• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Really Embarassing Rookie moves

Took the boat out the second time since it was delivered in June on a Saturday. No issues. Took it out again the following day and as I'm backing away from the trailer after I launched I realized I forgot to put in the drain plug. My dad pulls the truck away and I'm yelling and motioning for him to come back. He doesn't see me and can't hear me and goes to park the rig. I immediately start the bilge and tie up to the dock. I can't reach the drain plug from the back swim deck so I pull out the boarding ladder and go for a swim. Screwed it on and once back aboard popped the engine hatch. Luckily there wasn't any water in it and the day was saved. This past weekend after I launched the boat... same scenario but this time the boat wouldn't move in reverse or forward. I thought something was wrong with the impellers. My wife was in the rig and after she pulled forward she couldn't back the trailer back into the water as she is a novice when it comes to that. So finally made it to the dock after going full throttle and wondering what the issue could be. I tie up to the dock and head back to open the hatch to the clean out ports and immediately realized I forgot to put the clean out plugs in. After doing so I popped the engine hatch and there wasn't in water in it again. I'm glad these things happened because I can guarantee that after experiencing these forgetful issues that it won't happen again. Same forgetful drain plug issue happened to me when I bought my jetskis a few years ago.
Experiences like these only make one a safer boater. It’s a right of passage, and baptism by fire at times.

Just today :banghead:

Well, this is on me and the kid... New kid at the fuel dock. Loosens the gas cap, spins it off and lets go, because he assumes its tethered. *Plop*. I was in the front of the boat, I see him look up like he saw a dear, then scramble to grab something. And its gone. He just looks up and says, "uh, I just dropped your gas cap"... It wasn't his fault, he felt really bad and tried not to look at me.

Ugh. Well, I got gas anyway, then put her away until I can order a new one. That kinda ruined the boating day. :-(. Probably for the best, just getting to the fuel dock was challenging. LOTs of boats trying to get in there, 2 boats piloted by inexperienced people who were bumping into other boats. One a rather old cuddie, tried to fit in a space too small for him. He knocked bows (his and theirs) with a brand new Moomba, because he was trying to back it in, and then swing the stern (side docking). Capt Moomba wasn't around. I went over and politely asked for a line to help him, he apparently didn't want any help.

So, I ordered a new OEM cap with the seal, chain, screw and rivet. Gonna fix it right right way. Unlike the PO, who didn't. I should have known. I have filled it on land. And the experienced full time fuel kid has filled it (without issue) at the marina. I wasn't even thinking it didn't have a tether. Ugh.

Just today :banghead:

Well, this is on me and the kid... New kid at the fuel dock. Loosens the gas cap, spins it off and lets go, because he assumes its tethered. *Plop*. I was in the front of the boat, I see him look up like he saw a dear, then scramble to grab something. And its gone. He just looks up and says, "uh, I just dropped your gas cap"... It wasn't his fault, he felt really bad and tried not to look at me.

Ugh. Well, I got gas anyway, then put her away until I can order a new one. That kinda ruined the boating day. :-(. Probably for the best, just getting to the fuel dock was challenging. LOTs of boats trying to get in there, 2 boats piloted by inexperienced people who were bumping into other boats. One a rather old cuddie, tried to fit in a space too small for him. He knocked bows (his and theirs) with a brand new Moomba, because he was trying to back it in, and then swing the stern (side docking). Capt Moomba wasn't around. I went over and politely asked for a line to help him, he apparently didn't want any help.

So, I ordered a new OEM cap with the seal, chain, screw and rivet. Gonna fix it right right way. Unlike the PO, who didn't. I should have known. I have filled it on land. And the experienced full time fuel kid has filled it (without issue) at the marina. I wasn't even thinking it didn't have a tether. Ugh.
Just carry a spare..fortunately my boat doesn’t have a cap, just a locking door. Sorry it ruined your outing. Hopefully you can grt back out there today.

