• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ribbon delete on 1800 N A wave runners.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so I was doing a bunch of maintenance on my fx ho cruisers, pumps ,intermediate bearings and other maintenance for 600 + hours .
I decided to design my own ribbon delete setup to see if it made that big of a difference .
I did this in the past with a 1800 supercharged ski and I did not really see any huge or noticeable improvement so I never bothered to do it to these non supercharged engines but with close to 650 hours on them I thought it would be worth a try as the original filters were still in the air boxes.
I custom built some and installed them in my air boxes in place of the original filters .
First time out I noticed a huge difference in mid range acceleration Even with a passenger it was very noticeable, bottom end hole shot didn't really feel much different .
So I was quite impressed with a better top end and really quick and strong mid range acceleration.
The confusing part is everything I heard was saying that the fuel consumption would go up but in my case it went way down.
I rode today for 3 hours averaging 40 mph and I only used 6.5 gallons of fuel That really is a lot less than usual I would have normally used twice that fuel or more and I went to the same places and drove the same way I always do.
Actually the wind was strong and the water was rough. Just wondering if others noticed more or less fuel consumption and if the mid range to top end was improved when they did the ribbon delete to their N A 1800 engines. It may be totally different in a boat. I have similar results from both of my skies, the original air cleaners did not really look dirty either.
As for the pumps I only took them apart and inspected the grease for water etc. so I put them back together.
I did installed new wear rings but the ones in the pumps were only a few months old and were in good shape, I use the plastic liner setups so those are very inexpensive and I just replace them when I remove the pumps need it or not.
The impellers are the original ones so I don't think any of the improvements were related to the pumps or I would have noticed it the last time I did those . The new intermediate bearings would not have any effect on this as the ones I removed were fine I just did not trust them after 600 hours so it was just an ounce of prevention so to speak. In any event I just wondered about any similar results someone may have had doing this.

Last edited:
Back