• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rough / Racing engine

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi all,

2010 Speedster 150, just put it in the water for the first time this season. 45 hours on the clock.

The engine is running rough, at idle it sounds kind of like a motorcycle if that makes sense, and underway it's constantly racing/revving. The RPMs are bouncing around quite a bit. I can buzz around, get up on plane, and it starts reliably and quickly. But the power delivery is very uneven and fluctuating. It'll be at 4000, race up to 5300 (with the associated boost in power) and then back to 4000.

Last use was probably last August, and it was winterized in late November, stored full of fuel (stabilized). I also just replaced the battery with an Optima BlueTop D34M.

Could this be fuel that's gone bad? Too little or too much stabilizer?

Could it be the new battery?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Nothing like Day 1 issues during a week of vacation in remote Maine, miles from anywhere. Ugh.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
-- Josh

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know anything about the speedster but can you try a new fuel filter and new plugs? It sounds like you might not have access to much with where you are.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks 4x15mph. I don't have spares on hand, but I'll add those to the list of things to look into.

There are some pretty sizable lakes around so there may actually be a seadoo place nearby. I'm having to hold my phone at a funny angle to get my one dot of 3G cell service, so until I can contact a seadoo service place, I may just burn some fuel in the boat and then mix in some fresh stuff to see if it improves.

I appreciate the ideas!

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just wanted to close-out this thread. It seems to be fuel related. I bought a bottle of fuel additive (Phaze-Out) at NAPA auto parts, and after running around for a while to burn off some fuel, it seems to be running much more smoothly.

I'll burn off the old fuel, pour some fresh stuff in, maybe with some sea-foam, and I think it'll be all set.

Seems like someone forgot the Stabil last fall. Guess maybe I should add some myself this fall even though it's part of the winterization service I pay for.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you got it figured out @Aces_Over_Kings Dont feel bad though. I used stabil over the winter and somehow my fuel went bad too. I ended up having to drain the tank. So sounds like you caught it just in time ;)