• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear Kill Switch Disconnect - ‘05 AR 230

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know anything about bypassing one of the rear kill switches? Figured I would check with you guys before I jumped off into it.

As I’ve said before, I just recently bought this boat and have only had it out 3 times. Once to test drive, once for just a short period of time, and the last time sucked the rope up and have been working on it since.

Anyway, at test drive it cranked fine. The second time out It cranked fine. Before going out the 3rd time I cranked it a few times and the starboard engine started taking longer to start than the port side but it did always crank up. When we went out the 3rd time it struggled to crank almost to the point of giving up then it started. I turned it off and started it again a few times with no problems at the dock so we headed on out.

I had not tried cranking it again until I was trying to get the YDS software going and it will not start. It turns over great, batteries have stayed on charge so they’re fully charged, but it will not crank. After reading through the forum for possible causes I have came to the rear kill switches. The switch that goes with the motor that isn’t starting does not look or feel right. Im not sure if you can see it in the picture but it does not seem to set as high as the other and they feel completely different when you push them down by hand. I can hold down the port side switch and its motor cranks. I can let off and it dies so it seems to be working properly. The starboard side not so much. So I’m thinking about disconnecting it to see if this is the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this?IMG_1060.jpegIMG_1061.jpeg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
first off those kill everything so if one was bad it would not allow the engine to turn over for obvious reasons they don't want someone hitting the switch with your hand in the impellor the not starting may be a neutral safety switch since that allows the engine to crank but keeps it from firing also could be a lack of fuel try moving the controls slightly forward and backward while cranking the engine and see if it starts up I had one that did this occasionally.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe and could be wrong but those switches have two functions
No crank
No start
That’s why there’s four wires on one switch

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The brown wires need continuity, and the black and white wires cannot have continuity. The brown wires are the start circuit, and the black and white wires kill the spark.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the switches are set up to kill both engines and prevent them from starting if either one is triggered

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the switches are set up to kill both engines and prevent them from starting if either one is triggered
This could very well have been implemented on the newer models, but my 06 SX230 will let the opposing engine start with just one switch held down. I had in mind it would, so I even went out and verified.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The circuits are separate for each ECU, that's why there are 2 switches.

Curiosity...
If you connect the black and white wires from both hatch switches together, both engines will be killed any time either key switch is turned off, and engines won't start if either key is in the off position. Don't do it.

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply’s. My plan is to work on it tomorrow after I finish changing the Catalytic Converter out on my truck. I swear, I’m feeling more like a mechanic every day. Hahahahaha

i reference to some of the posts above, the switches do work independently of one another. I figured that out the other day when I first start tinkering with them. My port engine that is running ok would not turn over until the button was pushed. I could hold down the button and it would run then once I released it, it would quit. Same with the starboard except it will not crank up. It just turns over.

I am REALLY hoping this is what is wrong with it. We are wanting to take it out Monday and I need a little encouragement to keep my spirits up. I honestly don’t mind working on stuff, heck I rather enjoy it but DAMN, one thing after another is getting old LOL

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before cutting wires, swap switches to see if that’s the problem. If the problem follows the switch, you have your answer. If it stays the same, the switches aren’t the issue.

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
took @dgfreeze advice. Followed the wires back and pulled them through the hole in the rear hatch on the starboard side. there are plugs you can disconnect the switches from to keep from cutting the wires. Swapped the switches and the port side motor cranked as it has been and the starboard still will not. At least I know there is nothing wrong with the switch.

i will start a new post to ask for advice on what else I found.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Turn battery switch off. Check continuity between the black and white wires going to the switch. There should be none with the key switch in the On position.