• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendation for Underwater Lights to go Beneath Pier

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are having a new bulkhead, pier and lift installed and the job is almost complete I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for under water lighting for around the new pier. I know these are used to attract fish as well but we are looking purely at aesthetics. We are on the back bays in Ocean City, MD the water is pretty clear in the winter and less clear in the summer and we have fairly deep water (6 ft plus most of the time). I know there are halogen and led types to choose from any input is appreciated.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I went with the halogen bulb type. I almost went with an led but those require cleaning (once a month I believe). I'm too lazy for that. The halogen bulb gets hot which kills off almost of the growth that grows during the day. I've owned them for almost a year and have not touched. The lights are in salt water 100% of the time and I have had no issues with them at all. These things are not cheap but I believe you get what you pay for. I purchased 2 of them. Fish draw is crazy. Each light attracts about 20 fish each (snook). It's crazy. It's like having a fish tank in my backyard. Love it. Good luck!

Boat on Lift.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the recommendation. One of our friends has the same set-up. Our concern is that we are in an unprotected area (open bay) and even on a normal day we can have quite a bit of current and that's nothing compared to when a storm comes through and we have legit waves. I was online last night possibly looking at lights that are mounted out of the water on the underside of the pier and shine down. We don't really care about attracting fish as much as we do lighting the water. I've got to call the company today and see what these lights tolerance is to moisture. Web-site says for above water use only but they will get wet when the water gets rough.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with the halogen bulb type. I almost went with an led but those require cleaning (once a month I believe). I'm too lazy for that. The halogen bulb gets hot which kills off almost of the growth that grows during the day. I've owned them for almost a year and have not touched. The lights are in salt water 100% of the time and I have had no issues with them at all. These things are not cheap but I believe you get what you pay for. I purchased 2 of them. Fish draw is crazy. Each light attracts about 20 fish each (snook). It's crazy. It's like having a fish tank in my backyard. Love it. Good luck!

View attachment 93669 View attachment 93670

Killer setup. Also I tried to go to fishlight.com, and my work filter blocked it as suspicious. Guess it's too similar to another type of light with mostly the same preceding letters, lol.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the recommendation. One of our friends has the same set-up. Our concern is that we are in an unprotected area (open bay) and even on a normal day we can have quite a bit of current and that's nothing compared to when a storm comes through and we have legit waves. I was online last night possibly looking at lights that are mounted out of the water on the underside of the pier and shine down. We don't really care about attracting fish as much as we do lighting the water. I've got to call the company today and see what these lights tolerance is to moisture. Web-site says for above water use only but they will get wet when the water gets rough.
Why not LED rope lighting strung under the dock? You can get it waterproof, it’s simple for the end user to install and replace, oh and it’s CHEAP.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lumitec makes lights that are designed to go on piers. No personal experience with them, but I am very impressed by the quality of their transom lights which I just installed on my boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
These lights come with a weight. If the weight is not heavy enough you can add more weight or anchor (stake, heavy chain tied to a piling, etc.) it in position. If there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Lights above the water mainly reflect off the top of the water. They will not provide anything close to underwater lighting.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
pool lights are dirt cheap and easy to install.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I guess I never did show the final result of what we selected. We went with under dock lighting fixtures that were flat LED boxes at 16000 leumen each (we used 2 one on each side) that we mounted directly to the underside of our pier. They are anywhere from 3-5 feet above the water (depending on the tide) and shine down at a shallow slightly forward angle. The fixtures are mounted to be completely hidden under the pier.

The lights were purchased from Marine LED Lights for Docks, Gigging and Fishing - AlumiGlo and they were $185.00 each.

The white lighting that we used on top of the pier are low voltage LED's that work like landscaping lights with the 12V transformer. All the lights are run off a timer. We couldn't be happier with the results.

Pier.jpg

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Seablaze x2 underwater lights of Lumitec, had these lights installed by my boat dealership. They work as described with white to blue (cross fade option) and are equipped with TTP technology (you can stop the lights at what color and brightness level by simply toggling the switch). These lights are a wonderful accessory for any boat and well worth the money. Lumitec sets the Standards.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I guess I never did show the final result of what we selected. We went with under dock lighting fixtures that were flat LED boxes at 16000 leumen each (we used 2 one on each side) that we mounted directly to the underside of our pier. They are anywhere from 3-5 feet above the water (depending on the tide) and shine down at a shallow slightly forward angle. The fixtures are mounted to be completely hidden under the pier.

The lights were purchased from Marine LED Lights for Docks, Gigging and Fishing - AlumiGlo and they were $185.00 each.

The white lighting that we used on top of the pier are low voltage LED's that work like landscaping lights with the 12V transformer. All the lights are run off a timer. We couldn't be happier with the results.

View attachment 109662
That looks really nice and your picture is on their website. Cool! :thumbsup:

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks really nice and your picture is on their website. Cool! :thumbsup:
We are as happy with the lighting today as we were when we installed it. It has withstood a hurricane and multiple nor'easters with a lot of water up under the prier where the lights are located. No issues so far.