• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Really Embarassing Rookie moves

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long story here so apologies for its length.

Ok, so i consider myself a rookie when it comes to operating my jetboat. My waverunner im a beast, but the boat, still learning.
Took it out last week during the week to try and practice launching/docking and to get the wife to practice backing up the trailer etc..

Ramp was pretty much empty so i prepped the boat and launched with no issues. Tied up I started the engines and was going over everything, while the wife parked the DD/Trailer. I noticed that the jetwash was kinda frothy but attributed it to the water at the ramp, didnt think much of it. Few mins later I get a port engine overheat alarm and i shut the engines off right away. Wait a minute and go to turn them on, starboard turns on fine, but port beeps with overheat, i look and pissers arent pissing water. I shut it all off again and open engine hatch. I could put my hand in the exhaust of the SB engine but could not touch the port engine. Thought that was really weird so I did some quick visual checks and couldnt find anything. Asked the wife to go get the trailer to pull it out, not gonna risk damaging an engine. Noticed when loading the boat on the trailer that the SB engine seemed to not have a lot of thrust when power loading.

Pull the boat out and drove to the staging area and checked the obvious, hoses, connections, pissers etc.. Thought a bug clogged one of the pissers but that wasn't it. Then went to the pump area and decided to remove the water pickup strainer in case something decided to build a nest. Nothing, clean as a whistle so that wasn't it either. Decided to open the clean out hatch and check if there was an obstruction that i sucked up while launching the boat.

BOOM..... that is when i realized I had left both cleanout plugs out laying on top of the panel. I stood there and just shook my head in disbelief that I went thru my checklist and thought I had covered the cleanout plugs.
Launched the boat again and started the SB engine and this time the jetwash was no longer "frothy". I then cranked the port engine and alarm was gone and all components cool to the touch and both pissers happily pissing cool water. So apparently with the plugs out, it doesn't build enough pressure to push the water for cooling.

Had a good day at one of the local islands, the Shore Spike worked flawlessly again keeping the boat tied up.

On the way back, the wind had picked up and there was a strong current at the ramp. That was a disaster also, could not for the life of me get the boat where I needed it to be to tie it up. I was using the current to push me into the dock but for some reason I could not keep it there. Was really embarrassing that I had so much issues. It wasn't a maneuvering problem either, the boat responded perfectly, it was operator error.

I was coming in at a 45 and as soon as i got the bow close I would throw it in reverse to get the stern close but the bow would creep away from the dock. I was keeping the wheel turned towards the dock just alternating between forward/reverse. Took me a while before I could line it up, pretty bad, need more practice when its empty again.

Hope you enjoy reading my long/winded story.

Good share. I did the same with the plugs on the first family outing this year. I thought I overfilled the oil until I got back to the dock and realized it was the plugs once I stepped onto the swim platform. One plug came out easily, the other was cocked in pretty good and I thought I was going to have to do the jack thing to get it out.

First ride of this year I forgot to lock the cleanout plugs in. She idled out fine, when to get on plane, boom, STBD engine dies. LOL DUH... Welcome to boating!

BTDT, too. My 2nd outing owning a boat, in fact. Almost flooded the engines.

Now, when I come off the water, the cleanout plugs come out, get laid on the wet storage and the wet storage door gets left open. Why? I can't even start the boat without going back there and putting in the plugs...

Same here. 3rd Trip out. We launch the boat, I just ease it off the trailer while my wife parks the truck & Trailer.
Cruising in no Wake Mode, something seems 'off'. As soon as I try to accelerate I know something is not right.
I think about that time I thought of the plugs. I was able to get both locked down while bobbing around in the marina and no water entered the boat.

It happens. I’ve been boating my whole life and still have done this twice. Both times with a 120 qt cooler packed for 3-4 days of food and drink on top of the clean out hatch. Both times my kids were the only ones on the boat besides me. Had to move the cooler to the lower tier and back up myself which was not fun.

I left the tie down straps on once. We all make mistakes! Docking just takes practice. You’ll have it down in no time.
I called the service manager and stated after my service boat won’t start. It cranks but does not turn over. He said two words, “kill” and “switch” talk about embarrassing.

