• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Portable toilets in a 242

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi folks, I've read some folks using thetford and dometic units. Can anyone tell me how the brackets work to remove the toilet to empty it? I'm looking for a unit that is secured but can be removed to empty it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have a thetford... so far we have not secured it down. It just sits in place. We may put some of that sticky netting stuff down that you get so rugs don't slide around on hardwood floors or something like that. It definitely doesn't need to be screwed down for us.

Edit: I'll also say that for 2 years we haven't had any potty accidents on the boat, and we just bought this as an emergency use only sort of thing. Now that we have it, the damn kids have to go every time we go out. Super frustrating (for the guy that ends up cleaning it).

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had one in my 240 for the last 3 years, I went to Home Depot and bought 1.0" wide strips of Velcro. and did one strip front to back on each side.

You would think it was screwed down. Does not move. Takes a good a grip to pull it off to dump it, but knowing it is not going anywhere is worth it.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
20200716_103746.jpg
I have an inexpensive Full Tyme RV potty in there. Water in the top section, flushes to the bottom section. Comes apart to take the bottom out to empty. Mine just sits there on the "potty shelf" on a foam mat. Doesn't move. Just there for emergencies.

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 126153
I have an inexpensive Full Tyme RV potty in there. Water in the top section, flushes to the bottom section. Comes apart to take the bottom out to empty. Mine just sits there on the "potty shelf" on a foam mat. Doesn't move. Just there for emergencies.
Interesting, I have a thetford and twice I have found it flipped over from lake boating with moderate chop.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Milligsc
I only boat on the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, and waters between them in the lower Florida Keys. Gets pretty choppy. Has never moved, but I do keep that blue cooler in there with our lunch and water and stuff in the lower floor so it can't move aft. Before I put the foam puzzle piece pad under it though it would slide off the shelf

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use the same toilet and same bracket as Bogus. You just pull out a plastic piece that slide into the front bracket. It's very easy to do and keeps the toilet secure. Toilet is a Dometic 970 (2.8 gallon.) The brackets came with it.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
McMaster Carr sells 2" wide industrial type hook and loop strips; we used that on the porta potti in our 242 and it held in the biggest chop (2-3') we were in; worked well for 7 years. The current boat has a Thetford with a slide bracket and it works great.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just used heavy velcro under our Thetford . . . albeit everyone's been good with the rule. #'s - captain will dump it. #2 - offender(s) gets to dump it. Originally used the rubbery shelving mat or undercarpet rubber (can't remember) to keep it from sliding before the Velcro. It didn't really move - but we tend to throw everything in the locker as well.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Teach people to go before and/or in the water. :)
Agree with ya but our boat came with one and my rule is "you use it, you clean it" and don't let anyone know you have it because if you hang out at a sandbar or beach and word gets out that you have one, it becomes a habit for some people to want to use it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The luggable loo works perfectly for a day on the water.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also have the dometic. Bought the brackets but was too lazy to get in there, measure, and drill. So I secured it with Velcro. Doesn’t move at all. Easy to remove to empty.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know about the thetford models but my domestic is held in place by three brackets, one at the front center and two in the rear corners. The hook for the front bracket is simply installed or removed to secure or release the unit.

the domestic also has plastics clips which secure or release the top (Seat and “fresh” water tank) to the bottom (Waste water tank). Here is a link to the page the attached pics came from.

D1EAC2B9-1CF1-484A-98FC-FA5FB6D391A5.png

Last edited:

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a Dometic and used the brackets like @Ronnie. Probably overkill but the last thing I want is for that thing to take a tumble and spill. :dead:

I hated the idea initially (I hated dealing w/ the one on my Dad's sailboat when I was a kid) but my wife pushed for it. It has saved a few days when my 6-year old daughter "had to go". Without it we would have had to go in early.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's funny how people have such polarized opinions on portable toilets on a boat. The head compartment is the sole reason I have a 24' boat. Back when I began shopping for a boat, I was looking for a wakeboard boat in the 19' range, but my wife has a bladder the size of a chipmunk and didn't want to have to go to shore every hour, or get in the water to pee. This forced me to start looking at bigger boats and I would have never even discovered the Yamahas if it wasn't for the head compartment requirement. The onboard toilet allows us to stay out on Puget Sound for the entire day, so really, the porta potty is the best feature of my boat.

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great responses as always, I went the velcro route on my thetford. Testing tomorrow.

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, finding a decent portable toilet this year was tough! backordered everywhere. Guess it's a popular item these days with everyone buying boats and campers. Finally showed up today and looks like I will be going the velcro route as this one didn't come with any brackets. If it's a nice warm sunny day, nobody is allowed to use it. Get in the water or don't come boating. But we also do a lot of concerts on the water in the evenings, when folks are fully dressed, and it comes in very handy those nights. But #1 only. I see people in other boats peeing in bottles and whatnot. I'm a little too adult for that anymore. lol.