• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Really Embarassing Rookie moves

I left the drain plug out this weekend.

realized it the minute after I parked the trailer. Put the ladder down and was able to screw the plug in with the boat in the water.
I did the same thing last weekend. I took both of the plugs out since the boat sat out in some thunderstorms Friday night and wasn't sure how good the covers kept the water out in my new to me boat. Had my wife back into the water and I floated out. I had done some adjustments to my reverse bucket and was testing it out before I pulled up to the dock. As I pulled up to the dock I heard water splashing and thought what the heck. Looked over and my bilge was shooting out. I immediately realized what happened and jumped right over the back and put the plugs in under water.

Drain plug is my biggest fear.
Bilge pump can easily keep up with the drain plug. We went several miles & floated for a while before I noticed the pump was cycling a lot. I guess it probably doesn’t take on much or any when you’re up on plane.

Bilge pump can easily keep up with the drain plug. We went several miles & floated for a while before I noticed the pump was cycling a lot. I guess it probably doesn’t take on much or any when you’re up on plane.
Good to know, i figured as much since the drain itself isn't a large opening. On plane its not in the water per say so not a worry there.

Somebody on here posted once to always fire the engine up before you leave home so you don’t end up trying to launch at the ramp and the engine won’t start. I thought that was good advice so I do that each time now before we head to the ramp. Also, I messed up the last time out, just forgot about it. When we started to head back in and when I got up to speed, I noticed the Jet stream seemed really strange and wide (keep in mind I have a SX190). Had that oh shit/lightbulb moment! I left the ladder down! Stopped and pulled it in. Inspected when back on the trailer and fortunately no damage.

We left the sandbar on Sunday dragging a dock line that my wife had tied to the back cleat and her pool floaty while we were at the sandbar. About 10 seconds after hit WOT my 7yo daughter, sitting next to me starts screaming "dad rope dad rope!" That was a big 5/8" dock line too - could've been a bad day to sucks that baby up. At least I taught my daughter well - "mind the ropes even when dad doesn't!"
We tied up to some other boats, and after while they asked me to drop an anchor just in case. (First time tying up to people). About an hour later everyone decides to leave, and since I am on an end I am rushing. We idled out away from the bridge where everyone was partying until we got far enough away to put the kids on the tubes and throttle up. At that same 10 second mark you hit my wife starts screaming something worse than "Rope!" She starts screaming "Anchor!" It was on top of the water between the tubes. I damn near sold the boat 5 minutes later when we got to the marina I was so upset.

It still makes me sick to think about, but hopefully you realize forgetting the cleanouts was no big deal. (I also did those and the drain plug one day so maybe I should have sold now that I think about it).

I have:
  1. Left the clean out ports out too often to count! D'oh
  2. Left the plug out twice - once at the Falls Lake Gathering! LOL
  3. Left the straps on once......"why the heck won't it back off the trailer!" LOL
  4. Left the anchor down once (thankfully didn't suck up the line!)
  5. Left the boat keys at the house once (never did that again) - was an hour each way to the house (in Illinois)
  6. Went to go tubing - no tow rope in boat
  7. Forgot to bring beer - just kidding....never did that! LOL

We tied up to some other boats, and after while they asked me to drop an anchor just in case. (First time tying up to people). About an hour later everyone decides to leave, and since I am on an end I am rushing. We idled out away from the bridge where everyone was partying until we got far enough away to put the kids on the tubes and throttle up. At that same 10 second mark you hit my wife starts screaming something worse than "Rope!" She starts screaming "Anchor!" It was on top of the water between the tubes. I damn near sold the boat 5 minutes later when we got to the marina I was so upset.

It still makes me sick to think about, but hopefully you realize forgetting the cleanouts was no big deal. (I also did those and the drain plug one day so maybe I should have sold now that I think about it).
Holy cr**.... you sir take the trophy for the time being. I cant imagine how lucky you are that you didn't suck up the rope or worse the chain for the anchor.

Somebody on here posted once to always fire the engine up before you leave home so you don’t end up trying to launch at the ramp and the engine won’t start. I thought that was good advice so I do that each time now before we head to the ramp. Also, I messed up the last time out, just forgot about it. When we started to head back in and when I got up to speed, I noticed the Jet stream seemed really strange and wide (keep in mind I have a SX190). Had that oh shit/lightbulb moment! I left the ladder down! Stopped and pulled it in. Inspected when back on the trailer and fortunately no damage.
I also lock my cleanout plug at home before going to the ramp.

I have:
  1. Left the clean out ports out too often to count! D'oh

BA680C55-FD10-4DEF-A576-E6A197F711F3.gif
Thanks for Julian reminding me of the Simpsons D’OH, this gif definitely belongs in this thread as well for when we realize our rookie mistakes ???

