• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reading Oil Level question

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I pull the dip sticks (1.8L '18 240x) it seems as if there is only a little oil along the side edge of the the stick. Is this because it's cold? Should there be a clear level of oil on the stick? Sorry for the dumb question getting prepared for my first round of maintenance.

I would warm the engine on the hose. You don't want to change it cold. Then let it settle for a minute or two, then take a clean reading. I like to pull the stick out and lay it on a white paper towel which shows you exactly what the level is. Sometimes it is hard to read.

Place a small level on top of the engine and then adjust the trailer so that the bubble is in the middle of the level then open the fill cap to allow air in and let the oil settle then take a reading on the stick. Measure the exact amount of oil you are removing and change the oil filter making sure you either run grease around the base of the filter where the crimp line is " I cover it with aluminum tape " . Remember to add 1/2 quart for the filter. I lay rags below it when removing it to catch the oil that spills. now when you refill the oil, only place in what you removed, I Have a way to get nearly every bit out but most people will be at least a quart less than what there was in the engine . in any event bring oil with you and when you put the boat in the water let it sit and idle for a bit, then check the stick and add what you need leaving it between the 2 marks on the stick, run the boat and at the end of the day recheck the oil with the boat in the water.

Place a small level on top of the engine and then adjust the trailer so that the bubble is in the middle of the level then open the fill cap to allow air in and let the oil settle then take a reading on the stick. Measure the exact amount of oil you are removing and change the oil filter making sure you either run grease around the base of the filter where the crimp line is " I cover it with aluminum tape " . Remember to add 1/2 quart for the filter. I lay rags below it when removing it to catch the oil that spills. now when you refill the oil, only place in what you removed, I Have a way to get nearly every bit out but most people will be at least a quart less than what there was in the engine . in any event bring oil with you and when you put the boat in the water let it sit and idle for a bit, then check the stick and add what you need leaving it between the 2 marks on the stick, run the boat and at the end of the day recheck the oil with the boat in the water.

Details are appreciated. Thank You.

Back