• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Audio MM651

Venkman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Judging from a search I think several in this sub-forum have MM651s. Maybe I am the last one to convert, I don't know. In the past I have used Rockford fosgate 6.5s, without getting into the specifics I am looking at a change.

I have tower speaker cans that need new speakers, I am not replacing them with "tower speakers", just looking for a normal two way speaker. The issue is the size of the hole. It has to be exactly 6.5". I am looking at some Polk MM61s or MM651UMs. I was about to buy them when I noticed on one website (Crutchfield) they listed them as 6.75", which if that is the actual size won't work and there is no way to make it work.

Can anyone clarify the actual size of the Polk speakers?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can hop in the boat later today or tomorrow to measure for you (as long as it's not still raining :( ) unless someone comes on here earlier.

I would bet they are wider than 6.5" though since that is the cone size, not the speaker size. The mounting width is wider than just the cone.

Venkman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. A buddy I was talking to reminded me that he bought the same cans and he just screwed in some polk dbs 6.5s. I would have to think that all polk 6.5s were measured equally. Or maybe that's a wild assumption.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Venkman - Crap, left the empty box at the beach this week end!
Put a pair before putting the boat away for the winter and just put the other pair in on Saturday.
All I can say is that I removed 4 Seaworthy speakers and put in 4 MM651UM speakers - not only was the fit correct, the screw holes lined up and the connectors were the same as for the Seaworthy ones. (2012 SX240... Can't imagine they used different sized speakers on the 21s.)
I'm in salt water so I went with the UMs for the extra $30/pair...
Noticeable improvement in sound quality BTW - but then the Seaworthy speakers really are worthy of being lobbed into the sea!

Venkman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the homework for me. I am going to go out to the lake (the lake is 45 mins away) tonight and measure the opening. I am hopeful they will fit, I have read a ton of great reviews on these speakers especially for the price. I think I will go with the UMs they look cooler which is what this is all really about anyway and its only a few for bucks.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No problem, happy to help. I have been happy with them so far. I do recommend putting an amp behind them because the head unit just doesn't give them enough power to shine. Good luck on figuring out the tower speakers!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got them throughout my boat as well as on the swimdeck with amped power driving all of them. They need an amp pushing them for them to reach their full potential.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was looking to upgrade my 2014 AR210 with the Polk MM651UM speakers. The AR210 has a clarion CMD8 head unit with the factory "marine audio" speakers. Right now, I don't even bother playing the radio if we are driving the boat. You can't hear it and by the time you turn it up loud enough to hear it, it sounds like crap. My problem is I don't know jack about audio stuff. Have been reading everything here and on various manufacturer sites. So I'm slowly learning and feel I am capable of doing this myself as I did perfect pass install, among various other things and want to do this myself too. So have a few questions for those of you that do know something.
1) if i just replace stock speakers with the Polk MM651UMs will this be enough improvement that I can clearly hear music in boat at say 20mph? (I can't now with stock, well can but sounds like garbage)
2) if I get an amp: which amp do you guys suggest just to power these 4 speakers?
3) Will I need to go all dual battery crazy to power this amp?

I don't want to rock the party cove, I don't want to be loudest boat on the water, I could care less if my kid wakeboarding hears the music. I would simply like to be able to clearly listen to music as I drag my kids around all afternoon. I realize that everyone will have a different opinion on this and what sounds good to one is crap to another, but would like to hear suggestions. Thanks,
Josh

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well Josh the Polk MM651UM like power. You could install them and try it for a while and see. If you decide that they need an amp then get one of those digital Alpine amps. Get an efficient one whatever you do get. If your current battery is fresh and you trust it then I think you're ok with just one battery. It really doesn't take much to start these little motors. Maybe get a jumpbox or something for piece of mind. We like to sit and float in a cove listening to music all day so I put in a AGM group 27 as a house battery since I have two amps to feed. If I could ever drain that bad boy then I just flip a switch to fire up the motors and head to the ramp. No worries! My $.02.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go with a Class D amp for efficiency. I think most of them on that link are. If your spending the money, go for a 5 channel now so you can add a sub when you want to. Unless you plan to eventually boat in saltwater, I wouldn't bother getting the marine version. Mount the amp in the helm compartment and it will have a very slim chance of getting wet there.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking to upgrade my 2014 AR210 with the Polk MM651UM speakers. The AR210 has a clarion CMD8 head unit with the factory "marine audio" speakers. Right now, I don't even bother playing the radio if we are driving the boat. You can't hear it and by the time you turn it up loud enough to hear it, it sounds like crap. My problem is I don't know jack about audio stuff. Have been reading everything here and on various manufacturer sites. So I'm slowly learning and feel I am capable of doing this myself as I did perfect pass install, among various other things and want to do this myself too. So have a few questions for those of you that do know something.
1) if i just replace stock speakers with the Polk MM651UMs will this be enough improvement that I can clearly hear music in boat at say 20mph? (I can't now with stock, well can but sounds like garbage)
2) if I get an amp: which amp do you guys suggest just to power these 4 speakers?
3) Will I need to go all dual battery crazy to power this amp?

I don't want to rock the party cove, I don't want to be loudest boat on the water, I could care less if my kid wakeboarding hears the music. I would simply like to be able to clearly listen to music as I drag my kids around all afternoon. I realize that everyone will have a different opinion on this and what sounds good to one is crap to another, but would like to hear suggestions. Thanks,
Josh
Josh, I just replaced my factory Seaworthy speakers with the MM651UMs. I actually did a comparison with 1 of each speaker in and using the balance listening to the difference. 100 times better. Both louder and cleaner. I have not driven the boat yet to hear what they sound like at cruise. But I also got a Wetsounds HT-4 amp to go with it. I have not hooked that up so I don't know how they will sound but I am expecting even more improvement. With that amp I might not risk the single battery unless all you do is drive around all day.

I hope to get out this weekend to test the speakers without the amp. I can let you know how they sound.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@96Pirate that's good to hear. I will be interested to see what you say once boat is on water, wind in your face. Keep me posted. I'm sure once the amp is hooked up, it will be whole other lever. But based on your initial impression (& Pearce's suggestion) I may just install the speakers and see if that is enough for me. If so, great, done, but if not I can add amp and go that route.

So another noob question, in car audio aftermarket systems do they add more batteries to run the amps/speakers or does the stock alternator simply handle the additional load? I assume the alternator/stator on our boats just can't keep up with the power draw? Hence the need for more batteries?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman I will let you know how things go this weekend if I get out.

As far as car audio goes. I am not a big audio guy but I think a lot would have to do with the way you use it. A lot of guys that put in big systems like to park and listen. In that case I think you would need more batteries to support it. If you just drive around with it I would think the alternator would be able to handle most systems other than the really big ones. Maybe not. But alternators definitely charge better than the stators on our boats. Someone had put out an amp/hour stator output. Hopefully some of the audio guys can chime in.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman So I was able to get the boat out yesterday and boy what a difference.

I did hook up my Fusion which has more wattage then the stock but should be pretty comparable to the Clarion (I think you have)

And I did not hook my amp up so all the power was coming from the Fusion.

Just floating the sound is awesome. But at cruising there is a huge improvement over the stock speakers. My wife actually told me to turn the volume down because it was too loud. I did initially up the bass since I do not have a sub and that started rattling the boat. So had to play with that a little.

But all in all the sound was loud, clear to my ears at cruise (7k rpm at about 21-23 mph) on the speedo. Dial was about 1/2 way up at cruise.

I am sure the amp will make even better improvement but in all honesty I would be ok with the way it is. But I have the amp so why not use it. :)

For you yes, I would try them and see how you like before adding the amp. You might be ok with just the speakers as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Mike

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman Also wanted to throw this out there. I replaced my crappy Seaworthy speakers. I think, you might have the Polk db651's in yours as most of the newer boats came with those. Many guys are good with those so I would think they are considerably better than the Seaworthy. So you might not see as much improvement as I did but still should see some.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking. Wife telling me to turn it down is my limiting factor as well. New speakers should be here this week sometime. Hopefully I get good output with the stock clarion head unit. I will likely hook up one at a time (like you did) to hear the difference to justify my purchase if nothing else.

Regarding my stock speakers I think they are Jensen brand in a 14 AR 210 but I wouldn't be willing to bet anything on that. They just say "marine audio'" on the grille. Maybe someone else knows more on that?

@96Pirate thanks again!
And the rest of you guys/gals rock too!:thumbsup:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman Do a side by side. I did stock rear left and Polk rear right. Then used fade and balance to hear the difference at different sound levels.

FYI...My Fusion output is 70w max, 26w rms @ 4 ohms and 43w rms @ 2 ohms. I have mine hooked up at 4 ohms right now. Way under what these speakers can handle and would like.