• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problem with New 2020 Yamaha 242 SE

shrivastava

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We purchased a 2020 Yamaha 242 SE on Saturday May 22, 2020. During the demo of the boat, the boat was malfunctioning. When the Yamaha representative showing us the boat turned it on, instead of it being in neutral it was in forward gear. He reset the batteries multiple times and did an advanced reset (BTU) reset to get the engines to work properly and then there was no gas in the boat. He took the boat back out of the water to a gas station and got gas and brought it back and smooth sailing for the demo.

I requested the dealership to do a complete inspection of the boat they reassured me that the BTU error and malfunction would not occur again.

However, today on my first time taking it out (its been terrible weather since buying it) the boat would not start. BTU error every time. Numerous battery resets and an extensive BTU reset with the cables behind the steering wheel.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? I am worried the computer system in this "tech" boat is defective. Yamaha has offered to replaced the BTU.

Multiple error messages: communication error starboard error can, check engine! stop bcu, communication error port engine check engine can.

So freaked out right now brand new boat with so many issues! Help!

Attachments

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had similar codes. ive had the btu code a few times. Any time anything restricts the reverse buckets when they’re attempting to move, it causes a fluctuation in the amp draw which causes the BTU code. One of those times it took about 15 minutes for it to reset with battery switches of.
I also had the communication code. That was caused by a loose fuse. The fuses are located by the battery switches. I found two loose fuses by moving the fuses. I then used needle nose pliers to slightly twist the fuse prongs so that they made a tighter connection in the sockets. Done.
hope this helps anyone That might run into this Problem.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had the BCU error on Monday. Quickly Googled the code and found that if the steering wheel is turned all the way in one direction before shutting off the engine, it can throw that code. Corrected steering wheel and turned batteries off and back on cleared it. Happened 2-3 times during the day.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the BCU error on Monday. Quickly Googled the code and found that if the steering wheel is turned all the way in one direction before shutting off the engine, it can throw that code. Corrected steering wheel and turned batteries off and back on cleared it. Happened 2-3 times during the day.
My ”BCU“ code happens every time I backed up to the beach and the buckets touch bottom then I switch to neutral. So now when I get close I just kill the engines Then move to neutral after. Haven’t had the code since.
I did see something on the net about it happening with the steering In full turn And in reverse. Maybe that puts something in a bind, or enough drag to cause an over amp condition also. Hasn’t happened to mine.....yet.

factory1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We purchased a 2020 Yamaha 242 SE on Saturday May 22, 2020. During the demo of the boat, the boat was malfunctioning. When the Yamaha representative showing us the boat turned it on, instead of it being in neutral it was in forward gear. He reset the batteries multiple times and did an advanced reset (BTU) reset to get the engines to work properly and then there was no gas in the boat. He took the boat back out of the water to a gas station and got gas and brought it back and smooth sailing for the demo.

I requested the dealership to do a complete inspection of the boat they reassured me that the BTU error and malfunction would not occur again.

However, today on my first time taking it out (its been terrible weather since buying it) the boat would not start. BTU error every time. Numerous battery resets and an extensive BTU reset with the cables behind the steering wheel.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? I am worried the computer system in this "tech" boat is defective. Yamaha has offered to replaced the BTU.

Multiple error messages: communication error starboard error can, check engine! stop bcu, communication error port engine check engine can.

So freaked out right now brand new boat with so many issues! Help!

Hi there, I am a tech at one of the dealerships and thought you may find some value in what I have recently found. BCU errors are commonly found in the exact conditions you have described. The system is designed to safely move the gate into Forward, Neutral and Reverse. If the system senses unusual amp draw or resistance to perform these gate position changes a BCU error will result. This would be a normal error if a rope/debris or sand were lodged in the gate, or corroded shift gate cables caused resistance, or an impact caused damage to the gates. If all seems to be in correct order and the boat is experiencing the error on a "chronic level" you may need to consider my recent findings. Look for the plastic reverse gate making any contact with the jet housing. Sometimes the gate makes a large rubbing mark but I recently had one where the mark was only an 1/8 inch long and barely visible. The Plastic reverse gate is most likely to rub at full lock turn in either direction during a gear change or during the reverse gate movement that happens during each start/stop engine cycle. The system is also more vulnerable during a start/stop cycle. When the engines are running the gates will be in whatever position the hand levers demand. When the engine is shut off the gates will need to be in the up or the forward position. If the engine was shut off while in the hand control was in the forward position the gates will not move much. If the engines where shut off with the hand control in the neutral or reverse position the gates will need to move up several inches. While these gates are moving to the forward position a few seconds after the engine is shut off and little rub will cause the error. A common BCU error scenario is the boat is running in neutral or reverse and a person turns the steering wheel full lock in either direction and then shuts the engine off. Another common scenario is a person turns the wheel full lock to either position and then starts the boat. If these two scenarios cause a BCU error I have had to either readjust the steering cables to prevent the Reverse gate from rubbing the housing or even slightly file down the plastic gate to prevent the rub. There are several other causes of BCU errors but they are mostly caused from bad batteries or electrical wire connection issues.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am just pulling @factory1 's comment/post out of the "quote" so it is easier for members to find/see if you don't "click to expand".

20200715_063718.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm sorry, but that's insane that this issue is happening and they haven't corrected it from the factory and customers with brand new boats have to figure out their own workaround...

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so sad this is still happening and dealers say "it won't happen again" but it does.

I have another thread where I have talked about this and my dealer ended up ordering new bucket cables per yamaha. They just came in but I can't get installed for another 2 weeks. I will report back on this thread too of the success of that replacement.

bigredky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have experienced the same issues, and unfortunately need to still verify anything that resembles a confident process to fix.

Our 1st introduction to the BCU obnoxious alarm was diagnosed by our local dealer to be related to the use of the single throttle with our installed Thrust Vector Fins. They said we had approximately 15 BCU events that they cleared, but felt it was due to the single throttle option and the fins causing it to block / rub. So, great we don't get to use the single throttle to sync both engines. The dealer I purchased from glorified Vector Fins but didn't warn of the risk.

Our 2nd introduction to the BCU obnoxious alarm seems to be the Port side engine getting disabled due to the gate. After reading the thread above I'm hoping it is just due to the 'turned to full lock and power on/off' sequence. I fixed our issue by jumping into the water and trying to find anything different between the 2 gates, and housing which only resulted in a mindless wiggle of the gate to see if it would clear. Boat returned to functional after the redneck mechanic tactic.

I realize all boats have their quirks, and we love our boat but it's amazing that an expensive boat from a reputable manufacturer has potentially one of the worst 'error'/'diagnostic' messages to throw in the situation. You are in the middle of the lake hopefully in a safe place and this message says 'stop, call Yamaha'. Um, how do we do that right now and what do we tell them. Come to the lake, bring beer, take this boat, and explain to the crying kids and wife that our money went to buy this boat that just stopped in the middle of the lake.

If your not mechanical and unsure of what to do I can only imagine how bad of a situation some of these boaters can get into especially if they are in the middle of the current/wake, etc.

If anyone can find the best location, or the 'proof' you have used to present to the dealer that says this is a known problem and it needs to be fixed or addressed so we bypass the multiple trips to the dealer. It seems like a warranty issue so hopefully someone has a direct line to Yamaha so they can start working on a recall fix. I can only imagine this isn't going away now that they have introduced their 25 foot line that includes many of the new 'E' features they added to the 2020 27 foot model.

Thanks again for sharing your experience here.

Happy Boating.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so sad this is still happening and dealers say "it won't happen again" but it does.

I have another thread where I have talked about this and my dealer ended up ordering new bucket cables per yamaha. They just came in but I can't get installed for another 2 weeks. I will report back on this thread too of the success of that replacement.
So.. Great news. After my dealer replaced the bucket/reverse cables all has been well.. I have not had a single issue and really reproduced every move I could to try and make it error out.

If they are being difficult on the issue, have them call their yamaha rep and have them look up similar issues. Use phrases like tight turn forward/reverse causes BCU error. It essentially binds and the computer tolerance for the binding is too sensitive or the binding up is too much and instead of breaking, the computer throws the BCU error.

Push hard.. this is a huge liability issue in my opinion. It happened to me like 85% of the time at the docks trying to navigate other boats, obstacles, docks, etc. Liability issue because it is NOT your fault there is a problem and it puts you, others and property at great risk for damage.

I can't imagine what I would have done if it happened when I was trying to dock in a swift intercostal current. I've watched fully functioning boats get slammed into docks and put huge holes in their hulls due to currents.

Hope you can get resolution!
Mike

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have experienced the same issues, and unfortunately need to still verify anything that resembles a confident process to fix.

Our 1st introduction to the BCU obnoxious alarm was diagnosed by our local dealer to be related to the use of the single throttle with our installed Thrust Vector Fins. They said we had approximately 15 BCU events that they cleared, but felt it was due to the single throttle option and the fins causing it to block / rub. So, great we don't get to use the single throttle to sync both engines. The dealer I purchased from glorified Vector Fins but didn't warn of the risk.

Our 2nd introduction to the BCU obnoxious alarm seems to be the Port side engine getting disabled due to the gate. After reading the thread above I'm hoping it is just due to the 'turned to full lock and power on/off' sequence. I fixed our issue by jumping into the water and trying to find anything different between the 2 gates, and housing which only resulted in a mindless wiggle of the gate to see if it would clear. Boat returned to functional after the redneck mechanic tactic.

I realize all boats have their quirks, and we love our boat but it's amazing that an expensive boat from a reputable manufacturer has potentially one of the worst 'error'/'diagnostic' messages to throw in the situation. You are in the middle of the lake hopefully in a safe place and this message says 'stop, call Yamaha'. Um, how do we do that right now and what do we tell them. Come to the lake, bring beer, take this boat, and explain to the crying kids and wife that our money went to buy this boat that just stopped in the middle of the lake.

If your not mechanical and unsure of what to do I can only imagine how bad of a situation some of these boaters can get into especially if they are in the middle of the current/wake, etc.

If anyone can find the best location, or the 'proof' you have used to present to the dealer that says this is a known problem and it needs to be fixed or addressed so we bypass the multiple trips to the dealer. It seems like a warranty issue so hopefully someone has a direct line to Yamaha so they can start working on a recall fix. I can only imagine this isn't going away now that they have introduced their 25 foot line that includes many of the new 'E' features they added to the 2020 27 foot model.

Thanks again for sharing your experience here.

Happy Boating.
Sorry for another post.. but in behind the steering wheel area, there is a box on the floor. unscrew and leave it accessible for next trip. There are two levers in there that you un-lock essentially and can manually move the buckets. When the error is thrown see if you can manually move them from here. Some posts have mentioned dirt in the cables others around the binding up. 100% of the time I had the issue, I always moved steering wheel into center (so buckets are centered), and simply turned off both batteries (even with the key in the on position), turn off.. wait a few seconds and turn back on. It cleared 100% of the time for me.

Hope this helps additionally.

mike