• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

People selling new boats

I saw someone list their 2022 AR250 with 7 hours for $72k just the other day. May be a different market but still tough to think they’ll get $85k for that boat.

I wouldn't think so...... Amazes me what people list some of their boats for.

I think a lot of.people also don't realize how much work it is to go boating. As others said, it's not like a car where you just get in and drive off. You have to tow it somewhere or get it at the marina, you have tonclean it, you have toncheck you gas, you gotta bring snacks and drinks and towels and whatnot. You've got no ac and they're expensive to run.

People.love boats right up until they don't. I think with covid a lot of people got into boating because it was one of the few things you could do. Now, you can go to bars and clubs and vacations again, and so a lot of people will go back to that and sell their boats.
I agree! I'm sure there are a lot of COVID boats in the mix and I know quite a few people selling the exercise equipment, bikes, etc., that they bought during that mess...all getting back to their former forms of entertainment...vacations, travel, cruises, etc. Add to that the fuel and inflation costs and well, goodbye boat. I am definitely noticing less traffic on the lake, even on beautiful weekends. My wife actually commented on the number of boats still in their slips in our marina this past weekend when the weather was gorgeous!

All that said... the supply of new boats being so limited, I suspect that the used.cpvid boats will not drop in value like some.people think.

When people start talking about the "equity " they have in their boats you know a major market correction is to soon follow

Yes and no. You can have equity in a boat if you put a ton down. You can also have equity in a boat when you have ABSOLUTELY.INSANE INFLATION. We have that, and a super constrained manufacturing sector. Right now the value of a dollar is dropping so fast that the lack of new, well everything, is propping prices up. People who would previously be new boat buyers now have to buy used if they want one, so you've got high demand still.

I don't see a correction coming. Not with the levels of scarcity and inflation we have. If things change dramatically and we kick our reliance on global supply chains and we abruptly about face on inflation, I could see in a few years the start of a steeper depreciation slide. But we would need a series of miracles for that situation to happen.

Another factor, that I just happen to find myself in, is that with first time boat buyers, many will find they didn’t buy the boat they really wanted because they didn’t know. The whole buy your second boat first thing. Didn’t really realize at the time that my son and I would use the boat more for fishing than I would tubing, etc with the whole family. I keep going back and forth on swapping for a FSH, but making the financials work in this market makes my head hurt. Ultimately decided on upgrades similar to @HangOutdoors, but I keep wondering if that was the best decision.

No way to have best of both worlds, IMHO. Just put it close for each side and enjoy!

When I go out fishing, I am annoyed that I didn't go the FSH.
When we go out with 8 people/kids and everyone is lounging about I think the boat we have is better suited for that.
When I am out in 3-4' rollers cutting across LSC or Great Lakes trying to get to or from a location, I wish I had a 25'.
When we are out in the chain of lakes and the canals rivers get tight, I am happy that I have the 21'. But not happy that I have a tower which stinks for getting under bridges and I have to take up and down.

Not sure if there is a perfect scenario........ Maybe two boats... Hmm...... I need to hit the lottery or get a third job. :)

Back