• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchased a 2018 AR190 and now im concerned...

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. The wife and I (no kids) have been in the market for a smaller boat for the lakes here in East Tennessee. We originally were looking at a Tahoe T16 but thought it might be just a tad small for us.

The Good: Found a 2018 AR190 locally for $23,900 and scooped it up yesterday. The price seemed too good to be true. Well, you know what people say about that. The boat was purchased by a used vehicle dealer (they sell fishing boats and cars) at auction. Apparently it was a repossession. The guys I bought it from are a family run business and really seem like nice honest people. But a salesman is a salesman. All they could kept telling me is how I won the lottery with this boat because their phones have been blowing up with inquiries on it. I know that sales pitch but to be honest, it is a hell of a price.

The Bad: I inspected the boat and to be honest it was a little odd that it had as many oddities, scratches, dings and scuffs for a 2018. Nothing major but it was pretty obvious the previous owner never drove it sober. A few things stood out to me that made me raise my eyebrow.

1. The fire extinguisher is missing. (see picture)
2. The carpet under the bench seat is not the same as the rest of the boat. (see picture)
3. The passenger console is not mounted correctly. It wont latch either. (see picture)
4. The battery was dead when I showed up so they put a new battery in it. (Why not just charge the old one?) (see picture)
5. Not sure if there should be a cover over the electronics in the engine bay but if so, it's missing (see picture)
6. Engine bay is dirty under the engine. Almost looks burnt? Not sure if this is normal (see picture)
7. Did the AR190 come with an anchor from the factory? If so this one is definitely not from the factory. Looks like it came off an old tub boat.

I asked about all of these things but every response was, "We bought it at auction and don't know the history." Which I can understand. One of the guys did say they have had it for a month and he has been taking out on the lake every weekend since they go it. That explains the carpet under every seat cushion being completely soaked. The main thing that gets me is when I asked how many hours were on the boat I was told, "There is no hour counter, it counts miles and it has 2000 miles on it." I laughed then Googled how to find the hours. So I figured out how to get to the engine our section and found it has 152 hours. This seems a bit high for a 2018 does it not?

Not sure if I am just over thinking things so I figured I'd post about it to get thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If it runs good all that other stuff you mentioned is nothing to fix, and fairly cheap. I mean if the boat was absolutely prestine they would have been asking a couple thousand more I would think. They definitely used it if it has around 150 hours on it, my '18 195 has 40 hrs on it for example. If the outside is that dinged up and scratched, etc. You can have it wrapped for around $1500. Oh and mine did not come with an anchor either, so that's no big deal. Got any pics of the outside?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Electronics bay not covered it normal. Mine isnt either. Always thought it was strange since it looks like there is supposed to be a cover there.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No cover for electronics, my new 240 looks very similar. Anchor is not “included” with purchase, most people usually have the dealer throw one in as part of deal if they need one, Yamaha has one that fits nicely in the locker. With that many hours and scratches I wonder if it was a rental, boat club, or included in a lake house rental property or something. Would explain the scratches, carpet, and dash issue. I would investigate the bottom of that engine bay, motor and everything looks really clean, might just be some mold/mildew from sitting. I would be asking a lot more questions if it’s fire damage.
I have a friend that is boat salesman where I grew up, I asked him for advice when I was looking at used boats. Investigate the bottom of the haul and keel real good for damage/repair. Damage or bad repair will literally sink you. Check the oil in the motor, make sure it’s there and looks good. Sea trail is a good idea. Make sure it runs well on the water and produces good power. These boats aren’t to overly complicated, but hull damage and engine damage are going to be the expensive fixes.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would replace the oil and filter as well as top off the grease to the main bearing and the trailer bearings. I’ve always heard and believe that if it’s been repossessed it’s not likely that the previous owner maintained it properly, just used it until it was repossessed.

I think what’s under the engine is just grime that has built up since the boat was purchased. The missing extinguisher is no big deal. It’s easier/faster to replace a battery than charge it plus the old battery may be dead. Not sure why the console doesn’t fit correctly but it looks like he got the mismatched carpet from another 190, probably another model year so maybe the console is from another boat as well. 150 hours isn’t a lot for a 2 year/season old boat, at least not here in CA where you can boat 6 to 12 months a year, especially for a new/first time boat owner. I think I put 100 hours on both my Yamaha jet boats in the first year I owned them.

if the hull/keel are not damaged And the engine is running well I would not be concerned, if they are I would seriously consider selling the boat immediately for what I paid for it, it would depend on the quality of the repair (any blistering or soft spots where it was repaired and it would be gone).

