• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing impellers in yamaha ar210

Smkn'Joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking to changing my impellers over to stainless. Should I be replacing wear rings also? Any tip? Do's & dont's?

Depends if they are worn or not. You need to see what the clearance is now and then measure your old impeller when you pull it out to see how out of spec it is. Maybe a new impeller will bring the gap back to factory specs.

You say change over to stainless, are you doing a pitch change? Are your current impellers not performing? Do you have a certain brand in mind?

I think your boat may have 2 different pitched impellers, you will want to look at the casting numbers. I am not 100% sure on the last one. I think my old AR230 had 2 different pitches.

They are....

Depends if they are worn or not. You need to see what the clearance is now and then measure your old impeller when you pull it out to see how out of spec it is. Maybe a new impeller will bring the gap back to factory specs.

You say change over to stainless, are you doing a pitch change? Are your current impellers not performing? Do you have a certain brand in mind?

I think your boat may have 2 different pitched impellers, you will want to look at the casting numbers. I am not 100% sure on the last one. I think my old AR230 had 2 different pitches.
Yes, I did find some impellers at the following link. They are pre-pitched and yes both have different pitches. I'm the second owner and the impellers are aluminum and were never changed. I live in Wisconsin and the boat has never seen salt water.
It would be nice to have all the parts here before I tackle this. Is there a trick to getting the impeller off shift? Thanks much..

Impeller Sale & JetSki Parts

the oem impellers are stainless. i have never seen an aluminum impeller for a jetboat. factory ones and aftermarket are all stainless.

Oh. Ok. I am new to jet boating :thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

Yes, I did find some impellers at the following link. They are pre-pitched and yes both have different pitches. I'm the second owner and the impellers are aluminum and were never changed. I live in Wisconsin and the boat has never seen salt water.
It would be nice to have all the parts here before I tackle this. Is there a trick to getting the impeller off shift? Thanks much..

Impeller Sale & JetSki Parts

I'll try to find picture but imagine this.

You will need spline tool for DS and 1/2 socket and ratchet under car tire.

Duct housing and impeller are sitting sideways propped up with wooden block. With pipe wrench and 6' steel tube remove impeller counter clockise.
Works like a charm.

unless your having cavitation issues, there is impeller damage, i mpeller is worn or your having some type of other performance issue then there is no need to change the impellers. you wont gain any speed with an aftermarket impeller. they usually cavitate less though since they are progressive pitch so you will get better performance out of the hole.

I'll try to find picture but imagine this.

You will need spline tool for DS and 1/2 socket and ratchet under car tire.

Duct housing and impeller are sitting sideways propped up with wooden block. With pipe wrench and 6' steel tube remove impeller counter clockise.
Works like a charm.
Oh boy! Lol! Impact gun won't do the trick? 0

not even close lol. your gonna need the 6' cheater pipe mentioned above then you can jump on the end of it until the impeller breaks free.

Ok. Gotcha!
What about the wear rings? Do you suggest replacing those also?

Only if the clearance between the impeller and housing is out of spec. If its in spec then no need.

Yes, left handed threads. I've been doing some research. Thanks tho

Might have to give them some heat

I now know that factory impellers are stainless steel but are the wear rings stainless steel or aluminum?

Aluminum housing, stainless steel liner. No sense replacing unless there's a problem. I just bought new impellers from impellers.com and installed them. Basically the same impellers, but for my 06 SX230. My old ones were also the same impellers, I'll get them refurbished sometime later this year or over the winter. You're going to need the splined tool to hold the shaft. If your current impellers are factory, they should have wrench flats built in, but the Solas impellers you posted a link for require a tool, which comes with the new impellers. I ended up with three of them. Lol, I ordered the tool, but got impatient, and made one, which I used to remove my old impellers, then I got the tool I ordered, and when I got the new impellers, they came with a tool. Would've been nice to know, but I didn't see it listed in the description anywhere. Anyway, it seems some impellers come off very hard, and others don't. Mine weren't bad. I don't think it took more than 100-120 ft/lbs of force for mine to break loose. If you have a tabletop vise, that's your best bet. Get permatex 51813 to reseal the pump housing to the housing, and some blue loctite for the bolts. Also, as noted, the starboard and port do have different pitches, so don't get them switched.

WOW! THANKS for all the advice! Do you see much of a difference in hole shot or top end speed by changing the impellers out?

Back