• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question for the towable guys/gals

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear you're making progress. I'm learning so many different ways to do things now than when I had my last boat. Some based on the different propulsion, some on the abundance of storage, and some based on just experience.

I too am a huge fan of product forums like this. IMO there is no single better source of information out there for a specific product than it's user base. I think I joined my first forum somewhere in the late 90's, and I think they continue to constitute 75% or more of my internet time.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
So we went out boating both days of this past weekend with beautiful weather in hand Ended up buying this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FE5PBA?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

And I must say that I'm impressed.. Reasonably quick fill that actually did a good job of really inflating the tube even though instructions say to top off with a hand/foot pump. I'm probably going to convert it to direct battery connect with a inline fuse because it does make me nervous pulling that much juice from the boat's 12v accessory socket.
After deflation, which went pretty quick as well, I stuffed it in the ski locker and now currently hanging in garage.
I also used 2kwik4u's idea for securing tube while cruising (on a very short leash off the tow hook with a backup tie to the rear cleat) and that worked out very well. In fact, so well that the tube survived a 40+ mph pass when I forgot it was back there... Oops

Last edited:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we went out boating both days of this past weekend with beautiful weather in hand Ended up buying this on Amazon:

And I must say that I'm impressed.. Reasonably quick fill that actually did a good job of really inflating the tube even though instructions say to top off with a hand/foot pump. I'm probably going to convert it to direct battery connect with a inline fuse because it does make me nervous pulling that much juice from the boat's 12v accessory socket.
After deflation, which went pretty quick as well, I stuffed it in the ski locker and now currently hanging in garage.
I also used 2kwik4u's idea for securing tube while cruising (on a very short leash off the tow hook with a backup tie to the rear cleat) and that worked out very well. In fact, so well that the tube survived a 40+ mph pass when I forgot it was back there... Oops
That’s the same inflator I have. It rocks on the big tubes. Use it for inflating and deflating.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have this same inflator. I replaced the 12v accessory outlet in the dash with a double USB then added a new accessory port in the back above and to the right of the engine flush port. It is wired directly to the battery switch so it is only powered when the batteries are on and has a water proof rubber cover.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm glad this worked for you as well. I've made several runs in the 40mph range with the tube hanging on for dear life on the swim platform. I can't see where it's any worse for wear at this point.

I haven't been back out and inflated the tube since I deflated and stowed. The 6yr old doesn't like to ride by himself, and with only 3 on board I'm without a spotter unless he takes a friend along. SO......I'm still waiting to test my new setup.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s the same inflator I have. It rocks on the big tubes. Use it for inflating and deflating.
I as well, it's the one I use too. Quick tip, zip tie the three tips to the power cord and you won't lose it. You can still use it while zip tied. I honestly wish I could reverse it on some of these tubes to deflate as quickly as they inflate. I end up sticking the tip in the tube to allow the one way valve to stay open while deflating.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I as well, it's the one I use too. Quick tip, zip tie the three tips to the power cord and you won't lose it. You can still use it while zip tied. I honestly wish I could reverse it on some of these tubes to deflate as quickly as they inflate. I end up sticking the tip in the tube to allow the one way valve to stay open while deflating.
you can reverse it. just put the tip on the top opening.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Zip tying the tips was the first thing I thought of. They were for sure a lost item. And yeah, stick the tip on the exhaust for deflation, but to be quite honest seemed just as quick to let the kiddos lay down on it with the valve flipped open. Good to suck out that last little bit of air though

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Instead of building my own alligator clips with an in-line fuse, I ended up buying this...
https://www.amazon.com/Dolity-Battery-Alligator-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0796PJS6V/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1529444985&sr=8-7&keywords=cigarette+lighter+to+alligator+clips
For $3.63 and free shipping, I couldn't resist. The 12v cigarette male plug has a fuse already in it so a fuse in this application is not needed. They also sell an adapter like this with ring terminals on the end instead of alligator clips for a more permanent solution, but I didn't think it would be prudent on my only battery.
Eventually I'm going to run a DC Sub Panel like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000THQ0CQ/?coliid=I17JXBV90DYUAS&colid=1MJ8OWVDNHDX7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
and I would then seek out a more permanent solution than using the boats' only 12v accessory plug that we like to use to charge phones, etc. or this alligator clip adapter.

