• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Perfect Pass for AR230?

Salt1972

Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are in the process of purchasing an '08 AR230 and would like to add Perfect Pass. In reading the threads, it appears we will need one of the 'older' units with servos. That system is not listed on Perfect Pass website and they closed at 3P today... I called at 3:08P of course. Does anyone know if that system is still available new and what the cost might be? Thanks--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rumor was they were not going to sell the older style after the new year. I don't think anyone heard that directly from PP though.

I also just checked their website and it said to call them directly about the older style.

Be sure to tell us what they say on Monday.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
be sure to look at the link in my signature below for known issues with that model boat,

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a similar interest. I am looking at a 2006 AR230 and want to do a control system like this or wake boaring. I was looking at a ride steady system and they mention AR210 (2006+) and AR240 (2010+) but nothing about AR230. Do the AR230s use the APS sensor, a cable all the way to the engine, or are the all electronic?

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Salt1972 I ordered a perfect pass system with the servos from jet boat pilot a couple months ago. I would try talking with them.

@personalt I do not believe the 230's use the aps sensor. You will have to get a perfect pass system with servos motors.

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@capt - Thanks.. Will call them on Monday. I am hoping to check out the boat in the next few days. If this range of year 230s dont use the APS sensor how does the throttle work? Or I guess more importantly, is the servo based system inferior? One of the main goals of the boat is, as my son gets older, to pull him on wake board or skis etc. The boat fits my budget so that is a plus but dont want to buy something that will be hard to use for my goals later

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 230's have a throttle cables. I do think the servo motors are not as good as the electronic fly by wire system but that's the only option with these models.
If your goal is to wakeboard and ski I don't think you need the perfect pass. Unless your son is planning on going pro. If that it's the case a jet boat is not the right choice. I got it mainly to surf and to help less experienced drivers keep a consistent speed while pulling me during water sports. I got tired of always being the driver and not trusting anyone to pull me. I love it so far.

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking about it for exactly the same reason, making it so my wife can drive. Would like to try some surfing but that is not primary use of boat. Kid is 8 so not going pro just yet.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet the system is not quite as good, but much better than hand adjusting for speed, specially at barely planning speeds. Keeping the boat at 16 mph is a bear for me. You are barely planning..a little juice and it jumps to 20..let it fall and 16 and 15 are almost there...requires constant attention in my SX230. I almost never run at this speed but when I do it's a pain. If you are willing to hit 19+ it's a piece of cake.

The correctly designed servo system ought to be able to control RPMs of the engine just fine. It's not rocket science, just needs to interact with the servos to make the engine change RPM vs. an electric signal, so install will be more complex and system will be less responsive, but still should work great.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have the PP on our 2007 AR230. I enthusiastically recommend it! If we are going more than 10MPH, the PP is in control of the throttles. Its not perfect, especially at lower speeds, but it is much better than manual control.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 230's have a throttle cables. I do think the servo motors are not as good as the electronic fly by wire system but that's the only option with these models.
If your goal is to wakeboard and ski I don't think you need the perfect pass. Unless your son is planning on going pro. If that it's the case a jet boat is not the right choice. I got it mainly to surf and to help less experienced drivers keep a consistent speed while pulling me during water sports. I got tired of always being the driver and not trusting anyone to pull me. I love it so far.
had it on the 2005 AR230 it was great and it worked as good as the the 242xe fly by wire as long as you do not push the throttle to far. These boats a very hard to keep at the perfect speed for wakeboarding 18 - 20 mph range. It allows other people to drive your boat and give the main operator a great pull. Its 100% necessary if you want to wake-board safely and progress at wakeboarding.

Attachments

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Salt1972 I ordered a perfect pass system with the servos from jet boat pilot a couple months ago. I would try talking with them.

@personalt I do not believe the 230's use the aps sensor. You will have to get a perfect pass system with servos motors.
I have a 2006 ar 230 we LOVE SURFING, have you tried or had success with your perfect pass with surfing? Boat paid for, get 3 months here in Wisconsin where it's warm enough to surf..I really don't want to upgrade boats just for aps..as our boat is dialed in perfect for surfing and only 130 hours on the engines. Hoping perfect pass with servos is still available but more imprtant does it hold position at say 10.8 mph for surfing.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
had it on the 2005 AR230 it was great and it worked as good as the the 242xe fly by wire as long as you do not push the throttle to far. These boats a very hard to keep at the perfect speed for wakeboarding 18 - 20 mph range. It allows other people to drive your boat and give the main operator a great pull. Its 100% necessary if you want to wake-board safely and progress at wakeboarding.

View attachment 106656
Ever try to surf with servo system

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many members with mr1 engine/PP surfing

I wouldn't want to try to do it without it, as captain you can leave the speed worry behind and focus on safety/rider/passengers

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We surf all the time, no perfect pass, no problem. It's more critical for wakeboarding in my opinion.

Rockbtm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in this. I want to purchase for my 08 AR230 before they don’t sell the servos anymore. I see some have tried it and some swear by it. Is there any other company out there for this

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PP works perfect for us on 08 ar230...no pun intended. Surfing, boarding whatever. With .1-.2 mph variance, that’s it. 10.3-10.5 perfect. 12 seasons had to replace 1 service motor and his antenna and likely need to replace display this year if available. There is no alternative.