• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question for the towable guys/gals

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should say that my biggest gripe is the length of the cords on some of the inflators. Mine I think is 6’ or 8’. Because of the size of the tube I need to inflate on the swim deck. Occasionally while inflating the plug will pull out of the dash mounted receptacle. I plan to either relocate another receptacle somewhere near the back of the cabin or more than likely wire in a longer plug but for right now it can be a pain.
https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Extension-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket/dp/B014TZVXH0/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528204327&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=12v+extension+cord+with+cigarette+lighter+plug&psc=1

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I had a 3 person super mable. It would fit in the port side compartment with the battery on my 192. The first 12 volt inflator i tried wouldn't build enough pressure. You will need a heavy duty inflator. Fill it up, put it in the water for a few minutes then add a little more air. It was a serious pain.

Got 4 good seasons out of it, kids loved it. Took it to the dump this morning and I couldn't be happier.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out in the garage and took some pics.

Here's how the tube rides when trailering:
20180605_193553.jpg

Here's how I route the ropes:
20180605_193709.jpg

Here's how it's attached while underway:
20180605_193836.jpg
20180605_193828.jpg

That setup did us well for all of last season. It's a pain when not underway and you're reboarding from riding the board or swimming or getting on at the dock.

SOOOOO.......I've ordered a 12v extension cord and deflated the tube to see how well it "stuffs" into storage. This seems like a good spot for now. I'll test over the next few outings and see how it works out. I'm seriously considering hinging the swim platform backrest and cutting a hole into that storage area. There is a ton of space between the platform backrest and the cockpit backrest, it's just currently impossible to access. Anywho, here's where I stuffed it:
20180605_202302.jpg

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks for the pics! I'll be giving that a try (trailering and underway setup).
Just called the dealer, my boat is still "in line" to be looked at...I've just bought plenty of lube

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I use a wireless/portable inflator that recharges. Had a bad experience inflating one time off cigarette lighter so I won't do that again :)

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I use a wireless/portable inflator that recharges. Had a bad experience inflating one time off cigarette lighter so I won't do that again :)
Yeah, I was thinking that if I went the onboard inflating/deflating route that I would lean towards an inflator/deflator that would connect right to the battery. Or put on in-line fuse and convert one to such a connection. I would hate to burn up the 12v cigarette adapter in the boat. Funny how cars and boats haven't included "cigarette lighters" in decades and yet some of us still use the moniker. I still do as well, it certainly dates me

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Certainly looks to be a versatile option, thanks.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm of the impression that somethings really don't need to be overbuilt or overthought. I love DeWalt as much as the next guy but..... you know that thing will be $100 minimum.

When the tool will be used for one main purpose, a $10 high volume low pressure pump really is ideal. And nobody will cry their eyes out if it gets dropped in the lake. That and the fact that it takes up so little room.

I think sometimes we have too much space in these boats and it allows us to carry way too much crap. If I hear one more person refer to their unnecessary crap on the boat as "ballast" I'm going to slap them into the lake and tell them I am "dropping ballast"

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Absolutely, I would evaluate all options on cost/benefit/weight/space. The Dewalt would have added benefit to fill tires on tow vehicle or trailer, but they would have to hold that air to be of any good and the case for needing air is usually more extensive than just needing some air.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm of the impression that somethings really don't need to be overbuilt or overthought. I love DeWalt as much as the next guy but..... you know that thing will be $100 minimum.

When the tool will be used for one main purpose, a $10 high volume low pressure pump really is ideal. And nobody will cry their eyes out if it gets dropped in the lake. That and the fact that it takes up so little room.

I think sometimes we have too much space in these boats and it allows us to carry way too much crap. If I hear one more person refer to their unnecessary crap on the boat as "ballast" I'm going to slap them into the lake and tell them I am "dropping ballast"
It's listed as $99 on the site as well.

I don't disagree with any of your points. I'm of the opinions that I buy quality items and only buy them once. Secondarily, if I can buy one thing that does many tasks I'll do that instead of many specialized items for individual tasks. The tool above would work well for me as it will inflate the air mattress at camp. It can add air to the bicycle tires at camp. It can refill an emptied tire (with the help of a bottle of green slime). If I can toss it on the boat and inflate the tube as well then just add one more use to the list.

