• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problem solving a construction issue - help me out!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope, and if i went to I joists, lvls or lam beams they need to be 12" tall which won't work.
How about trusses built from 2x4s? Those are so much nicer than the flimsy plywood I-beam trusses? At 10” height you would have to space them closely.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
12" depth is the typical minimum for 4x2 floor trusses. 10" can be done but they are typically special designs ($) and 20' spans would be tough, if not impossible, while maintaining deflection criteria.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did a recent truss installation. I hired a rigging company to come out. It was actually a welding company that had a decent size crane. guy charge be $90/hour, he was about 30 mins away.
First, I looked at what machines I have at the shop. My whop is 15 minutes away on side roads (not the 60 mph type, the 30 mph type) and we have a pettibone with 44' reach. Unfortunately I found out that the 44' is from the rear pivot point of the boom, not the front axle like I thought. From outside brick it's 25 ish feet to center of the courtyard and where center of beam will be. With the angle needed and the length of cable I would need to drop into the courtyard, my 44' Isn't close.
I asked the steel shop about the small truck crane they sometimes deliver with but the only side accessible for him to get close to the building means he would go through a ditch and hope my yard doesn't rut up too bad.
I have septic across my front yard (600' of it) I have power lines coming to the house in the back, I have the garage to one side, and the easiest side would be where the pool is.
My yard is 150' by 250' with 20' wide and 5' deep ditch along the two sides with neighbors yards along the other two.
I think I will pick up the steel with my buddy's car hauler trailer, get it on the road by the sidewalk, and we need to walk it 20-30' onto rollers on my front sidewalk.
The other option with the trailer is if the yard is dry and we can get the trailer alongside the house which means 25' from back of trailer to front door.
Either way, I think it's time to call in the helping hands aka friends for some beer, pizza, and oh yeah, bring gloves, lol I have done enough favors in the past that I am sure I can get at least 8 people to eat my food!
A crane would need to reach approximately 150' from road to center of beam placement which means the small cranes are out of the question.
My and my big ego says NO PROBLEM!
I should have done this before the new front door, lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How about trusses built from 2x4s? Those are so much nicer than the flimsy plywood I-beam trusses? At 10” height you would have to space them closely.
I think most of the ideas that seem to work to me, either aren't allowed or are extremely costly, lol!
My carpenter said to quote LVL's doubled and the guy at the supply house (jokingly) said I could raise my house a few inches too!

The I-beam is about $500 but allows me to use regular 2x10 lumber for floor joists which is pretty stinking cheap for the rest of it.
The hangers are %3.69 each.
The carpenter owes me a favor from cutting his basement, installing drainpipe, gravel, and putting in concrete to do a drain system around the perimeter. Thankfully he doesn't have a double footing (one for house, one for courtyard and as many square feet as me!