• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing 212 impeller housing advice needed.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So Im 8 years in and to tell the truth I have not been very worried about sucking up sand. Also had an emergency stop/soft landing on a very shallow river, see pic below, which required 5 adults to get us back to floating. No hull damage but Im sure more than water went through the pumps that day. I noticed last summer some lack of bight in the upper rev range when getting on plane with some people on board. So I have ordered new impellers but I dont know what to get for housings. Usually my Yamaha dealer always has my back but they are experiencing the supply chain issues for parts that is crippling the country so Im on my own with this.
Any advice or links would be helpful.

Try these

I need to order new housings and will either go with these or factory Yamaha replacements. The plus with the these is the replaceable plastic liner. I think I heard a Yamaha did this at some point as well, but don’t remember what year.

My Yamaha tech said the plastic liners are way too soft and don't last nearly as long as the metal fixed liners

It depends on who you talk to.

Jeff from CobraJet is a fan, and has mind boggling hours on them.

In reality, if I replace them this season it may be with the parts I can find In-Stock, as opposed to the ones I really want...

My new wear ring is on order it keeps getting back ordered this was needed due to swelling . So I took a 1 1/2 inch round sanding drum found the high spots and sanded them down. Our season is way to short to loose any down time. So I picked up one with a plastic liner just in case it swells more and needs to be replaced. You should pull your pump and check the gap from the impeller I used two 1’‘ wide by 11” pieces of Manila folder as a gauge that we’re .0023 thick to check the tolerance . As far as wearing on the plastic I constantly see jet skis running in very shallow water they probably suck up more sand due to this. check the impeller for any dings or burrs clean up the edges with a dremmel And look at the ride plate use 5200 to fill in any gaps, air leaks in through these gaps causing cavitation

I was not aware of Jeffs experience. I figured just put the stock parts back in and perhaps that will avert any future problem

Check your tolerances before you go full replacement. Pumping sand probably hurt your block more than it hurt your wear ring. How well is the tunnel sealed? Any dings in your impeller blades?

Where were you guys in April? :oops: Its done now and although I didint ask the dealer, Im hoping they checked the plate for gaps. My guy Andy is really a pro and usually wont leave things that could cause and issue unattended.
Good thing I brought it to them and didnt try it myself, they were not able to get one of the impellers off the shaft and the threads got fried. So I had to get a new shaft.

I have same same problem with one of the shafts. The first impeller spun off hard the entire thread length, the second one turned about 1 full turn, then locked and I have not been able to move it since. I have used heat and a 3 foot breaker bar with all my weight on it. Not budging.. I now dinged up the splines a tiny bit and think I will get a whole new shift now.

Back