• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

RGB LED Wiring Gauge, Connections and Controller

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 6 kicker 8's that I ran 14 awg cable for audio. 3 on each side of my AR210. Now for the RGB lights, I have a few questions:

1. What gauge wire would you recommend? I would think 18 awg would be sufficient.
    1. Was thinking I could just jump from one speaker to the next on one side (3 speakers) and do the same on the other side while having it all come together at the battery. Or I could do a home run for each speaker.
  2. For connections, I was thinking waterproof wire nuts like the ones below. There would be 4 at each speaker then 4 more at the battery to tie both sides together along with the controller, then controller to switch/fuse before battery.
    1. For the switch, what are the thoughts on running the RGB controller to the courtesy light factory switch?
    2. DryConn Medium Waterproof Wire Connectors, Aqua/Red (20-Pack) 62214
  3. If I do homeruns, I can use this connector below. I could also use it at the first speaker, wire nuts at the additional speakers and one of these at the controller.
    1. https://tinyurl.com/LED-Connectors
  4. Instead of using the Kicker RGB controller, would it be possible to tie into something like the item below and run the speakers and ambient lights off one controller?
    1. AURA Pro Boat Interior LED Lighting Kit with Bluetooth enabled
  5. Finally, Instead of buying the opt-7 extension cables, I would think it would be okay to just cut them and splice in whatever recommended AWG cable to keep the connections on each end, correct? I could use the amazon LED connectors above for the splice/connection.

For those that have the Opt-7 kit, do you prefer the controller or the Bluetooth/phone app option? Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited:

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used 18 gauge for my kicker speaker LED's and no issues, the current they use is so low you will be fine. I have the connectors in your 2nd link and I really don't like them. I had to solder the wires to get them to hold but they pins come lose when connecting and have to go back and push the pins in from the back side with a screwdriver. Im upgrading to these first chance I get. They are the same connectors Yamaha uses. https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Motorcycle/dp/B08CVFRT5G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3UY2QGDC5369V&keywords=dt+connector+4&qid=1647277921&s=automotive&sprefix=dt+connector+4,automotive,80&sr=1-4

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I concur, LED lighting is low current and 18awg would be plenty - daisy-chain the connections. I also agree that twist connections are a no-no in a moving vehicle/boat - vibrations will loosen them. Crimp and/or solder.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used 18 gauge for my kicker speaker LED's and no issues, the current they use is so low you will be fine. I have the connectors in your 2nd link and I really don't like them. I had to solder the wires to get them to hold but they pins come lose when connecting and have to go back and push the pins in from the back side with a screwdriver. Im upgrading to these first chance I get. They are the same connectors Yamaha uses. https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Motorcycle/dp/B08CVFRT5G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3UY2QGDC5369V&keywords=dt+connector+4&qid=1647277921&s=automotive&sprefix=dt+connector+4,automotive,80&sr=1-4
Nice, I believe those are deutsch connectors. Thanks for the link.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you have them I would use them, but otherwise stay away from the self-solder and use regular heat shrink butt-connectors.

20 gauge is fine, that is what is used in the spools:

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure, that looks like it would work. As long as the finished connection is solid and won't vibrate apart, you're good to go.
If you have them I would use them, but otherwise stay away from the self-solder and use regular heat shrink butt-connectors.

20 gauge is fine, that is what is used in the spools:

Thanks fellas! Always love to get advice from you 2. Always very helpful.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought an LED controller that came with some strips and want to use them along with the speaker LED's. With that said, I'm planning to daisy chain them all around the boat. Once I have everything ran to the helm and to the control box, getting power to it is the next step.

With that said, wouldn't it be possible to just tap into the factory courtesy light switch? First pic is what came with the LED controller. I would think just take the black cable in the middle and run + and - to the courtesy lights. Thoughts?

Also, the fuse taps are 10 amp. Would I need to do anything to the "Main" fuse (pic 2) that is currently 20 amps?

Finally, in pics 3 and 4 are two fuse holders at the helm that have blank fuses in them. Not sure what these are for, but thought y'all might know?

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
With that said, wouldn't it be possible to just tap into the factory courtesy light switch? First pic is what came with the LED controller. I would think just take the black cable in the middle and run + and - to the courtesy lights. Thoughts?
LED's are very low current so it shouldn't be an issue to tap into the courtesy lights.
Also, the fuse taps are 10 amp. Would I need to do anything to the "Main" fuse (pic 2) that is currently 20 amps?
No don't change it, that 20 amp fuse is there to protect the stock wiring in the boat. I doubt the LED's would draw enough to pop it.
Finally, in pics 3 and 4 are two fuse holders at the helm that have blank fuses in them. Not sure what these are for, but thought y'all might know?
Take pics of the tags on the wires and post - someone may recognize it. They're unused wiring connections for other 21' models as many of the wiring harnesses are the same but different models have different options.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LED's are very low current so it shouldn't be an issue to tap into the courtesy lights.

No don't change it, that 20 amp fuse is there to protect the stock wiring in the boat. I doubt the LED's would draw enough to pop it.

Take pics of the tags on the wires and post - someone may recognize it. They're unused wiring connections for other 21' models as many of the wiring harnesses are the same but different models have different options.
Thanks! I think they say RES 2 and RES 3. Was thinking I could use the fuse taps that came with the LED controller to put into of these for power and run to my own switch.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks! I think they say RES 2 and RES 3. Was thinking I could use the fuse taps that came with the LED controller to put into of these for power and run to my own switch.
If they have 12v + then sure. Do you have a DVM or tool to check for 12v power?
Also check for power when the engine switch is off - it might be a switched circuit and you lose power when you're floating.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they have 12v + then sure. Do you have a DVM or tool to check for 12v power?
Also check for power when the engine switch is off - it might be a switched circuit and you lose power when you're floating.
Good call. I do have a meter I can check it with. Have all the battery stuff pulled out right now to do the dual battery setup. I'll be sure to check it when I get everything with the batteries re-installed. Thanks!

BleacherBum16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any luck with wiring the Opt7 lights to the courtesy switch? I am looking to do the same on my 2021 AR210. The courtesy light switch seems to have four terminals on the back. I tried using a piggy back connector to power the Opt7 lights and the lights have power full time. Not necessarily when the courtesy light switch is on or off...... all the time. I obviously connected it wrong, just curious to see what you did. Thanks!

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any luck with wiring the Opt7 lights to the courtesy switch? I am looking to do the same on my 2021 AR210. The courtesy light switch seems to have four terminals on the back. I tried using a piggy back connector to power the Opt7 lights and the lights have power full time. Not necessarily when the courtesy light switch is on or off...... all the time. I obviously connected it wrong, just curious to see what you did. Thanks!
I was able to use the courtesy switch. You'll need to tap into the blue wire in the back to use the courtesy switch to power the LED's.

Scarabscott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length