Yep….rookie mistakes…My second time out by myself without someone experienced last year, I climb in the boat to back it off the trailer…..Turn the keys and it’s cranking but won’t start. I started to panic, and thought something is wrong with my boat, I bought a lemon…..After a minute or so of being flustered (seemed WAY longer), I called my friend @WildCatFan54 , and as he’s telling me what it is, it hit me. The red ECOS wasn’t on……DUH

These things are so easy to do. I’ve left the back trailer straps on while backing off the trailer, the front winch strap on while backing off the trailer, the drain plug out, etc. and had all the docking issues one could think of. Here’s a few things I do now to help reduce the issues. For my check off list I start from the back and work my way to the front. Back trailer straps, drain plug, clean out ports, turn batteries on, inset keys, etc. all the way to trailer winch strap before pulling off.

For docking, I have the bumpers and ropes ready to go before launching. For the ropes though, I have one at the front and rear cleats, but I extend the rear cleat rope all the way to the front (making sure it’s on the outside of the tower) so that when I jump off onto the dock, I have both ropes in hand so I have control of the entire boat. Give it a try.
I don’t know if it was @BRosen or @rbarthur21 but I just got a trophy for 500 likes. Ha! Thank you!

Here's what funny.... (oh 1st post here. Howdy!) the same thing happened today actually. Just bought a 2011 242 Limited and we were backing it off the trailer, I was in reverse and not getting any power... odd, frustration growing. :-) THEN I remembered this post (I read it yesterday). Light bulb over my head- boom, went back, both clean outs were not locked... pop them back in, and give a full belly laugh. My buddy thought I was nuts... "why are laughing, get the boat off the trailer!" LMFAO

We had a great day, I really enjoy this boat.

Holy cr**.... you sir take the trophy for the time being. I cant imagine how lucky you are that you didn't suck up the rope or worse the chain for the anchor.
I am an absolute imbecile. No question. And sucking up a rope was the least of my worries honestly. But I tell these stories on myself in the hopes that someone thinks of this and it doesn't happen to them, or if they do make a rookie mistake they know they aren't alone and there is always some jackass who did something dumber.

I think we've all done some of those things in the past. Just last trip I had to clean out some weeds and when putting the plug back in I didn't lock it. it popped right out and I had no thrust. Took me a moment to realize what I'd done.

When I tow, I always use the towing cover, so my boat is pretty snugged down. I also bought a red "Remove before Flight" glad that's about 18" long and put a carabiner on it. When I tow, I clip it to the hand rail on the swim platform and everyone knows that's one of "my things" to remove. That visual flag is right at eye level and when preparing the boat to launch, it's my reminder to stop, and think about the launch process and my personal rule is I won't get onto the boat until the drain plug is in and the transom straps have been removed. I then leave that thing there until I have the cover off and then start working my way from stern to bow opening it up.

I wet-slip my boat in the lake over the summer and in between trips I clip the flag to the steering wheel as that's my reminder to put the plugs back in (I remove them when away from the boat for several days).

When we launch and retrieve, I pretty much tell my wife to "stand there and look pretty". Joking aside, she does help. Our normal launch routine is prepping the boat in the prep lane (as you should). I back mostly down in the ramp, then I hop on the boat and she backs the rest of the way to launch. On retrieval, we park at the courtesy dock. She holds the boat and I go get the trailer.

One day I backed the trailer down the ramp, set the parking brake, then went to the courtesy dock and drove the boat around to the ramp to put it on the trailer. As I was coming around, I noticed the reverse lights were illuminated. Oh shit! I had the SUV parking brake engaged, but left it in reverse and of course the surge brakes disengaged. At the crowded ramp, I tried to whisper "Babe, put the car in park!!!" Slightly louder "Baaabe!!!! Put the car in park!!!!" She yelled "What?!?" I tried to gesture and in an increased tone "put it in park!!".

We didn't lose the vehicle and all is well. Lesson learned.

Ok, you guys are scaring me…lol. I already had my major F-up this year and can’t afford another. I just jumped on the computer and made a temporary checklist. Caribiner and all. Putting it on the cleanout hatch for now, and another one in the front seat of my rig.

Attachments

• 2BA42086-80A5-4840-A745-1C78150635D5.jpeg
    2BA42086-80A5-4840-A745-1C78150635D5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 44
Ok, you guys are scaring me…lol. I already had my major F-up this year and can’t afford another. I just jumped on the computer and made a temporary checklist. Caribiner and all. Putting it on the cleanout hatch for now, and another one in the front seat of my rig.

The more you launch the easier it becomes and basically is muscle memory. Will become second nature. I basically run through everything at the house through launch without even thinking about it anymore.

Back