• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rust stains on Gelcoat gone in about 10 seconds

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

And for those black streaks.

These work well also. FSR is what we used to clean up the sailboat. You may need to paint the springs.

Aloha @zipper mahalo nui for the info and yes I will be painting the springs under the seat. Gotta stop the cause right👍🏽. U know how everything rusts out here. Ugh!🤙🏽

Ku Kia’i Mauna

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes yes @Dixie Highway I’m going to remove the seats and sand down the springs and spray them with some paint. Don’t know what kind yet but some type of rust resistant paint. I’ve been holding off the SeaDek install cause don’t want that to get stained either. Then clean and remove rust stains on the deck gel coat, install Seadek and chairs. Well that’s the plan...🤙🏽
@rkim808 You may want to consider using a spray can of rust reformer. It converts rust into a paintable surface. You only need to remove loose or flaking rust as the reformer needs a base coat of rust to combine with. I bought it at Home Depot (not sure if you have that on the island) and it only came in black.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkim808 You may want to consider using a spray can of rust reformer. It converts rust into a paintable surface. You only need to remove loose or flaking rust as the reformer needs a base coat of rust to combine with. I bought it at Home Depot (not sure if you have that on the island) and it only came in black.
Aloha @Gym that’s the brand Rust Reformer? I’m going to Home Depot today hopefully our out here carries it.

Mahalo nui🤙🏽

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just chiming in. Swatski is right. Oxalic acid is the trick. Toilet bowl cleaner, Starbrite Hull Cleaner, Barkeepers....all active ingredient Oxalic acid. The bulk bag has lasted me 12 seasons as I have to clean lake scum and stains ever so often. Mix 1-2 cups of the bulk oxalic acid with warm water in pump sprayer, put some dishwasher soap for surfactant, spray on, let sit 15 minutes and rinse off. Stains gone. As with anything gloves and eye protection needed. BTW....Oxalic acid also main ingredient for deck wash.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aloha @Gym that’s the brand Rust Reformer? I’m going to Home Depot today hopefully our out here carries it.

Mahalo nui🤙🏽
Rest Reformer is the name on the label. Don't remember who the manufacturer is. Possibly Rustolium.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the steel springs are accessible, you could potentially get some stainless rod similar diameter and replace them. Kind of ambitious but painting the steel springs is still kind of a half-measure, eventually it will rust again.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry @Geoff Cooper didn’t mean to jack ur thread.🙏🏽🤙🏽
I think the comments are getting into the realms of fantasy here, This cleaner is for rust stains without causing damage to the gelcoat, To make a boat seat from a mild steel frame is crazy only asking for trouble, My advice would be to take the seat off the boat take it to a local upholstery shop, They would have come accross this problem before and would remove the seat cover for you if you feel unsure about doing it for yourself and they will point you in the direction of a small local firm who would copy the seat in stainless for you, If you start to use chemicals on a mild steel frame your kidding yourself, The problem will reoccur time and time again, You need to stop the problem at sourse and that's the only answer no more marks on the seats etc, Look around for a company who makes stainless steel security gates etc for houses they will also make bathroom towel rails laundry hanging frames all that kind of thing, they are the guys you want they will copy the frame etc and then just put the cover back on, No more problems, I make it my job here as im driving around looking what small buisnesses are about and what they do, You would be amazed what you can get done for little money.

826.jpg

This is my local upholstery guy i use, He's great about 24 hours and the job is done you see him here fixing a tube for me the zip broke so he fitted a new zip and strengthened the surround $5

20180903_101503.jpg

This is the same shop, My boats 2006 i wanted to mod the front seats to update them so i sat down and drew a few ideas and came up with something i liked and took it to him, He had both front seats done in 24 hours used the existing material and charged me $20 for each seat

20181106_134149.jpg

038.jpg

This is a local company i use for stainless steel, They make gates / towel rails / laundry hangers / security doors pretty much anything they only do stainless, There will be companies around near to you go and look and find them, There there you just need to look and you can always use them again if your happy with them, This company did all the stainless on my jeep back and front fenders roll bar side steps all in 316 stainless $300 the lot fitted, Sometimes you need to dip your foot a bit deeper into the water suprising what you can find, Good luck.