• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing SX230 Stern Light with Innovative Lighting 512-1220-7 LED Plug-In Mount Stern Light

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We end most of our lake outings by watching the sunset then boating back admiring the stars. So a functional stern light is really important to us. We had been happy with the factory stern light for almost four years with three exceptions; it takes up too much space, is hard to remove from the socket and it was a hassle to access the ski locker to the get the pole when the boat was full.

On our last outing we discovered that the electrical connectors in our stern light had disappeared and one was likely stuck in the pole. Years ago I had admired Innovative Lighting's self extending and retracting light. Unfortunately it was discontinued and the manual version would not fit due to the 16 gallon shower tank that I have installed under the light socket. So I decided to try their telescoping socketed light. The pole retracts to around 2' and extends to 6'. The factory pole was 5' so we will likely extend the pole to that length but an extra foot is not a bad thing.

This is the marketing photo for the light, it is retracted in this picture.

11jNvCKG-lL.jpg

The factory light base hole is round. For some terrible reason Innovative Lighting decided it would be good to add key sections to their base so I had to route out the round hole to make it fit.

IMG_5528.jpg

This is the socket open

IMG_5532.jpg

It came with a nice rubber seal with a plug built in

IMG_5534.jpg

This is how it looks installed

IMG_5538.jpg

When collapsed it is so much shorter than the factory pole

IMG_5544.jpg

Extended it is longer than the factory pole

IMG_5547.jpg

The light came with two mounting brackets which made it easy to mount the pole in this easily accessible location. They did not provide screws so I found 4 stainless screws that were left over from another project.

IMG_5553.jpg

This is their closeup shot of the mounting system. It uses a spring loaded twist lock which is much easer than the factory system.

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 2.05.06 PM.png

So far I really happy with it.

Pros
  • Easy install and remove
  • Easy to store
  • Stainless steel construction
  • Improved twist lock mount
  • LED light source

Cons
  • Need to cut key slots
  • Smaller diameter pole which is less rigid
  • $80 cost

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree the full-length pole light stashed deep in a storage compartment is a pain to get at when you need it the most.

But just FYI, Attwood and SeaSense both make telescoping LED sternlights that fit our existing stern light sockets. No modification is necessary with them and they are about half the price of the Innovative Lighting.

However, I've never been a big fan of the OEM mount with plastic jam-bushing (why didn't they make that threaded????). That Innovative Lighting mount does look much better.

SA Abbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We end most of our lake outings by watching the sunset then boating back admiring the stars. So a functional stern light is really important to us. We had been happy with the factory stern light for almost four years with three exceptions; it takes up too much space, is hard to remove from the socket and it was a hassle to access the ski locker to the get the pole when the boat was full.

On our last outing we discovered that the electrical connectors in our stern light had disappeared and one was likely stuck in the pole. Years ago I had admired Innovative Lighting's self extending and retracting light. Unfortunately it was discontinued and the manual version would not fit due to the 16 gallon shower tank that I have installed under the light socket. So I decided to try their telescoping socketed light. The pole retracts to around 2' and extends to 6'. The factory pole was 5' so we will likely extend the pole to that length but an extra foot is not a bad thing.

This is the marketing photo for the light, it is retracted in this picture.

View attachment 44221

The factory light base hole is round. For some terrible reason Innovative Lighting decided it would be good to add key sections to their base so I had to route out the round hole to make it fit.

View attachment 44222

This is the socket open

View attachment 44223

It came with a nice rubber seal with a plug built in

View attachment 44224

This is how it looks installed

View attachment 44225

When collapsed it is so much shorter than the factory pole

View attachment 44226

Extended it is longer than the factory pole

View attachment 44227

The light came with two mounting brackets which made it easy to mount the pole in this easily accessible location. They did not provide screws so I found 4 stainless screws that were left over from another project.

View attachment 44228

This is their closeup shot of the mounting system. It uses a spring loaded twist lock which is much easer than the factory system.

View attachment 44229

So far I really happy with it.

Pros
  • Easy install and remove
  • Easy to store
  • Stainless steel construction
  • Improved twist lock mount
  • LED light source

Cons
  • Need to cut key slots
  • Smaller diameter pole which is less rigid
  • $80 cost
Hey - I have a AR230 2008 - are you happy with this replacement stern light? I need to change mine. Can you share the link to the product? Thanks, Stanley

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey - I have a AR230 2008 - are you happy with this replacement stern light? I need to change mine. Can you share the link to the product? Thanks, Stanley
This summer, the fifth summer of usage the light failed. I found a corroded circuit board in the light shaft. I believe that board contained a buck converter to raise or lower the voltage. I removed it from the circuit and used the light for the rest of the summer. I am uncertain if the light is as bright as it should be. The manufacturer did not respond to my email asking about the voltage. I may experiment with using a buck converter to increase the voltage to increase brightness.

The product was not adequately sealed. I would not pay the premium price for it again.