• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse throttles not synced

By this - you mean where the cables connect at the APSs, correct? (inside the engine bay, on the side/bulkheads)

--
I don't have those so totally forgot you guys have those things. Do they only control throttle?

The throttle cables go to the aps (a potentiometer) which in turn outputs a voltage to ecm to act upon. It is completely uderstandable given the design of the binicles why things may be synced in fowards and a little off in reverse. I find with idle reverse power or high reverse power the rpm are well synced. It is in the low mid off idle range that I see things out of sync a bit with port at 1.8k and starbaord at 2.4k as an example with the binnicles even. When I split them to sync in this range it does not take much at all so it must have something to do the non-linear nature of the system.

When I split them to sync in this range it does not take much at all so it must have something to do the non-linear nature of the system.
Absolutely!
That's one of the main reasons I like the @Ridesteady system as a throttle synch so much, as it is electronic !
And - it can tolerate and electronically adjust even fairly significant binnacle splits.
It is crazy good for synchronized engine cruising, basically like a "single throttle" mode, only better with the knob.

BUT - I digressed here! I still want to know if the APS cable linkages are the places to make adjustments to throttle cables - to adjust binnacles' travel and engines' synch.

--

(oh, and yes, I did mean @Speedling , not @swatski . Sorry about that. But they are both great...)

I was in the boat working last night and snapped a quick picture to show you guys. This is where the throttles sit in reverse when each engine's APS first starts to move off of idle.

Attachments

• throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 13
So, the throttles are someone clunky on the inside, and in addition there is a plastic guide holding that grooved plate that moves up and down. Maybe that plastic piece is worn/missing and causing this for you, or maybe it's just the clunkiness of it. I replaced my throttle levers with a Gaffrig to gain more control, as I was coming from a smaller cheaper boat, and I felt I would not downgrade here when upgrading the boat! Maybe the levers operate fine on outboards with smaller RPM range, but to go from 1.5k to 10k in my SX230 it takes the lever from 45 degrees to 80 degrees...that's not a lot of travel so it was hard to dial the exact RPM you needed. Hence I switched it out.

Are those levers pretty even going forward? If so I would investigate (or have the dealer investigate) the inside of those levers to make sure all pieces are in there. For the lever that needs more travel in reverse, does it feel more loose or clunky than the other??? It would be noticeable if this piece is missing by feel, I think.

They feel pretty much the same in forward. In reverse, it feels like it takes longer for the left throttle to hit the detent before moving the actual cable but it could be my imagination.

That could be the plastic guide piece missing on the reverse side only. Does the lever feel "looser" than the other at all? If you put your hand on it and shake it?

I'll see if i can record a video with mine to show you what I mean.

Better late than never. Here's the video. If one of the black tabs on the cover was broken, it may cause what you saw.

I don't know that I would look on there with warranty still good and winter so near... In your favor I think you can reach this point with the cables still attached.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Back