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Mister...
At this point it is what it is because you own it.

1. The fire extinguisher is missing. (see picture) I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, ONE BENEATH PASSENGER REAR SEAT AND ONE LARGE COMPARTMENT IN FRONT OF PASSENGER
2. The carpet under the bench seat is not the same as the rest of the boat. (see picture)
3. The passenger console is not mounted correctly. It wont latch either. (see picture) A FAT DRUNK GUY MIGHT HAVE SLAMMED AGAINST IT... JUST GOOGLE HOW TO FIX
4. The battery was dead when I showed up so they put a new battery in it. (Why not just charge the old one?) (see picture) JUST BE HAPPY THEY INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY. ADD A NOCO DIRECT-MOUNT BATTERY CHARGER AND MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR BATTERY CHARGED... I WOULD ALSO BE WATCHING THE VOLTAGE IN THE NEW BATTERY TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A PARASITIC POWER DRAW AND MAYBE THATS WHY THE OLD BATTERY WAS DEAD... IF YOU DO HAVE A PARASITIC DRAW... FIND IT...
5. Not sure if there should be a cover over the electronics in the engine bay but if so, it's missing (see picture) MINE LOOKS THE SAME
6. Engine bay is dirty under the engine. Almost looks burnt? Not sure if this is normal (see picture) YES THIS LOOKS NORMAL HOWEVER I WOULD CLEAN IT VERY WELL SO IT'S EASIER TO SPOT OIL LEAKS... (AND I LIKE MY BOAT CLEAN)
7. Did the AR190 come with an anchor from the factory? If so this one is definitely not from the factory. Looks like it came off an old tub boat. OUR BOATS ARE MADE TO HOLD A 'DANFORTH' STYLE ANCHOR. I WOULD BUY ONE AND STORE IT IN THE LOCKER HOWEVER DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BECAUSE ANCHORS ARE VERY SPECIFIC TO WHAT BOTTOM FLOOR LOOKS LIKE. ROCKY? SANDY? MUDDY? ETC

IF YOUR BOAT IS SCRATCHED IT MIGHT BE WISE TO HAVE IT PROFESSIONAL BUFFED AT LEAST ONCE... THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A LOT OF THE SCRATCHES OUT! AROUND HERE THEY NORMALLY CHARGE $10 PER FOOT. I LIKE TO HAVE MINE BUFFED ONCE A YEAR AND THEN I WAX PERIODICALLY. KEEP IT CLEAN. KEEP THE SEATS CONDITIONED. KEEP BATTERIES CHARGED. BE SAFE

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. What an awesome community of jet boaters we have here! This info you guys have provided has been more than helpful. I think I may have exaggerated a bit on any external damage. Now that I can see it in better lighting I cant even find any scratches or gouges that go further than the paint surface. The 1st picture here is probably the worst cosmetic damage on the entire boat. About 90% of the other cosmetic issues can be removed with a decent cleaning. I crawled under the trailer and inspected the hull and keel and it all looks great. As long as nothing is hiding under the bunk boards I think it's in great shape (knock on wood!)

What product would be good for me to use to clean out under the engine?

2nd pic shows some surface scratches on the black section of the hull. How are you guys handling scratches on the colored parts of your boats?

3rd pic is a glamor shot!

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t think you should have buyer remorse, ( not yet at least). The boat probably a rental.
I will do a oils chance just in the the previous owner tried to save on service.
the Rest of the stuff are all fixable, don’t loose sleep over it.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The main thing is I would check the impeller. Check for any dings or issues there. If good you should be good to go.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use Simple green in the engine bay. Soak it down & let it sit a while, then use a small brush & water and it should look like new when done. Been there done that.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would use Simple green in the engine bay. Soak it down & let it sit a while, then use a small brush & water and it should look like new when done. Been there done that.

100% agree, simple green really does clean an engine bay nice. apply, let set and rinse out. Or hit it with a brush if you can reach it.

The rub rail ding is about the only thing you cannot fix without replacing. That's what it is there for, to take the hits. The scratches in the gelcote are surface scratches. It's not paint, so buffing is your friend. Everyone will have an opinion, but I use a 3M marine buffing compound and polishing pads. Go nuts and you will be amazed.