For reference here's what I carry around now. Removing one thing and replacing it with another is hardly a waste of space (money perhaps). Especially when one has a considerable bulk of storage available. We're not backpacking in the wilderness here where every ounce of mass and cubic inch of volume are extremely valuable. Maybe we have too much crap on board, maybe not. I haven't denied anyone a seat, or been at risk of sinking, or taken a large performance hit, because of an excess of onboard items, so I'm not concerned at this point.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We’ve simplified are watersports by doing the wake boarding and knee boarding in the morning. Afterwards, usually before or during lunch we blow up a tube or two and use them for the rest of the day and deflate them on the way back to the ramp. If we have to tow one any distance without passengers I simply bring the front of the tube onto the swim deck and tie it off as close as possible to the boat’s tow point there. I used to store smaller inflated tubes on top of the bimini but am not comfortable doing so with big mable sized tubes weighing 60 + lbs.

Another option to an extension cord it to install another 12v port at the rear of the cockpit near the swim deck, over the batteries worked best for me. My guests see it to keep their phones charged as well.

Here is what I’ve been using quite a bit. It’s also great for deflating the tube but getting guests/riders to sit on it while on the swim deck is more fun. The pump pictured is $20 to $25 at Home Depot, on the negative side the smallest battery and charger, both sold separately from the pump is another $35ish.

Attachments

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
All good points mates, and I thank you for them. More than one way to skin a cat, and there are a number of ways listed here.
The dealer just called ... Boat is DONE!! So now I'll play around with tube inflation/deflation tomorrow and figure out how I'm going to skin that cat

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good points mates, and I thank you for them. More than one way to skin a cat, and there are a number of ways listed here.
The dealer just called ... Boat is DONE!! So now I'll play around with tube inflation/deflation tomorrow and figure out how I'm going to skin that cat
Awesome. Good luck with the "research" :D :D

I got caught in a rainstorm this weekend and the tube got soaked despite being inside the storage area and covered the whole time (it rained hard for awhile). I ahd to take it out to dry it out, and re-rolled it last night. Was able to get it a little smaller by folding it in half and then rolling it "long ways". Easily fits in the rear storage behind the captains chair now. Definitely going to be doing this moving forward instead of the "keep it inflated all the dang time" routine.

We'll have to see if I change my tune once we get it out on the water and have to put it back away on the water without the help of the concrete garage floor for rolling/empyting :D :D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2kwik4u your storage areas probably got soaked because of the cup holder drains right into them. There are no tubes on the stupid things. No idea why Yamaha did that!! Anyways I simply plugged mine so if it rains only the cup holder fills with water and I just slosh it out to empty it. You could run drain tubing system to the bilge but I won't do that unless I'm also going to run wiring for LED's in my cockpit. Until then I just leave them plugged so they don't pour water into my storage when it rains or I wash the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash Thanks for the tip. Hadn't considered the cup holders being the drain. The compartments weren't so wet that water came up when you stepped on the carpet in there, but it was definitely more water in there than I expected considering they have drains molded into the fiberglass all around the edges. The edge drains were clearly working a few times I was aboard during the deluge, as I could see the water draining around them and onto the floor near the scupper drain.

I'll plug those drains when I get a few minutes this week. Hopefully I don't get stuck in too many more rainstorms, but I'm sure it'll happen again.

I've seriously considered getting a 3/4 enclosure made just for days like that. We didn't have the boys (2mo and 6yrs) with us, so we just floated in the water for a few hours with some frosty beverages. If the boys were with us it would have been miserable and we would have had headed home to avoid the mess. Turned out to be a spectacular evening afterwards, so finding some better solution to keep rain/wind out of the main cockpit might be on next years mod list :D

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'll keep those cupholder drains in mind as well. Thanks

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Well, on the SX192 with two captain's chairs, there's no way I'm going to be able to stuff this Big Brawler under the trailering cover. I tried multiple angles and configurations...The thing is pretty dang big. So, I have an airhead 12v inflator/deflator coming and will have to resort to onboard inflating/deflating. Although, I did think of one other option after I already stowed the deflated Brawler in the starboard aft storage... inflating only the base at home, then inflate the back once on the water. The back was what was keeping it way up above the windshield. Not sure if it will fit that way, but worth a try to save time. Although I've seen reviews on the 12v pump that says it only takes 5 mins to inflate a 3-person and I'm only rolling with a 2-person so may be a moot point. I do like the way 2kwik4u tows his while underway and not in use, I tried it on the trailered boat and the Brawler only hangs off about a foot or so. Won't be doing 45mph runs, but at least you can cruise with it close to you. Thanks for everyone's input and thoughts, it why I always seek out forums when owning certain products/machinery/etc.