Just carry a spare..fortunately my boat doesn’t have a cap, just a locking door. Sorry it ruined your outing. Hopefully you can grt back out there today.
Thank you. YES! I ordered a spare as well. so I will have 2 in case plop plop happens again. It will take a few days to get here. but by next weekend I should be good to go. hopefully.

I would love to have a locking door (flip open would even be better), but I don't know if I can fit a newer style on mine. Research is now in order :-)

I will add one I haven't seen on here yet:

I have a shorelander trailer with the swing away tounge. It never gets used as the boat is stored outside. After our trip across the county with it, I pulled the pin to check on a brake actuator leak. I purposefully left the tounge swung all they way back as a reminder that I need to insert the pin. Life got in the way and we didn't use the boat for a month or so until the day we were rushing to get to the ramp before the crowd. We pulled out of the driveway and when I made my first turn, there was a bang/clunk sound. I immediately stopped and inspected the trailer. Checked the coupler, chains, brakes. Everything I could think of. Went around the block to try and make the sound again and heard nothing. We headed down the highway for a good 15 miles to gas it up and never heard a sound. The gas station was tight and I had to back into a pump, when all of a sudden I saw a boat coming at me in the rearview and a much bigger BANG! That's when I finally realized I had driven the whole way without the pin in place. My stomach sunk thinking about how horrible this could have ended if there was any kind of wobble on the highway. Luckily the tounge folded against the bumper of the truck with millimeters between the bow of the boat and the tailgate. I consider myself very lucky as the only scar I have to show for this is an indent in the plastic bumper cover.

To makes matters worse, the pin was not with me. It was sitting at home in the garage. The saving grace was the toolkit I always keep in the truck bed. Just for future reference, a 1/2 inch ratchet extension is the perfect diameter. Needless to say, the pin has become an absolute on my checklist.

Sorry for this Pre-Rookie question, ( I have order a jetboat, don’t have it yet )
Why was the clean out plugs removed or unlocked in the first place?
Is there a reason to remove the clean out plugs?
Is this part of some procedure for storage?
Drain plugs I understand been there done that on other boats

Sorry for this Pre-Rookie question, ( I have order a jetboat, don’t have it yet )
Why was the clean out plugs removed or unlocked in the first place?
Is there a reason to remove the clean out plugs?
Is this part of some procedure for storage?
Drain plugs I understand been there done that on other boats
The best practice is to remove the plugs and clean the tubes after every trip. Water will usually collect on top of the plugs and it gets all gross and slimy. Best to leave them out between trips due to expansion and contraction of the materials due to temperature changes.
Several people have had the plugs basically fused to the tubes. They used a car jack to pull them out. You risk damage to the plug and/or tubes.

The best practice is to remove the plugs and clean the tubes after every trip. Water will usually collect on top of the plugs and it gets all gross and slimy. Best to leave them out between trips due to expansion and contraction of the materials due to temperature changes.
Several people have had the plugs basically fused to the tubes. They used a car jack to pull them out. You risk damage to the plug and/or tubes.
Thank you.
I have two boat lifts, one has a canopy over it and the other the boathouse in my profile picture. I intend on using the lift all season and only trailering for first & last launch of the season.
So would it still be best to leave them out even on a covered lift?
When you do pull them do you still leave them in the tube or totally remove them from the tube?

Attachments

• 81009F5C-39D4-4C60-BF64-1CB202C159F4.jpeg
    81009F5C-39D4-4C60-BF64-1CB202C159F4.jpeg
    857.8 KB · Views: 8
Thank you.
I have two boat lifts, one has a canopy over it and the other the boathouse in my profile picture. I intend on using the lift all season and only trailering for first & last launch of the season.
So would it still be best to leave them out even on a covered lift?
When you do pull them do you still leave them in the tube or totally remove them from the tube?

I would definitely still remove them. Water accumulates on top of them after a day of boating. I lay mine down sideways on the top of the hole so they can drain out. It’s something that takes about 15 seconds to do and will save you hours of painful labor and cash on a rebuild kit. It would also really suck to be out on the lake and need to clean something out and have it be stuck in there. Your done for the day/weekend and may need a tow if you got a single.

Back