As far as the carpet, it's obvious that they replaced some damaged or pieces that blew out. In the first summer, you may realize you can't stand the smell and cleanliness (or lack there of) of carpet and replace it with SeaDek anyway.

Nice find, you did well. Now go enjoy it so the after buyers blues go away!

Last edited:

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe in my case the dealer supplied the anchor, chain and line as well as the fire extinguisher and a bunch of other safety stuff, not the factory. Engine bay should be easy cleanup, the rub rails do get beat up but that's a good gouge right there. 152 hours is a alot but nothing to worry about. Like others say I would change oil, filter, plugs and make sure there's no oil in the air filter. Check impeller and give the grease points on the steering, throttle cable and reverse bucket a dab of grease and hit the seat with 303 or similar protective and spray the metal parts down with some Yamalube anti corrosion stuff. Probably was a rental but that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing looks out of place IMHO.
I think you got a good deal. Clean it up, add some seadeck, change the oil and plugs, then upgrade the crap out of it haha. And enjoy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm late to the party here. Looks like a great boat for the price.

I think the other guys already have some answers for you. Here's my take since you asked (sorta :D :D)

1. The fire extinguisher is missing. (see picture)
No extinguisher supplied by the factory. That is a TERRIBLE placement for one. I would remove that bracket, and put one within easy reach of the captain.
That's really odd. Neither of those match my 2017 carpet. Guessing previous owner drank to much, lost his lunch and replaced the carpet instead of cleaning it.
3. The passenger console is not mounted correctly. It wont latch either. (see picture)
Something is awry there. Probably any easy fix, no big deal IMO.
4. The battery was dead when I showed up so they put a new battery in it. (Why not just charge the old one?) (see picture)
Probably just faster to put a new one in it than charge an old one. My bet is they charged the old one and tossed it in a used car.
5. Not sure if there should be a cover over the electronics in the engine bay but if so, it's missing (see picture)
No over in my '17 AR190 either. It looks odd, but I'm on season 4 without it and it doesn't appear to be a big deal. Even in torrential thunderstorms the electronics mounting area stays plenty dry.
6. Engine bay is dirty under the engine. Almost looks burnt? Not sure if this is normal (see picture)
My bet is someone changed the oil and didn't clean up after themselves, then got water in the bilge. Clean that crap out of there with some simple green and water. If it comes back, come back and talk to us. We'll figure it out.
7. Did the AR190 come with an anchor from the factory? If so this one is definitely not from the factory. Looks like it came off an old tub boat.
No anchor from the factory. Opinions on anchors are wildly varying. I use a "Navy Anchor" from Bass Pro and really like it. Others use different ones. Ask people at your local dock what they use and what they like. You'll get a better sense of what you need.

Not sure how many hours you have on that boat, but I'll tell you right now I wouldn't let my '17 AR190 with 150hrs on it go for $23k. It's in slightly better shape than yours with more hours, and more modifications. It's a great first boat (It's our second), and will serve you well as long as you care to own it. Maintenance, towing, and total cost of ownership is all really easy/low. Get yourself a Lucky 13 pump cone, seal the pump intake, and do a ribbon delete and it'll run 40's all day every day on the water.

Oh yea......Welcome aboard @Mister Fister !

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you got a deal IMHO. Per the community, the things mentioned can be fixed and you may be able to restore to new condition by some sort of Boat Detail service for way less than a new one. I just got a 2020 AR190 and paid all kinds of freight and admin fee's which made me decide to buy used in the future if we decide to upgrade.

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well crap. Under further inspection this is what I found. Looks like someone went over a rock. Is this something major for me to worry about. Should I get it repaired or just stop worrying and drive the damn thing?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well crap. Under further inspection this is what I found. Looks like someone went over a rock. Is this something major for me to worry about. Should I get it repaired or just stop worrying and drive the damn thing?

You do need to get that gouge addressed.

Spectrum has a kit they sell that you could use if you want to try and fix yourself.

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was my dumb butt fault for not checking the underside more thoroughly before I bought it. I knew better... I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those money I saved upfront but spent more to repair type situations.

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered some Spectrum gel coat patch paste repair. Wondering if I am getting in over my head and should just take it to someone locally to repair it? I assume fiberglass boat repairs are pretty expensive. I'll call around tomorrow and see what I can find out.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just touch up the areas that have exposed fiberglass. The rest would be easier repaired with a spray gun. Looks like damage from lift ,not from a rock.