• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Riva intake upgrade

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Stock initially but then I replaced them with the R&D antibackfire ones. I used those mainly because they are nonrestrictive and they fit into the stock air filter waterproof boxes.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Stock initially but then I replaced them with the R&D antibackfire ones. I used those mainly because they are nonrestrictive and they fit into the stock air filter waterproof boxes.
Can I ask what these cost and where you purchased them ?
Many thanks, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hope I'll never need to leverage my warranty :)!

But yeah, that would be sucky if Yamaha declined fixing something because of some performance enhancements.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would just keep the stock parts on hand in case a warranty claim ever comes up. Not an issue for me as my Yamaha and extended third party warranty have expired.

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Installing aftermarket or used equipment does NOT void your warranty under federal law. This law is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ( http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance ). This link is for cars but the law applies to all vehicles including boats. It basically puts the burden on the manufacturer to prove the aftermarket part is the cause of the failure of their part. It does not apply to service or to the aftermarket part.
So mod away to your hearts (or bank accounts) content! :winkingthumbsup"

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have to see some documented and reliable testing to believe 3 MPH increase all else being equal. Water/wind/load would be a bigger factor.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced all of the flame arrestor ribbons in the sx230 ho I used to own (four per engine). I don't recall any noticeable difference in rpm or top speed. These R&d or riva intake modifications make sense too me in theory but based on experience I won't be disappointed of they turn out to be snake oil like the units I installed on the sx230.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I would have to see some documented and reliable testing to believe 3 MPH increase all else being equal. Water/wind/load would be a bigger factor.
Increase in Mph is hard to determine, fur th the elements you my mentioned. But increase in rpm isn't effected by water/wind/load, and with increased rpm comesincreased mph.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry for starting up an old thread. I am wondering if these work on the 2017 242? Been trying to find info but not much out there.
Thanks

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
You do not need to purchase these parts. Simply remove the flame arrestor and surrounding gasket. Add a flame arrestor air filter if you feel the need. Good for 200 rpms and better throttle response.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My opinion on this is that if you boat at or near sea level removing the stock ribbon and / or installing the throttle body spacers (the r&d versions are called manifold upgrades I think) will not improve top speed or rpms because the engines are already running to their limits as defined and controlled by the ecus. That is these engines are governed / rev limited.

That stated you may be able to reprogram your ecus to improve performance but doing so is not inexpensive. Alternatively if you want to improve acceleration or top speed regardless of the altitude you boat at go with custom pitched impellers but realize that theoretically you cannot improve acceleration without reducing top speed and vice versa.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My opinion on this is that if you boat at or near sea level removing the stock ribbon and / or installing the throttle body spacers (the r&d versions are called manifold upgrades I think) will not improve top speed or rpms because the engines are already running to their limits as defined and controlled by the ecus. That is these engines are governed / rev limited.

That stated you may be able to reprogram your ecus to improve performance but doing so is not inexpensive. Alternatively if you want to improve acceleration or top speed regardless of the altitude you boat at go with custom pitched impellers but realize that theoretically you cannot improve acceleration without reducing top speed and vice versa.
I never paid exact attention to RPM's, but I can promise you at sea level, my wifes ski gained 2-3mph with a ribbon delete. I don't have GPS on hers, but the dreamometer would always top out at 66/67 before, and now hits 69/70. Mine is a carb ski, and always topped out at 62/63 (on the dreamometer for comparisons sake - 58/59ish gps), and I haven't been able to remove the throttle body to delete my flame arrestor as the nutsert in the intake manifold just spins. I've done extensive testing on both (and just broke 50 hours on each), so I'm pretty confident in these results. And it is somewhat surprising, as my opinion beforehand matched yours.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. I first did the ribbon delete on my sx230ho engines and didn't see any change, the boat still reved to 10,200 rpm and topped out at 50/51. Same with 160 hp and 140 hp waverunners. By the way on these older engines there are four flame arrestors to replace with "velocity stacks". Here is a link to my thread on it with pics.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=40592&hilit=+Flame+arrestor

I expected and got the same results in the 242 but had the upgrade bug so decided to do it anyway. At least it was consistently cheap ($50 per engine) but being 0 for 4 on this "upgrade" If given the chance again I would just install cleanable/reusable aftermarket air filters and pull the flame arrestors but would pass on the sleeves and /or stacks entirely.

Now to another possible intake upgrade, has anyone found an aftermarket intake grate for the boats with the 1.8l engines?

I'd like to upgrade to grates with top loaders (which Supposedly load the pump with water more efficiently) or grates with more tines (to better block debris from entering the intake-pump) if such upgrades exist and would not be surprised if the were priced at $150+ each since that's about what a new one would cost for a pwc.

Last edited: