• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine does not start... help!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think pulling the pump is a waste of energy. You can pull the plugs, remove the coupler cover, and use a gripping tool to turn it over. It should spin with moderate to easy force. Tricky to turn it by hand, but with a little leverage is easy. If it doesn't spin, then remove the pump. If it still doesn't spin then you have serous internal issues.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After you pull the plugs, is it not possible to spin the impeller through the cleanout ports?

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried yesterday with tongue and groove pliers. I could not get a good grip. I tried to turn both shafts and I could not turn them. I have to try with something else.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the pump. It's only 4-5 bolts.
Pulling the pump:
This has been documented elsewhere, but here are few quick easy steps that I follow:

Note that my boat has a steering rod, not present in pre-2015.

A long wrench extender comes in handy to reach 4 main bolts.

Don't loose those pesky dowels (there are 2 per pump):

At this point the stator (pump bearing housing) segment of the pump can be pulled out, along with the impeller and the shaft.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check your oil and see if it is overfilled and smells like gas you may have had an injector stick and hydro lock the engine with fuel

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your oil and see if it is overfilled and smells like gas you may have had an injector stick and hydro lock the engine with fuel
This is likely.
But - with plugs removed, the engine should still turn when cranked, right? (shooting fuel...?)

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes if the plugs are out and the ignition wires are turned off for obvious reasons when you crank it , I have heard of the injectors hanging open on that style engine and locking it up

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes if the plugs are out and the ignition wires are turned off for obvious reasons when you crank it , I have heard of the injectors hanging open on that style engine and locking it up
Good point about the ignition!!!!

I keep forgetting - will the engine crank with lanyard out? (it just grounds spark plugs, so no spark, right? )

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yes

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried yesterday with tongue and groove pliers. I could not get a good grip. I tried to turn both shafts and I could not turn them. I have to try with something else.
Did you have the spark plugs removed befor you tried to turn the shafts?

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you have the spark plugs removed befor you tried to turn the shafts?
No. Should I?

I got strap wrench.
Shaft should turn clock wise or counter clock wise?
It looks like I got a weekend project!!!

Thanks everybody!! for your help.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. Should I?
Yes, otherwise you will be compressing the air or fuel trapped inside the cylinders, making it all but impossible to turn the crankshaft.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also look at the electrodes of the plugs as they tell you what is going on inside the engine and if a plug resists being removed you need to work it out back and forth using penetrating oil also, or risk breaking off a spark plug, the number 3 is the one that historically causes most of the issues but it could be any of them. Just a heads up, DO NOT FORCE a plug if it resists being loosened spray oil in the hole and then retighten the plug, then back it out until it feels stuck and retighten it with more oil and keep repeating this process carefully it will come out just don't force it.

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Problem solved. I am very happy. One call to amazing marine mechanic... Thank you Harry!!!!

Corroded/loose battery cable.....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't mind paying a good mechanic, they are worth it.

Did you get to see the corroded cable? where you there when he changed it?

I don't understand how the engine was torqueing like that? I would have thought a bad cable would not have let enough juice to be able to spin the starter let alone move the engine like that.

Does the engine still jump like that now that it is working correctly?

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spoke with a mechanic on the phone only. Went to the boat moved all cables and the engine started.
I do not know if the engine jumps. I did not pay attention. Now I have to locate the bad cable.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you move the cables in the engine compartment or under the seat near the battery or both?
Did he think it was a positive or negative battery/starter cable or in the wiring from the ECU?

I had an intermittent engine issue for a month, I was about to start tearing everything and found it was a loose ground cable at the battery post

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just moved cables around under the seat near the battery only. He did not say anything about negative or positive.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm... Happy you got it to start!

Still a little miffed... In your video, the starter gets enough juice to jig that port engine pretty good. I guess it just must not have been enough for a full crank.

--