• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Risotto with Saute Scallops

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my favorite meals is Risotto. It is so versatile in that it goes with anything. You can mix ingredients directly in it like asparagus, squash, chicken fish etc.. In this case I decided to sauté fresh sea scallops with smoked bourbon salt and pepper and place them on the risotto rather then mixed in. I think it makes for a much nicer presentation. [flag]

74A552EB-91FC-4A84-A4BB-882E69B9C958_1_201_a.jpeg

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The presentation looks delicious! You definitely have a knack for cooking. Keep the food posts coming. I'll try to keep up with you. I decided to smoke some ribs, mac & cheese with a side of cornbread.IMG_20190518_193827753-1.jpg

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I decided to smoke some ribs, mac & cheese with a side of cornbread.
The smoke ring on the ribs looks fantastic. Please tell me the method you used. I enjoy making cornbread and I normally mix everything in mine but the kitchen think.

As to cooking it self I find it very relaxing. I put my music on random, play it loud and have a good glass of wine or two. and as the song goes "no worry be happy" [flag]

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So for the ribs, fairly simple, just a dry rub, I use Alton Browns rub number nine. I remove the silver skin off the back of the ribs, rub them with the rub, wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I do this the night before I'm going to smoke them. So after wrapping, in the fridge over night. I have a Traeger pellet smoker, I use each apple or hickory wood, smoke at 225 for 4 to 5 hours. I like my ribs with a little pull from the bones, not a big fall off the don guy. Sauce is optional. Use your favorite.

I agree on the corn bread, the more stuff, jalapeno, corn, cheddar cheese, in it, the better. I do bake it in the cast iron skillet on the smoker too, 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Hope that inspires you, as your last 2 food posts (duck / scallops) have inspired me.

I used to be an aspiring chef, ran 3 or 4 restaurants in my younger days. But I burned out, and now just cook for friends and family!

Here's a little extra , smoked buffalo wings.IMG_20200808_092425276_HDR.jpgIMG_20200808_094223409.jpg

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You're not alone in this, brother. My youngest daughter loves painting my toenails for some reason and I don't mind letting her. I'm at that age where her happiness is more precious to me than any threat to my masculinity could ever be.
So for the ribs, fairly simple, just a dry rub, I use Alton Browns rub number nine. I remove the silver skin off the back of the ribs, rub them with the rub, wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I do this the night before I'm going to smoke them. So after wrapping, in the fridge over night. I have a Traeger pellet smoker, I use each apple or hickory wood, smoke at 225 for 4 to 5 hours. I like my ribs with a little pull from the bones, not a big fall off the don guy. Sauce is optional. Use your favorite.

I agree on the corn bread, the more stuff, jalapeno, corn, cheddar cheese, in it, the better. I do bake it in the cast iron skillet on the smoker too, 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Hope that inspires you, as your last 2 food posts (duck / scallops) have inspired me.

I used to be an aspiring chef, ran 3 or 4 restaurants in my younger days. But I burned out, and now just cook for friends and family!

Here's a little extra , smoked buffalo wings.View attachment 135453View attachment 135454
The wings look delicious and thank you the method you used for the ribs. Although I have never run a restaurant my son has and like you he also got burnt out and is now special education teacher. Like you I only cook for family and friends as they seldom ever complain about my meals as they are free.
I also enjoy BBQing. My favorites are Boston Butts, ribs chicken and occasional brisket. I make my own rubs a quite frequently will mix various leftover rubs together just for the heck of it. Keep on cooking and posting🇱🇷

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hell yes, boat friends are always welcome! I grill on the boat too, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of those meals.
Next season there will be many pictures taken!

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wings look delicious and thank you the method you used for the ribs. Although I have never run a restaurant my son has and like you he also got burnt out and is now special education teacher. Like you I only cook for family and friends as they seldom ever complain about my meals as they are free.
I also enjoy BBQing. My favorites are Boston Butts, ribs chicken and occasional brisket. I make my own rubs a quite frequently will mix various leftover rubs together just for the heck of it. Keep on cooking and posting🇱🇷
I, like your son no longer make a living in the food industry. I am now a controls engineer. Mostly do work in the aerospace industry!
Please thank and give your son kudos for his chosen line of work, it is an under appreciated profession.
I will definitely keep the food posts coming!