Purchase order and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I did a walk through at a marine max store but it was one of the standard models. They tried real hard to sell it to me. I love all those extra goodies with the Impulse and after reading this forum looks as though I'm going to need to add some more myself.

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi guys,

Really excited to see all the content you've posted of the new Scarabs. I was hoping to collect some feedback on the options and accessories that all the new Scarab owners purchase with their boats. These boats are tough to check out in person where I am, so I'm doing research and thought it might help others, too.

For the options yours came with, in your opinion, is the option worth it? How's the build quality, functionality, looks, etc.? Would love to see your thoughts (and pictures!) on these things.

The options list on the Scarab website is really screwy, so any corrections or anomalies you've noticed would be interesting too. I get the sense that the list of what comes standard or is available on each model is all screwed up.

I'll try to compile all your thoughts on the items below. Thanks to the guys who've already left the great feedback in other threads. Hope you guys don't mind me quoting you. If so, just let me know and I'll delete.

From the Scarab website:
  • Bimini Top ($616)
  • Cruise control ($411)
  • Bolster seats ($308)
    • @Frogboy: built in Bolster seat. You just fold it up to give you a booster to sit on. It’s remarkably comfortable and made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the boat.
    • @ScarabMike: Get them. Incredible comfort and snug.
  • Depth sounder ($130)
    • @ScarabMike: You will need this. Even though you can get into extreme shallows, its always good to know.
  • Snap-in carpet ($233)
    • @Frogboy: The snap in carpet doesn’t have nearly enough snaps. Wind can (and does) get under the carpet causing it to come up occasionally if going high speed (60MPH for extended periods).
    • @ScarabMike: Very comfortable on your feet, kinda like a bur bur with a rubber backing.
  • Swim platform mat ($308)
    • @ScarabMike: Your feet will love you if the weather is very hot. Maybe can source a custom one from Seadek cheaper.
  • Scarab Digital Ride Management system: Docking, SKI, ECO, Cruise modes ($1,370)
    • @Frogboy: I definitely recommend the upgraded engine controls (eco, dock, etc.) ...
      I found the Cruise and Ski modes to be kind of gimmicky but the Docking and Eco modes are immensely useful. These modes, in effect, give the onboard computer more say over how the engine runs.
      The docking mode made low speed maneuvering extremely easy. I’m pretty versed in jet boat use at this point but I was struck by how much more precision the docking mode gave me.

The eco mode gives the computer more control over how the engine runs in order to save a great deal of fuel. I have only done some testing with this but I would guess that it’s about a 20% savings on fuel. The only downside is that you can’t run the boat as fast.
    • @flycast209: I would not buy a 500 hp boat without the DECS. The ramp settings and gps controlled speed are a necessity. After owning a Speedster 150 and a Speedster 200, I will never go back. In fact, my wife is now a pro at pulling up skiers, wakeboarders, and surfers at the touch of a button, recalling the different settings easily. And less stressful, since no one has to yell at her. :winkingthumbsup"
    • @ScarabMike: Docking mode is awesome! It will make it soo easy, youll look like a pro. Almost like a joystick controlled boat.
  • Foldable wakeboard tower with bimini top ($3,349)
    • @Frogboy: The tower is rock solid. ... I also really like the Bimini top. It’s very firm and holds up well to going high speed. It also provides the driver and copilot a nice bit of shade. It’s fairly easy to take down if you choose not to be covered. Having it up does cost you about 5MPH in top speed. & ... Bimini top which is very firm and one of my favorite features of the boat.
    • @ScarabMike: Comes sprayed with Gatorhyde, and SOLID. The speakers look cook, but you can probably get better aftermarket ones. I love mine...
  • Custom trailering cover ($822)
  • Cockpit and bow covers ($548)
    • @ScarabMike: Very good quality, and fitted. It will save your interior. Looks like its made with Sunbrella material.
  • Walk-through door ($171)
  • Cockpit table ($534)
  • Bow filler cushions ($240)
  • Fire extinguisher ($253)
    • @ScarabMike: You get one with your Coat Guard kit. If not in your area, save your cash and buy one at Walmart for $200 less.
  • Underwater and docking lights ($445) [only an option on 215?)
  • Wake Blast system – 1,000 pound capacity, 3 bags that can be independently loaded and customized for wake preference ($1,678)
  • Tower speakers by Kicker – pair (Only available w/ Premium sound system option) ($747)
    • @Joseph Baxter: I had an issue with the wake tower speakers not working properly...they were just playing an echo of the music...I took it back and they corrected the issue.
  • Scarab Smart Mat carpet ($1,363)
    • @ScarabMike: Its incredible, very soft with the Scarab Logo. It lets water pass, and drain.
    • @Joseph Baxter: Flooring feels really good. It is an extra cost item but way too expensive. We had no choice really but to get it as it was the only one at the dealer. There is a caveat....it gets smoking hot in the sun so we keep the bimini up and it is just fine. And they did have to send us a new one because every time we opened the ski locker it tore it till it was just two pieces. We plan to cut the new one into two pieces but nice neat cuts. They let us keep the old one so when that one is crap we will change it out. ...it has a "tongue" if you will...so the only part that lifts is the part that covers the ski locker. So it is about 1.5ft x 3ft of the floor covering that lifts.
  • Premium sound system – Sony® radio with iPod control, Kicker® amps, and speakers with L.E.D. lights and subwoofer ($1,575)
    • @GIII: Issue/symptoms: None of the buttons on the sony radio work, except for the volume control... the remote button sets at the helm and transom work fine, and the infrared remote works. Possible resolution: @ScarabMike reports that there's a setting to default the stereo controls to the remotes, will report back.
    • @Frogboy: Great sound system [but] Using the stereo is a pita. Mine came with the premium sound system and it is amazing. There are several speakers throughout the boat and 3 sets of controls around the boat for controlling sound. The Sony stereo was a snap to setup Bluetooth Audio with my iPhone.
    • @ScarabMike: While the Kicker speaker and amps are awesome, the head unit has a history of failing. Its very common, but will need to be replaced with a better unit like a Fusion. For whatever reason Sony just isn't good in a Marine environment. The issue with the non responsiveness is corrosion, and electrolysis between the face plate and the main unit. If your lucky enough, you'll be able to scrape it off and spray the contacts. If its inside, get ready to either make a trip to the dealer, or buy another unit.
  • Scarab custom trailer, galvanized with GatorHyde® finish ($911)
    • @ScarabMike: Best upgrade if you trailer your boat. Virtually indestructible, and makes maintenance a breeze ESPECIALLY for salt water use. GET IT!
  • Tandem-axle trailer ($856)
  • Spare tire and mount ($274)
  • Spare tire and mount, aluminum ($390)
Question-what is the difference between the Scarab Custom Trailer and the Galvanized Trailer? Is the Scarab Custom an aluminum trailer? Are these single or dual axle? On their product pdf they list two, but on the website they do not identify which one they are selling.

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@CaptRob you can order either a single axle or a dual axle trailer - it is steel. Very sold and perfect fit for the 215.

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks Luanders. I'm learning that if you order one through MarineMax it can cost upwards of $3000-4000 as they hit you for the full shipping of the OEM trailer from Michigan.