• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Out of state boat purchase

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Considering buying a new boat in Louisiana from Yamaha dealership and I live in Texas. Does anybody know if the Louisiana dealership can title/register the boat in Texas or if that is something I need to do myself?

I certainly want to avoid doing it myself and could not find info online about this. I am asking the dealership this but would like to know your opinion if you have gone through this.

JonKTX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought mine at a dealer in Oklahoma and I live in Texas. Paperwork was not a problem. The dealer did it all if I remember correct.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Considering buying a new boat in Louisiana from Yamaha dealership and I live in Texas. Does anybody know if the Louisiana dealership can title/register the boat in Texas or if that is something I need to do myself?

I certainly want to avoid doing it myself and could not find info online about this. I am asking the dealership this but would like to know your opinion if you have gone through this.
@cjaysanchez .....I sold a 38 foot cruiser from Canada that went to Chicago. NO problems. State to State - a BREEZE! If you have found a boat you want DO IT!!!!! :cool:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought in WI and they did my IL paperwork no problem. Usually if you are buying in a neighboring state the dealer will have the capacity to do that easily. You should have no problems.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same situation as you - live in Texas and purchased in Oklahoma.
How it worked for me on a new boat purchase a few months back:
* Dealer out of state was unable to register the boat, they will provide a Certificate of Origin (CoO) for the boat and another for the trailer.
* You will register the boat and pay taxes in Texas at the TPWD ofice (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department), few simple forms. Tax rate is ~6.5% of boat purchase price. Documents needed are bill of sale and CoO. TPWD office will only accept check or cash. They will issue the boat title 2-3 weeks later.
* You will register the trailer at your county tax appraisers office - not the DMV. Similar process to above, need bill of sale and CoO, taxes are ~6.5% and title will be issued 2-3 weeks later.

Not a difficult process but a pain in the a$$ if not familiar. TPWD require an appointment due to Covid.

cjaysanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LA state dealership confirmed they can do the registration in Tx, so will see if that is the case. If not, then I will need to do it. thank you CanTex for this summary of info needed. Great help.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Same situation as you - live in Texas and purchased in Oklahoma.
How it worked for me on a new boat purchase a few months back:
* Dealer out of state was unable to register the boat, they will provide a Certificate of Origin (CoO) for the boat and another for the trailer.
* You will register the boat and pay taxes in Texas at the TPWD ofice (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department), few simple forms. Tax rate is ~6.5% of boat purchase price. Documents needed are bill of sale and CoO. TPWD office will only accept check or cash. They will issue the boat title 2-3 weeks later.
* You will register the trailer at your county tax appraisers office - not the DMV. Similar process to above, need bill of sale and CoO, taxes are ~6.5% and title will be issued 2-3 weeks later.

Not a difficult process but a pain in the a$$ if not familiar. TPWD require an appointment due to Covid.
Great description. I did same process. Bought in Oklahoma and brought the boat back home to the Great State of Texas.
A few notes to add from my experience.
- Oklahoma does not title trailers. Texas does. Took a short conversation with tax manager to sort that process out.
- Texas requires yearly inspection of trailers over a certain weight rating. Both my 24’ yammies exceeded that rating and had to be inspected at local service station before filing at county office.
- it seems I had to have multiple checks for TPWD office or county tax office. Don’t remember specifics but be ready with extra checks.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just looked at receipts....county office required separate payment for tax of trailer versus road tags for trailer.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d recommend you download the TPWD forms before going to their office. Pretty sure you must have HIN(hull ID #) and VIN for both motors on that form.