• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please Help - Trailer Bunks Scratching Black Hull

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't realize so many unhook the bow winch before its in the water.
I always leave mine hooked and tight until it's in the water, if for some reason (kid/dog run behind you) you have to hit the brakes while backing down I'd be afraid the boat would slide off.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the replies. I dumped the boat in the water tonight, tied up, and towed the trailer back home. After finer inspection I found very fine sand in the bunk carpet. Not a lot but I guess enough to do what I was seeing. My guess is it was that way from the dealer. At any rate a pressure washer worked wonders in removing the fine sand.

We had a spot on the lake last summer but are preparing to relocate and no longer have that property. So I am putting in either in the bay that is a stone's throw from my home or one of the 4 lakes that are within 15 minutes from me. I have always unhooked the bow at the bottom of the ramp at the lakes around me but never had to launch frequently. As it gets warmer and there are more kids playing around the ramps I may need to rethink that.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick update since another member has experienced this. I did replace the carpet with boatmate trailer brand carpet (great stuff). I also make sure to give the boat a good hard brake after loading and retighten the winch and straps. I also make sure the bunks are completely and freshly wet before loading.
A good buffing removed most of the fine scratches and at some point I will have a shop sling it to do the rest that could not be taken care of while on the trailer.

Won't be much of an issue for me anymore since I am relocating and my boat will only come out of the water to work on it.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point. @0627Devildog what has been your experience? Do you keep the bow hooked to the strap until floating? If not have you ever been worried the boat would slip off while back down the ramp?
I silicone my bunks. I loosen my strap about a foot or so and back it in the water. Then I unhook right before getting in the boat. When you silicone the bunks they are like ice, boat slides right off.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We do the same. Loosen the winch strap a turn so it has some slack on it when it gets in the water.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd recommend (and do so myself) to leave BOTH the safety cable and the winch strap on and tight when backing down the ramp. All it would take would be one tap on a brake pedal too hard, and the boat can slide right off the trailer and literally onto the ramp. It only takes a second to unhook both when the trailer is at the proper depth...and it only takes that same second for the boat to slide off the trailer and onto the ramp.