• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potential new 2019 SX190

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This made me laugh! I think we've all been there; it's sort of a right of passage for an I/O owner at some point.
We would seriously do it about once a year. Typically at the end of a really long day, it would be the thing we missed on the checklist.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since you can't trim, Jet boats typically have both lower fuel efficiency and top speed. But IMO the simplicity of the Jet drive train overcomes those issues. Besides the accidental scraping mentioned above, the complexity of the sterndrive mechanism increases maintenance and repair costs. Changing the drive oil yearly is not much fun. Hit a log or a stump and take out a lower unit is a $2k problem. Replacing worn bellows require pulling the whole lower unit. Finally, not having to worry about the neighbor kid jumping off the swim platform on the the prop is priceless.

Because of the additional maintenance with a stern drive I was going to go with an outboard. Then my wife saw the swim platform on the back of the 190 and fell in love.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I completely understand the maintenance costs of an I/O, have made the skeg quite a few different shapes and have curled over a blade or two on a prop. I’m personally not worried about chop, I’ve been in some pretty rough stuff with a 17ft with an I/O that weighs about 1900 pounds. The SX190 has two more feet and about 500 pounds more weight. More concerned with my better half not getting bounced around and hating the purchase. I’ve been on boats since I was born where she is relatively new to boating and took some convincing to give the ok for the purchase. (Should of seen her freak out while watching a boat test video and good ol captain Steve mentions spinning out in turns lol)I appreciate everyone’s in sight on this forum and know the hate that other sites spread on jet boats. As it stands now, I’m going to the dealer tomorrow morning with deposit in hand. And if all my boxes/concerns are checked, I’ll be ordering the boat 👍🏻

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
BTW, is it possible to change my account screen name, just noticed it’s my actual name lol

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
BTW, is it possible to change my account screen name, just noticed it’s my actual name lol
Ha! Top of the morning to ya, Mr. O'Brien! I'll ask to change mine later.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More concerned with my better half not getting bounced around and hating the purchase.
That's one of the reasons we moved from a 190 to a 240...
I loved most everything about the 190, except for it being stupid loud (I spent obscene amount of time and money trying to cure that - with some success). But it didn;t matter, fast forward to our first Bimini trip, my wife says: "Honey, if we are going to be doing this we are gonna need a bigger boat".

I also added trim tabs in the 240 and the ride in chop is night and day, I literally feel in control of how smooth I want to ride (at least inland that is). Comes in really handy with some more sensitive passengers, and there are those who just can not take nearly as much as most of us here.

The only way to really play it safe (with the wife) is to take her on trial runs. It won't cover all scenarios of course, but you will get the idea. Keep in mind these boats are different, they are light and can be bouncy, also extremely prone to turn in circles at low speeds/thrust, and also sound different.

--

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately I’m in the north east and winter isn’t letting go of its grip anytime soon, and am unable to go on any test drives, that’s why I’m on here trying to get everyone’s opinion of the boat. I know a 240 is going to ride in rough water better than a 19ft, but a 240 is out of my budget, and the used market is currently non existent except for one or two jet boats with in my area.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately I’m in the north east and winter isn’t letting go of its grip anytime soon, and am unable to go on any test drives, that’s why I’m on here trying to get everyone’s opinion of the boat. I know a 240 is going to ride in rough water better than a 19ft, but a 240 is out of my budget, and the used market is currently non existent except for one or two jet boats with in my area.
Well then, how about looking at the AR210/SX210. Larger boat, smoother ride without the pricetag. You will get the tested TR-1 engines in it. Just a thought. Once you step to the limited or X series, then you jump a minimum of $10K for the 1.8's and some other stuff.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just ordered the SX190, that was what my budget allowed. If I could of gone bigger I would of.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just ordered the SX190, that was what my budget allowed. If I could of gone bigger I would of.
Roger that. You'll be happy with that boat. Just threw the 210's out there as a possible option. Enjoy!

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any potential issues with putting the boat in a slip for the summer, would be a fresh water slip. I've seen concerns with salt water, but haven't seen anything about fresh water.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any potential issues with putting the boat in a slip for the summer, would be a fresh water slip. I've seen concerns with salt water, but haven't seen anything about fresh water.
Not that I'm aware of, I think others that slip will chime in but I am not aware of any fresh water issues with a slip all season.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I plan on keeping mine in a slip most of this summer. Although I need to take it out of the water for gas, so I'll probably do some light cleaning and such each time that happens. Interested to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how the bilge pumps work on the 2019's, however my 2017 will drain the battery after a few days of being left on without the engine running. I would move to a hardwired float switch style. Otherwise, a good cover should be all you need to leave the boat in a slip.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had our SX190 in a covered wet slip on Lake Wylie SC for 1.5 years. The only problem for me was the amount of crap that accumulated on the hull. I had to pull the boat every month to clean the bottom. I switched to dry storage to keep the bottom clean because I was tired of cleaning the hull. You may not have a problem with lake scum but if you do it will drop top speed by 5-10 MPH.

If you keep the bildge pump on the battery will drain in a few days. I keep the battery switched off when not in use.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had our SX190 in a covered wet slip on Lake Wylie SC for 1.5 years. The only problem for me was the amount of crap that accumulated on the hull. I had to pull the boat every month to clean the bottom. I switched to dry storage to keep the bottom clean because I was tired of cleaning the hull. You may not have a problem with lake scum but if you do it will drop top speed by 5-10 MPH.

If you keep the bildge pump on the battery will drain in a few days. I keep the battery switched off when not in use.
This. A lot of people think that because its in freshwater, nothing builds up on the bottom. Also there is an increased risk of osmotic blistering. Polyester resin fiberglass, which is what our boats are made of, is not always waterproof. It may be best to apply a protective barrier coating to make it waterproof and prevent any risk of blistering.

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In addition crap growing on the hull, Zebra mussels are an issue here in the Midwest. Not sure if they mess with any part of the engine.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, signed all the paper work. I’m amazed at how little paper work there is vs buying a car lol. She will stay wrapped until the weather breaks here in WNY45AB1960-C102-4136-96A2-DF5DA68F2FB2.jpeg

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! May she serve you well.