• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ruling on Deflategate...

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't get me wrong, I believe some sort of punishment is In order. I'm not sure the punishment is just based on the facts and data retrieved.

Here is what bothers me. The NFL is as responsible as the players to maintain the integrity of the game. With that said why are the officials not checking/measuring the balls after the teams turn them in? If they were then this could be avoided before the ball even reaches the field. It sure seems like the NFL is not performing that duty, and they probably will be going forward.

So, going forward, if they do check balls before they reach the field, and a team turns in balls under the regulated pressure, should we then expect the same punishment?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Primer on how to play with your balls:

Each team supplies its own footballs for use during the game. 12 from each team are delivered by team personnel into the official's locker room, where they are to be pressured checked by the head linesman and side judge, which is a real pain in the ass. The 6 kick balls are provided by the league but were checked back at the hotel upon delivery. Each team plays with its own balls (Now that's funny!) After being pressure checked, the ball bags are taken to the field and provided to the 4 ball boys, two on each side of the field. One ball boy carries 2 home balls and one visitor ball and vice versa other side of field, and the other carries three kick balls for use solely on kick plays. The balls are changed every play, unless in a "hurry up" situation. If the game ball boys are only carrying 3 balls, where are the others "stored" while awaiting use? Interesting question, especially since the ball boys must shadow the linesman on every play, in order to get the next ball into play.

Look at the ball boy shadow.
d1.JPG

Where is the shadow?

d2.jpg

Official # 30 is about to retrieve the ball from the player and spot it, while the incoming official is about to catch an incoming ball from the Shadow, to relay to the umpire for spotting on the next play.

d3.JPG

We see the Shadow? Where are the other balls?

d4.JPG

There's our K ball boy on the right, not too much to do.....

k ball.jpg

Carrot Top has a side job as a ball boy.

d5.jpg

Carrot Top wants to be out of the picture here....

d7.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................
I 'jes love Brady's compassion fer others !
Tom Brady - X2.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. The investigation uncovered that the colts had balls also under inflated. Hmm, that's kinda important, isn't it?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Other people cheat too so it's not a big deal?? Really? Lets cut all the cheating crap or lets just abolish the rules.

And the fact that he played worse with the deflated balls is irrelevant ...he knowingly broke the rules, just because it didn't work for him doesn't make it ok.

Yeah they would have won anyway which in hindsight makes it even stupider that they broke the rules. Too bad they weren't confident and just gave out a good old fashioned ass whoopin....they could have but nope, tainted by cheating.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm wonder what effect this might have has a week earlier in freezing weather when they squeaked by the Ravens by 4 points?

menmiss

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If he didn't lie about it, there would be no issue... He got suspended for covering it up and making the league conduct an investigation.... I think the penalty could have been a little harsher.... Just for the fact that they won the super bowl... They won the big game even though they were caught cheating to make it there.... If Brady was suspended for 10 games, I think it would have been justified.... Then the team would have had to come together and work hard to make it to the playoffs again, but it wouldn't have totally removed them from playoff contention, then Brady could truly show his worth.... When I was raised, I was always taught cheaters never win..... Not the case anymore.....
I'm confused... You want a harsher penalty because they won the Super Bowl? They destroyed the colts by 38 points. Air pressure didn't decide the game. The patriots were the best team and all the patriot haters (like you) are showing up to take a shot. How about when teams cut a player and he gets picked up in the division so they can fleece information about the playbook etc.... Is that an issue? How about all the PED's with Seattle . Did they cheat because many of their players are on the juice?

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Deflatgate-X1.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Eli - X2 - sm.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ELI - Nu - X1.jpg

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm OK with the penalties on the team. Someone on the team did it. I'm still waiting on 1 bit of evidence that Brady was involved. Until then, any punishment for Brady is ridiculous.

I actually think Brady did it, but we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty.

I also think the entire thing is blown out of proportion.... What is the reason why 12.5 PSI is the required number? If each team gets to supply their own balls, and are allowed to do any preconditioning on them they want, why is there a specified pressure? I think the outcome of this scandal should be for the NFL to remove the rule altogether. Kinda like when I was 18 and kept getting home after curfew. My parents removed the curfew since I was 18 and there was no reason why I should have a curfew anymore.

-Steve (Bears fan)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please Note:

1) Mikey Lulejian has been given a "Lifetime Pass" from the entire conversation,

and subsequently

2) IS ALLOWED to post whatever phunny 'toons he desires as he is ..............

<Drum Roll, please>

An Atlanta Falcons fan.

Back to our discussion after this momentous commercial ...............
That's all folkm - sm.jpg

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm OK with the penalties on the team. Someone on the team did it. I'm still waiting on 1 bit of evidence that Brady was involved. Until then, any punishment for Brady is ridiculous.

I actually think Brady did it, but we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty.

I also think the entire thing is blown out of proportion.... What is the reason why 12.5 PSI is the required number? If each team gets to supply their own balls, and are allowed to do any preconditioning on them they want, why is there a specified pressure? I think the outcome of this scandal should be for the NFL to remove the rule altogether. Kinda like when I was 18 and kept getting home after curfew. My parents removed the curfew since I was 18 and there was no reason why I should have a curfew anymore.

-Steve (Bears fan)
This isn't a trail with reasonable doubt...it's a private business. His contract that he signed has all of his rights for which both parties agreed. If anyone was a position to know the balls were deflated it was him. There is a preponderance of evidence that he knew. Any reasonable person would come to that conclusion.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This isn't a trail with reasonable doubt...it's a private business. His contract that he signed has all of his rights for which both parties agreed. If anyone was a position to know the balls were deflated it was him. There is a preponderance of evidence that he knew. Any reasonable person would come to that conclusion.
Per the NFL's policy, the standard of proof is "Preponderance of the Evidence." However, we have yet to be shown any evidence that Brady was involved, let alone a preponderance of it. We can all assume that he was involved (and I include myself here), but until there is evidence, Brady's punishment is irrational and not in compliance with NFL policy.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Per the NFL's policy, the standard of proof is "Preponderance of the Evidence." However, we have yet to be shown any evidence that Brady was involved, let alone a preponderance of it. We can all assume that he was involved (and I include myself here), but until there is evidence, Brady's punishment is irrational and not in compliance with NFL policy.
And the Pats didn't spy on people either....

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
......and Brady is "guilty" of deflating footballs because the Pats (not Brady) were caught spying on the opposing sideline several years ago.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Serious question...... Do you think a deflated ball is better for the center to snap? Maybe everyone is looking at the wrong guy?