• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Privacy fence and Post Holes

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm done with you, from reading some of your other posts you like to critize everyones opinion.
When you tell him to dig only 18" deep, with a spade, thru clay, in Michigan, I will let him know that it WON'T take 30 minutes and he needs to dig deeper. Sorry you are offended :winkingthumbsup".

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
When you tell him to dig only 18" deep, with a spade, thru clay, in Michigan, I will let him know that it WON'T take 30 minutes and he needs to dig deeper. Sorry you are offended :winkingthumbsup".
So how deep do you have to go for a fence post?

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
In Michigan 36" as OP and I already stated
He says 36" max, does that mean for every hole, that seems alittle much for a 6ft fence. I can see for a deck but vinyl fence.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He says 36" max, does that mean for every hole, that seems alittle much for a 6ft fence. I can see for a deck but vinyl fence.
36" for fence, 42" for deck.

We have a little thing up here where the ground freezes in the winter and things will heave if you don't go deep enough.

Again, already said above.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HangOutdoors,
Ok so is the ground the same every where and are we all as old and slow as you.
Actually the ground is not the same everywhere, difference is the frost line. LOL, I know I older and slower, but that's okay as soon I'll be retired!

Jim

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors consider your gifts, your back and time vs money equation. I would rent a two person augur and recruit some teenagers to run a two man augur.

I’ve never built a fence before but I built a ~25x16 deck at our last house… but I was ~ 25 years younger.

Map out the design and spray your target holes with landscape paint and farm out the heavy. I suspect that could be a nice compromise with the admiral. Good luck!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I built my fence (maybe 15 years ago?) I went to local equipment rental shop and got one of these:

1649415059822.png

It did a pretty good (and easy) job as long as I didn't hit rock. I remember if you hit rock it moved the bit sideways.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors consider your gifts, your back and time vs money equation. I would rent a two person augur and recruit some teenagers to run a two man augur.

I’ve never built a fence before but I built a ~25x16 deck at our last house… but I was ~ 25 years younger.

Map out the design and spray your target holes with landscape paint and farm out the heavy. I suspect that could be a nice compromise with the admiral. Good luck!
This might be the best advise here. Best if both worlds.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We need to dig 36" to 48" deep here or the frost wiil heave that post up out of the ground a little bit each year and it will no longer be plumb. I have put up a couple of miles of fence since 1992. Most of my fencing, besides 250' of picket fence, is high tensile wire 5-7 strands. There is a lot of tension on gate and corner posts with these fences, we put springs on each line and when the ground thaws in the Spring these anchors can move due to the tension on the wires and the soft ground conditions. I dig them as deep as this glacial till stoney loam with a hard pan shallow to ledge sub surface will let me. Trees are some of the best posts and anchors and I use them where available, but I know not in your case. Mine are Ag. fences not a neighborhood privacy fence.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was 80 degrees on the weekend here. Admiral kicked me out of my home office onto the fence. Dropping into the 40s-50s for the next 7-10 days. At least I got a feel for it. first pick is removal.

Me and the 14yr old daughter did the work. Don't even mention the boat this ready to be dropped in the water at anytime :(

It is plumb and straight, looks off in the picture though. only 360 more feet to go. Will be a several month project. Also hoping neighbor will clean up some of his junk sooner or later.

20220423_102633.jpg

20220424_182358.jpg20220424_182419.jpg20220424_182329.jpg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Was 80 degrees on the weekend here. Admiral kicked me out of my home office onto the fence. Dropping into the 40s-50s for the next 7-10 days. At least I got a feel for it. first pick is removal.

Me and the 14yr old daughter did the work. Don't even mention the boat this ready to be dropped in the water at anytime :(

It is plumb and straight, looks off in the picture though. only 360 more feet to go. Will be a several month project. Also hoping neighbor will clean up some of his junk sooner or later.

View attachment 176357

View attachment 176359View attachment 176360View attachment 176361
That's a great looking fence. With 360 feet left to go, we'll see you next season. Take care.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nah 80-100 feet per day so 4 more weekends give or take, but will spread it over a couple/few months.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

You should convince the neighbor that he needs a gate to protect his junk. You already gave him a nice fence.