• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow truck ( Tesla )

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless they can get superchargers in truck stops and charge quickly, I don't see how it will tow much beyond the interstate grid. Just look at where they put those superchargers (parking lots, garages, etc.). What do you do with your boat and trailer every time you need to plug in and charge?

"Excuse me while I block 6 supercharged stalls while I plug in my truck for an hour..."

I like the idea of an electric truck (we have a Tesla roadster in the garage) but I'm not sure how well it will be infrastructure wise for a while yet.
Have a look at hte link I posted awhile back in this thread. There was a guy who towed around quite a bit with a teardrop trailer. He echo'd your thoughts on the superchargers not being setup for trailers. He had to drop the trailer a few times to get a charge, or block other stalls to make it happen.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they are revealing Q2 numbers today, wonder if they’ll mention reveal date for the truck at all?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hate it you called me out, lol, this is going to be pretty ugly... (but hey, what are the internet friends for, after all, right?!). If there is one thing I dislike about the LC200 it's the miserable range when towing, to the point I'm considering installing an auxiliary 10gal tank to extend the range, as many do if taking off road.

Yeah, I have the numbers for you, the numbers are bad enough I feel I need to make a disclaimer, lol (to accommodate my complicated work schedule plus last minute delays I needed to push it a little bit).
Twoing to AZ/UT mostly uphill (slightly above speed limit of 75mph) my worst fuel economy was in the stretch around Flagstaff (7,000ft) where it hovered between 7-8mpg. With a 20+ (24?) gal fuel tank that gave me the range of about... 150 miles (sic). Bad enough? lol.

With that said it was single digits all the way. When towing the 240 I start looking for fuel at about 100 miles past the latest gas stop, and then go into advanced search mode at about 150 miles on the clock, the max range being basically below 200 in that scenario. I can see 10-11, sometimes even 12 mpg, for example on trips back from Arkansas at a leisurely pace towing the 240, but that's only when going slower and generally over a slightly descending route.
(for reference - when not towing I get 14-16mpg depending on time of year and routes. )

Now, the Q7 TDI - that was a different story! 12-14mpg was about the lowest I've ever seen (~30 daily non towing) but we all know diesel (especially TDI) rules in towing.

--

Ever rode in a boat with TDI(s)? If so how did they perform?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would not have made it to bimini in time for the weather window if i had to stop and charge. Launched midnight ad crossed Saturday morning after i believe it was 1300 miles driving.
I imagine if i had an electric truck the bed would be carrying gas and a generator as well. For extra range and security.
I just wish there was some easily dispensable energy source that could get me back on the road within a few minutes! (Top Gear/grand tour partial quote)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sent some time in boats with diesel engines but not TDIs, I'm not even sure those exist, would be great though!

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The local Rinker Dealer had a 28' bowrider some years back that someone had ordered with the Yanmar diesel engine in it. They couldn't sell it and were offering a GIANT discount. The wife and Iooked hard at it, but had to pass because of the size of hte thing. We would've had to have upgraded the truck and the storage area to tow/store it, and then there were only a handful of places on the water that had diesel fuel where we boat. I want to say the range on that boat was something like 250miles or something though.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to get a ride in it though. The outdrive had some wonky gear ratio, and the prop pitch looked odd because of how extremly vertical the blades were. Really an interesting boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not have made it to bimini in time for the weather window if i had to stop and charge. Launched midnight ad crossed Saturday morning after i believe it was 1300 miles driving.
I imagine if i had an electric truck the bed would be carrying gas and a generator as well. For extra range and security.
I just wish there was some easily dispensable energy source that could get me back on the road within a few minutes! (Top Gear/grand tour partial quote)
I wonder if you would have just called the whole thing off before leaving, or if your "drop dead last possible time I could leave" would have just been moved back?

I've made a number of those kinds of trips, where you leave late because of whatever reason, drive all night, and barely get there in time to do anything before whatever event you're trying to make it to......Basically I lived like any RoadKill episode for about a decade. If an electric tow vehicle was the main transportation, I'm certain I wouldn't have made 1/2 of those events, maybe not even 1/4. However, would I have just learned to plan better sooner? My trips to events aren't like that anymore and I'm unsure if my give-a-crap meter has gone down, or if I'm getting better at planning?!?!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here you go. Always thought these were neat boats.

Very cool! Ahead of the curve, if you ask me, what a great concept.
In my experience with TDIs, a Passat and a Q7, those engines are so smooth and quiet.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wonder if you would have just called the whole thing off before leaving, or if your "drop dead last possible time I could leave" would have just been moved back?

I've made a number of those kinds of trips, where you leave late because of whatever reason, drive all night, and barely get there in time to do anything before whatever event you're trying to make it to......Basically I lived like any RoadKill episode for about a decade. If an electric tow vehicle was the main transportation, I'm certain I wouldn't have made 1/2 of those events, maybe not even 1/4. However, would I have just learned to plan better sooner? My trips to events aren't like that anymore and I'm unsure if my give-a-crap meter has gone down, or if I'm getting better at planning?!?!
I had left Thursday night for a Monday crossing. Due to weather changing while in transit crossing was Saturday instead of monday so lost the 2 days. Next best cross had looked like Wednesday. I planned plenty but with an ev i probably would have made it Wednesday.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had left Thursday night for a Monday crossing. Due to weather changing while in transit crossing was Saturday instead of monday so lost the 2 days. Next best cross had looked like Wednesday. I planned plenty but with an ev i probably would have made it Wednesday.
Well, that is a horse of a different color indeed.

That "quick charge" of a gas station is certainly a big benefit to the ICE powered vehicles. Especially on long trips.

eHall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I own a Tesla Model 3. We took our first 650 mile trip this weekend. KY to Orange Beach, AL. Charging made a 10 hour trip about 12.5 hours. We would have stopped at least once for gas/meal and multiple bathroom trips in an ICE vehicle that would have equaled at least an hour.

And your generator isn’t going to add much range. It might get you started if your batteries are completely dead but it’s not going to get you very far.

I think the delay with the Tesla truck has to do with a couple of things. #1, they can’t make enough batteries to fill global demand of their current lineup. #2 range while towing and a lack of options in the rural areas where trucks are prevalent. It will take 3 or 4 manufacturers to release Electric trucks to push for EV charging away from the tourist/interstate routes. Tesla is the only EV manufacturer investing in infrastructure. That has to change.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Never needs to be charged due to regenerative breaking on the downhill (loaded) runs.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Never needs to be charged due to regenerative breaking on the downhill (loaded) runs.
Formula 1 ran with KERS for a while, too.

It often seems amazing what we humans choose not to pursue, lol.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neat concept, and a great implementation in that case. Really good clarity from the engineers there to see that it was loaded going downhill and unloaded going up.