These things are so easy to do. I’ve left the back trailer straps on while backing off the trailer, the front winch strap on while backing off the trailer, the drain plug out, etc. and had all the docking issues one could think of. Here’s a few things I do now to help reduce the issues. For my check off list I start from the back and work my way to the front. Back trailer straps, drain plug, clean out ports, turn batteries on, inset keys, etc. all the way to trailer winch strap before pulling off.

For docking, I have the bumpers and ropes ready to go before launching. For the ropes though, I have one at the front and rear cleats, but I extend the rear cleat rope all the way to the front (making sure it’s on the outside of the tower) so that when I jump off onto the dock, I have both ropes in hand so I have control of the entire boat. Give it a try.

I left the drain plug out this weekend.

realized it the minute after I parked the trailer. Put the ladder down and was able to screw the plug in with the boat in the water.

I left the drain plug out this weekend.

realized it the minute after I parked the trailer. Put the ladder down and was able to screw the plug in with the boat in the water.
Yikes, this is one of my greatest fears, lol.
I took it out one weekend and was out in the bay and for some reason I freaked out thinking I had left the drain plug out. I checked to see if the bilge was running but it wasn't. Just in case I figured as long as I keep it on plane until I get to the destination then no water should enter the boat. Got to the island and backed it up but luckily the plug was in. Just being paranoid, lol.

I’ve left the clean out plugs and the drain plug out on the same trip. You’d think one bonehead mistake would make you check everything else for that day but nope.

@Acard7 post sums it up.
Drain plug is my biggest fear.

Happens to everyone. I leave a bright colored small towel hanging out of the clean out hatch. Hopefully would notice it getting the boat ready as a reminder.

After 4 flawless years, I hit the fuel dock hard couple weeks ago. GelCoat repair to come.

When you are docking, have lines ready to go, and don't be afraid to use a boat hook. We are ready to go with ours whenever we are docking, in-case I read the current or wind wrong. Nothing wrong with it.

Practice, practice, practice, patience.IMG_2478.JPEGIMG_2482.JPEG

Last edited:
We left the sandbar on Sunday dragging a dock line that my wife had tied to the back cleat and her pool floaty while we were at the sandbar. About 10 seconds after hit WOT my 7yo daughter, sitting next to me starts screaming "dad rope dad rope!" That was a big 5/8" dock line too - could've been a bad day to sucks that baby up. At least I taught my daughter well - "mind the ropes even when dad doesn't!"

Yikes, this is one of my greatest fears, lol.
I took it out one weekend and was out in the bay and for some reason I freaked out thinking I had left the drain plug out. I checked to see if the bilge was running but it wasn't. Just in case I figured as long as I keep it on plane until I get to the destination then no water should enter the boat. Got to the island and backed it up but luckily the plug was in. Just being paranoid, lol.

It was several minutes before I was able to put it back in. It wasn't going to sink the boat, the bilge never even ran. I opened the hatch and saw the water in the outer hull but it didn't high enough to get into the main hull or to trigger the bilge. In any case it was super easy to screw in from the ladder, without putting my head under, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Happens to everyone. I leave a bright colored small towel hanging out of the clean out hatch. Hopefully would notice it getting the boat ready as a reminder.

After 4 flawless years, I hit the fuel dock hard couple weeks ago. GelCoat repair to come.

When you are docking, have lines ready to go, and don't be afraid to use a boat hook. We are ready to go with ours whenever we are docking, in-case I read the current or wind wrong. Nothing wrong with it.

Practice, practice, practice, patience.View attachment 155162View attachment 155163
Ouch!.
Yeah, I went out and bought a boat hook over the weekend. I was so worried I'd end up on @robert843 (BroncosGuru) youtube channel, lol, I looked around.

It was several minutes before I was able to put it back in. It wasn't going to sink the boat, the bilge never even ran. I opened the hatch and saw the water in the outer hull but it didn't high enough to get into the main hull or to trigger the bilge. In any case it was super easy to screw in from the ladder, without putting my head under, so I wouldn't stress about it.
Good to know that it wasn't that bad even after a few mins.

Ouch!.
Yeah, I went out and bought a boat hook over the weekend. I was so worried I'd end up on @robert843 (BroncosGuru) youtube channel, lol, I looked around.
Right, I watch those videos every weekend. Amazes me how many people get to the dock without lines ready.

Back