• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polished Stainless Boat Registration Numbers - Coast Guard ok with them?

MGrande305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was thinking of using polished stainless boat registration numbers on my boat (Over dark blue hull). Was wondering if anyone else has them and if the coast guard would pull me over for that.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
As long as they are the correct size then there is nothing wrong with that. No regulation stating that it has to be vinyl. Plenty of larger yachts have the name and port in polished or brushed metal

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A buddy of mine had chrome registration number and he gets checked/boarded all the time. The rangers never mention the numbers.
My buddy is starting to think that might be the reason, they have to look at him a little harder to see. I've only been checked once in 10 years, mine are black.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think you're opening yourself up to potential issues using mirror-finish letters. I've got absolutely zero issues with law enforcement, but I'm still not trying to give them a reason to give me the stink eye or come aboard my vessel looking for issues.

If you want something a little nicer than plain, block letters go for some white letters with a little bit of script to them, just make sure it's still easy to read.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nobody likes to be delayed. If you choose to use them or not. One thing that may help you so they pass you by is scheduling one of these marine inspections from your local marine authority to display. "Unless you are acting like a jerk, this will get you a pass by."

20200711_142422.jpg

Last edited:

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nothing can ruin the mood more, when the wife is kicking her thong and the ranger stops buy. :confused:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A buddy of mine had chrome registration number and he gets checked/boarded all the time. The rangers never mention the numbers.
My buddy is starting to think that might be the reason, they have to look at him a little harder to see. I've only been checked once in 10 years, mine are black.
The marine unit guys that I know pull over idiots and boats with bikinis. ;P

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I was thinking of using polished stainless boat registration numbers on my boat (Over dark blue hull). Was wondering if anyone else has them and if the coast guard would pull me over for that.
If the lighting is wrong, the shiny numbers won't contrast and you could be given a ticket or summons. I would just stick to the rules to avoid the hassles and unnecessary stops.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As long as they are the correct size then there is nothing wrong with that. No regulation stating that it has to be vinyl. Plenty of larger yachts have the name and port in polished or brushed metal
Boat names and port or origin are not regulated, so you can be creative. Registration numbers are strictly regulated for safety reasons.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Actually they are. Well the name is not regulated but the hailing port is because the name and hailing port replaces the #’s. On a boat with a hailing port you dont jave registration #’s on the hull. Hailing port is supposed to be 4” in height. In a nutshell Your name and port are registered and this takes the place of hull #’s.

Last edited:

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have chrome numbers against gray gel coat on my 2019 242se, they look amazing. Have had multiple coast guard inspections on Lake Erie and sheriff dock checks on inland lakes, never a complaint. Several folks on this forum have voiced concern over “lack of contrast” with this combination as a reason for attention from the law. Unlike everywhere else, on the water, the coasties don’t need probable cause to board you... as others here have said, they can do it for any reason they want. And if the sheriffs come for you, they spotted that beer in your hand with their binoculars from the other side of the lake, they’re not going to come and use lack of contrast as a reason to cite. At the end of the day, if you’re still worried, maybe those white stickers from wal-mart are the best bet...

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@MGrande305, If you don’t do anything stupid or illegal they shouldn’t need to bother you or stop you. They are not just going to stop you just for registration unless it clearly violates regulations. In this case, polished SS finish is silver in color and on blue boat is considered contrasting as required by regulation. This would be a situation no different IMO than dark tinted windows on a car, generally you don’t get pulled over just for that, but if you get pulled over for something else and have darker than legal windows, you will get a ticket. Ask me how I know?
I’ve had silver raised lettering on white background for 10 years (212 SS below), no issues. I’ve had polished raised lettering on my current boat since 2019, no issues. Only sharing my thoughts and experience here. Get the polished ones but obey the law on the water and you should be fine. If they hassle you, plastidip, paint, or your favorite color tape and a razor blade will take care of the issue 😁

Happy boating!

1F29A117-7666-4EDE-B96B-27061CC3853A.jpeg
6E97ECA6-33B9-4318-AF63-406278B6071E.jpeg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always had this style, ever since the "3D"-style, shiny/chrome(?) became available a few years back. Never had any issues.
1616040976011.png
1616041188917.png

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have always had this style, ever since the "3D"-style, shiny/chrome(?) became available a few years back. Never had any issues.
View attachment 144590

--
What does the new CG Aux. member say about that?

Actually they are. Well the name is not regulated but the hailing port is because the name and hailing port replaces the #’s. On a boat with a hailing port you dont jave registration #’s on the hull. Hailing port is supposed to be 4” in height. In a nutshell Your name and port are registered and this takes the place of hull #’s.
If you register your boat with the coast guard, not with the state you live in, you will be given a number. That number needs to be painted to the inside of the hull and the boat name and hailing port displayed on the stern/transom. 4" min. letter height is correct. Our Beneteau was at one time registered with the USCG and has the # displayed on the hull under the sink in the head. I believe the original owner in Conn. registered her this way. She was named "Indulgence" then. It has since lapsed and we register with our State now as other PO's in Vt. did.

EDIT: I was wrong about the numbers on the sail. They do not match the documentation #. It needs to be 6 or 7 numbers. Not the 5 on the sails

Screenshot_20210318-063140_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-063140_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-063151_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-063211_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

This document explains the coast guard boating regs. A boaters guide to federal requirements for recreational boats. 420 pdf.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does the new CG Aux. member say about that?
Okay, I see what you did there - making me nervous now, lol.

Well, I was the one who picked those numbers, and yes, I think she would be pretty pissed if we got summoned by one of her new colleagues.
Frankly though, in the background of the white hull, those numbers really stick out, more conspicuous than black actually under different light conditions. I would think LEOs would generally appreciate that, the numbers can be read across the lake.
:cool:

--

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i have been on hundreds of yachts in the past 25 years, maybe thousands and never have i seen a single one with numbers on the interior of the boat anywhere. its just not something that is done. i assume the captain needs to know what those #'s are or needs to be able to produce documentation of what they are upon request but other than that, you will never see a a registered yacht with them on display. commercial fishing boats, etc different story. this a bit off topic from the original post and another discussion all together. in the end i dont think there is any reason for any of us to shy away from the chrome #'so on out boats. honestly if you get pulled over and they want to give you a ticket for something then they will. they can really make up anything. if you went to court they would have a hard time proving the #'s dont contrast. its very subjective. you get pulled over for inspection be a nice compliant guy. dont be an ass and you will be fine.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i have been on hundreds of yachts in the past 25 years, maybe thousands and never have i seen a single one with numbers on the interior of the boat anywhere. its just not something that is done.
If it is USCG documented/registered, it has to be done. Look for a number that looks like this next time. It will most likely not have State reg. #'s on the bow. You do not need to register with both. Ours had lapsed under a previous ownership. And we paid tax to the state on purchase and re-registered with the State. You don't have to pay the tax to State if USCG registered. But the reinstatement/renewal fee for the USCG # was around the tax amt.

I have been on only 6 sailboats in my life, 4 were USCG registered. like I said, mine is in the head under the sink on the hull.

20210318_092038.jpg
20210318_092109.jpg

20210318_092138.jpg

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Oh yes, hidden maybe somewhere but certainly not out visible anywhere in display. I thought thats what you meant

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have seen pictures of sailboats with it located either above the companionway or below one of the steps into the cabin. I can't find any pictures now. Coast Guard Doc. Number Placement (Interior)
That's interesting. All of my work yachts/boats (108' down to 33') that were registered through the years have never had this displayed inside. The HIN has always been displayed on the hull somewhere but never the Doc #.

Learn something new every day