• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchased a salt water Lift any recommendation on restoring/servicing it ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not a great picture, but I can take a few more this week. Where do I start ?

Attachments

• 14A8A23A-8B70-4FAF-BA2D-6F23AB8757E8.jpeg
    14A8A23A-8B70-4FAF-BA2D-6F23AB8757E8.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 79
If it stays at that dock first is a motor cover, then grease motor/gears LEVAL THE BACK CROSS BEAM cant see enough to see why its down. Cover bunks with carpet remove 2 he had a pontoon you only need the 2 down the middle and set them closer together in front and make sure the angle cut in inward. They have to be close enough in front to keep your fiberglass V off the cross beam. You need another guide pole also.

Really looks pretty solid

If you need extra hands let me know, glad to help

I put grease, 3 of the 4 points seem to have taken some in. The 4th seems stuck and I could not pump any. I will tomorrow with a screw or something point to see if the ball can be pushed backwards.
I also found out it is supposed to be a 16,000lbs lift !!!!!

Attachments

• B3B804E7-C056-40BF-BDDF-0522A3094218.jpeg
    B3B804E7-C056-40BF-BDDF-0522A3094218.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
  • A647E1C7-2369-4CBA-AA61-DB1E5CFF68CD.jpeg
    A647E1C7-2369-4CBA-AA61-DB1E5CFF68CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • C96A693B-CDE2-48F7-9681-F1403C61B7FF.jpeg
    C96A693B-CDE2-48F7-9681-F1403C61B7FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 9C814CFF-CF73-4FE5-A971-1DB4F251A276.jpeg
    9C814CFF-CF73-4FE5-A971-1DB4F251A276.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
I had someone take a look at the lift. I got this estimate and I wonder if this normal rate or it is “special” rate because I am 800 miles away ?
Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• 2E7CD8E0-1501-4BC6-AEF9-5EE281BC79D7.png
    2E7CD8E0-1501-4BC6-AEF9-5EE281BC79D7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 89951F84-0ED9-4DEA-B638-9B1D9D090623.png
    89951F84-0ED9-4DEA-B638-9B1D9D090623.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
800 miles away? No one closer? If the service personnel need to do that travel I can see that being half the cost.

The bunks are currently bolted through the cross beams. I would suggest using brackets that can slide on the beam and clamp down. This will allow you to tune in to the correct fit and allow you to easily change in the future.

The rear of my bunks align with the nozzles and let the TVs straddle the bunks. I think they are parallel up to the front.

2BEC3EAB-D4F7-4EF5-A7A6-2AC4AAD878FF.jpeg

@TimW451 thank you for response.
the technician is 10 miles away from the lift ( Panama City ) but I live in Dallas TX. So I am wondering if the market there is that high or if the estimated is over inflated.

@haknslash i just remembered didn’t you say that you going to give me some insights on ramps in Panama City ? Do you have any insight on lift repair cost ?

I had someone take a look at the lift. I got this estimate and I wonder if this normal rate or it is “special” rate because I am 800 miles away ?
Any thoughts ?
Looks to me that he gave you a list of things that you can do yourself and save the $$$

Looks to me that he gave you a list of things that you can do yourself and save the $$$
I could do the bunks and the greasing but respooling the cables is something I have not done before.
I am okay with a professional doing it , but $3k sounds a bit step although I do not know much about this line of work.

@haknslash i just remembered didn’t you say that you going to give me some insights on ramps in Panama City ? Do you have any insight on lift repair cost ?
Oops thought I gave you those. There are two public launches you can use that are better than the massive concrete wall and crazy waters of St. Andrews park launch and they’re not too far from the inlet, Shell Island etc.

The preferred launch I used was Safari boat ramp. It’s in better condition that the other one that’s just down the road called Dolphin boat ramp. Dolphin is in a bit rougher condition or was the times I’ve gone by there years ago. Either of these places you’ll want to get there early as parking tends to be find the best place along one of the near-by streets. These launches will put you in a shallow area so just get directly across to the channel and stay within the channel you’ll be fine.

Safari
34158453-644C-4442-98A7-B9C18DC38842.png

Dolphin
AD0BBD8F-A26C-49CD-93AE-FB17BC395FB0.png

I think he's charging you out of town rates, It seems like a lot for what would be a days work, to have it done right the first time and not have to break a sweat more than writing the check it may be worth it,

I just googled "respooling boat lift", I'm sure there's some tricks of the trade but it didn't look very complicated,

I think he's charging you out of town rates, It seems like a lot for what would be a days work, to have it done right the first time and not have to break a sweat more than writing the check it may be worth it,

I just googled "respooling boat lift", I'm sure there's some tricks of the trade but it didn't look very complicated,

I have tried but I have not seen a good and detailed video yet.

Fairly easy to respool.........First get a plank 2x12x12 board and place across your bunks.....I use large wood clamps to secured to cross beam(you will be walking on the wood plank and you don't want to fall into water. Second I use a heavy duty Ratchet straps go around metal lower cross beam and top beam tighten to remove weight on SS cables at that point you can respool with new or spool as needed need to level lift or in the case of Yamaha hull I would lower stern to allow water to drain better when opening drain plug. You can do one spool at a time or 2 ratchet straps to do both sides of front or rear at a time.

If said lift motors are still working I have even used rope looped around beams and lowered lift to remove weight in cables.................You know when weight is off cables the spools will get larger and loose. Strong rope looped several times is key if you go this way. Safety first if alone were a life jacket you know the drill. My wife reads a book and drinks lemonade as I toil.

I like using working motors to lift and lower weight...........remember if you respool at some point without working motors you will have to release ratchet strap she WILL DROP IN A HURRY giving you a good jolt and scare as you stand their.

good luck

Last edited:
@David Martin thank you for the input and I am following what you are suggesting. I do have a question though.
what do you think about lower lift all the way to bottom instead of using ratchet straps ? It is less than 3 feet deep and it will also give me a real good reference on much cable I need for each side.

Hey 3 ft sounds good to me........ down hear in Florida my lift is 6 ft deep and in my cove we have Bob the gator he hangs giving me the side eye.

Hey 3 ft sounds good to me........ down hear in Florida my lift is 6 ft deep and in my cove we have Bob the gator he hangs giving me the side eye.

I have not seen a Bob around there. I have seen a lot of deer swimming around though I figure a potential Bob goes for the deer first :-).

I will drop it down all the way to the bottom and start changing the cables as such. I ordered 1/4 SS cable of 150 feet and weight. Now I only need to drive 830 miles to take care of the lift ….

I'm at about 50hrs. We didn't use the boat last year and maybe get a week or two on it. The boat is at our second house. The Head Unit went out. Changed the oil first time after break in and then forgot how long it has been since the first change. Changed the oil this Jul with about 5yrs on the motors but about 20hrs on the boat. Greased the intermediate bearings and will do a new oil change at the end of this season. My boat is in Wis and I live mostly in AK so doing maintenance isn't easy. Starts great every time.

@Noko I think you might have wanted to post this under a different thread :-) Thank you for sharing, but I am just saying someone else might be waiting for your response

Back