Last edited:

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have the uprgraded version of the big mable and its easy to inflate on the water on the bow seats of my AR195.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My experience aligns with others but I'll add to this thread anyway.
I have the 3-person Big Mable and I typically keep it half-inflated because it's a pain to try to get the air bladders back in place once they are twisted up. And for the short distances I trailer, it's easy to tie down with bungies in the boat. Once under way I do the full inflation with an air mattress pump that has both 12v cord and rechargeable batteries. It fills up very quick.
I haven't used it in my AR195 yet. I suspect the cord length might be an issue with the wake tower in the way. The solution will likely be to inflate in the bow as Arcadyus says he does above.
The other good thing about that inflatable despite its unwieldy size is that it's great for using as a swim platform when we're anchored.
The kids will jump from the boat to it. Play king of the hill on it, etc. Or adults can lay on it and relax with their beer (that'd be me ;-).
Then when done with it, I partially deflate, secure in the boat and when I return home, I just hang it up and let it dry.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been doing this for the last few outings, and it seems to work OK for us. Slightly less PIA than leaving it inflated all the time.

Stored completely deflated in the starboard rear storage area. Folded "longways" it will slip into the area, then stand up in the void behind the rear seat. This makes it almost completely hidden and leaves that storage area available for the large cooler (when we have it). Once on the lake, if it's needed/wanted we'll blow it up with a corded 12V blower. I too have just discovered that the bow works as a great place for this, and is close to the 12V port in the dash. We play all day with it. Deflate it when we're done. This is done with the 12V pump and helps to really flatten it out. It's laid in the floor and folded as best we can on the boat. Then it's restored in the starboard rear compartment........He's the PIA part. When we get home I ahve to drag it back out, unfold, and let it air dry. This is still a reduction in PIA factor as we aren't tripping/tying/dropping/carrying the thing around as much. It does end up getting unfolded/folded a few times extra to dry at home. I've been laying it over the bow in the garage for a few nights at a time to dry, and that seems to be enough.

I'm gonna stick with this for now, as it allows us to take the tube every single time, and have the option of NOT using it. If we don't use it, it just stays folded and stowed, and it's a HUGE time/effort savings then. If we do use it, it's about a wash between the two with a slight nod towards the stowed configuration. Wish I would have tried this sooner. Our last boat didn't have nearly as much storage as this one, so storing/deflating the tube was never even an option.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I've been doing this for the last few outings, and it seems to work OK for us. Slightly less PIA than leaving it inflated all the time.

Stored completely deflated in the starboard rear storage area. Folded "longways" it will slip into the area, then stand up in the void behind the rear seat. This makes it almost completely hidden and leaves that storage area available for the large cooler (when we have it). Once on the lake, if it's needed/wanted we'll blow it up with a corded 12V blower. I too have just discovered that the bow works as a great place for this, and is close to the 12V port in the dash. We play all day with it. Deflate it when we're done. This is done with the 12V pump and helps to really flatten it out. It's laid in the floor and folded as best we can on the boat. Then it's restored in the starboard rear compartment........He's the PIA part. When we get home I ahve to drag it back out, unfold, and let it air dry. This is still a reduction in PIA factor as we aren't tripping/tying/dropping/carrying the thing around as much. It does end up getting unfolded/folded a few times extra to dry at home. I've been laying it over the bow in the garage for a few nights at a time to dry, and that seems to be enough.

I'm gonna stick with this for now, as it allows us to take the tube every single time, and have the option of NOT using it. If we don't use it, it just stays folded and stowed, and it's a HUGE time/effort savings then. If we do use it, it's about a wash between the two with a slight nod towards the stowed configuration. Wish I would have tried this sooner. Our last boat didn't have nearly as much storage as this one, so storing/deflating the tube was never even an option.
That has got to be a bitch folding that back up wet and putting it into that storage compartment. I just tie ours up to the swim platform once it's wet. Then put it in my front yard the next day to dry. I once had the bladder flip completely over. That was a real bitch trying to figure out what was wrong. That's when I quit folding it up wet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That has got to be a bitch folding that back up wet and putting it into that storage compartment. I just tie ours up to the swim platform once it's wet. Then put it in my front yard the next day to dry. I once had the bladder flip completely over. That was a real bitch trying to figure out what was wrong. That's when I quit folding it up wet.
It's not as bad as I thought. I deflate it by pulling the valve completely out, hooking the blower up to it backwards (I call this super suck mode, and the wife always rolls her eyes at me), then close it back up. If I lay it long ways on the floor between the bow and cockpit the side kind of fold in on themselves. I then just roll/fold from there and it's about the right shape/size to stuff back into storage.

It sounds far worse than it is.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I too store my 2-person Big Brawler dry in the starboard aft storage compartment. Once wet and deflated I tend to roll and stuff it into ski locker. Unless I'm lazy, then I leave it in a big ball in middle of stern seating and that's only at end of day usually so no big deal.
I found Harbor Freight lashing straps (2 for 4 bucks) to work well with helping it get smaller