• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Patching the Yamaha Cover

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright, so I found a little tiny hole starting in my cover last year. When I first found it we were heading out to the Dells for a week with my Wife's family (...and it occurs to me I never posted about that trip... boy I owe you guys a lot of posts...) and I wasn't going to let anything interfere with that trip so I "patched" the hole with some clear packing tape. (I've used the technique to temporarily patch sails with success so I figured it would hold my cover together for a 3 hour ride to the Dells - and it did.)

The other day @Glassman mentioned this Atwood canvas repair kit he was thinking of purchasing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B91OTQ...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_25fgmffoc7_b

I ordered the kit. It arrived within a couple of days (Thank You Amazon Prime) and yesterday I set to work.

So here's what you find when you open the box:

I opened the package and found a rather large piece of canvas, a bottle of glue, and instructions:

The ruler on the bottom is 48" and the one on the side is 24".

Here's the instructions:

And the glue bottle:

Here's the target of my angst:

Not a huge hole by any means (might have been a mouse-bite - more on that in another post) but I wanted to fix it before it became one.

So the first thing I did was cut out a piece of material for a patch. I decided to cut out two and put one piece of patch on each side.

I didn't want to have square corners to "hook" on anything so I rounded them off (Yes, I cut things out like Charlie Brown.)

With the patches cut out, it was time to apply the fabric adhesive.

The instructions say you should run a bead of it around the outside edge of the patch. Considering that the patch was so small, I took a small piece of scrap (you could use a Popsicle stick) and spread glue on the entire patch.

In this next pic, you see me applying a bead of glue around the outside edge of the patch (actually this is the 2nd patch - the one on the outside of the cover) after it has been applied. This seemed to help hold the edges down better. I hadn't done this with the first side, but I later went back and did it.

The glue cleans up with water, so it was just a matter of wiping up the excess with a wet cloth.

I also decided to do something a little different to make sure it was held in place firmly: I put a piece of wax paper on the table under the patch and another on top of the patch. Then I found a nice flat piece of scrap in my scrap-box and put it on top of the patch.

Then I stuck some weight on it:

I let it sit overnight and then this morning I took it out of the "press" and removed the wax paper. Here is the end result:

And the inside:

As mentioned, the edges of the inside patch didn't look as good so I ran a bead around it and put it in the "press" again.

After that had set fairly well, I cut another slightly bigger piece to cover the spot where the bumper on top of the windshield rubs. It wasn't a hole, but I wanted to reinforce it.

(The water in the butter tub is so that I'd have something to clean up the excess glue with.)

I did the same thing where I covered the entire patch with adhesive and also ran a bead around the outer edge with my finger:

Some more wax paper...

and some weights for the "press."

No pic of that one completed, but it looks the same as the others. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a bit stiff, but does have some flexibility. I don't think it's going to peel off but only time will tell. It will be a few weeks before I get to tow it down the road for any distance. I'll check back in and let you know how things hold up.

I were to do it again, I'd wait a few hours between doing the inside and the outside. By trying to put the patch on the outside immediately after doing the inside, I disturbed the inside patch a bit and had to go back and tack it down around the edges.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write up. Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great write up.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yes, nice write up. I have two holes on my new rv cover I need to patch, sharp edges on the solar panel tore it.

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @biglar155 , glad it worked for you. Boy, they sure do send a lot of material. Maybe I'll reinforce the areas I'm concerned about now, rather than wait for them to rip! :winkingthumbsup"

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @biglar155 , glad it worked for you. Boy, they sure do send a lot of material. Maybe I'll reinforce the areas I'm concerned about now, rather than wait for them to rip! :winkingthumbsup"
I would. No point in leaving it in the box!

I'm going to put it back on the boat and see if I can find any other areas that look like they need shoring up.

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Excellent write up, ordering patch kit today.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found that when you start to develop holes, the cover is going to deteriorate pretty quickly, probably within a year or so. If it's a tear that resulted from something, that's one thing... but if the fabric is starting to thin in some areas you should start looking around for a replacement.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found that when you start to develop holes, the cover is going to deteriorate pretty quickly, probably within a year or so. If it's a tear that resulted from something, that's one thing... but if the fabric is starting to thin in some areas you should start looking around for a replacement.
Agreed. It's only a matter of time now.

Fortunately, I store indoors so a few patches and some TLC should stretch me out for another 12 - 24 months if I'm lucky. The fabric doesn't feel too terribly bad, I honestly thing a mouse "tasted" my cover and -thankfully- it must have upset his tummy because he didn't eat any more.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Even worn, it certainly will work as a "dust" cover. The downside is
That you don't want to tow with a very worn cover...it can shred in the wind.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ordered the same kit 2 years ago and patched 2 holes on a then 10 or 11 year old cover. The patch lasted 2 seasons and just came off this spring when I took the cover off after a long and cold winter. I re-patched this spring...I was quite impressed with how the repair held up. Frankly when I bought the boat I didn't expect the OEM cover to last as far as the ramp but it is still hanging in there and I use it 12 months a year and religiously cover the boat when not in use. I wish I could find a new cover for my LS2000 in gray...tan just won't due.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how has this patch job held up for you?
@biglar155

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just saw a tiny pinhole starting in my Bimini. Called my dealer seeing its less than a year old and I do have the 5 year YES warranty. He told me they will send it out for repair! Really, I thought yamaha would replace it seeing it basically new and under warranty but nope. Thats BS. Think I may order this and just use the glue to stop it from getting bigger.