• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saltwater differences

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat has been run in fresh water since the beginning. I am planning a trip to Florida this summer and my 07 sx230 will be sitting in saltwater for 5 days straight. Wondering what if any differences I should expect/prepare for. I know my painted trailer us going to hate saltwater but what else should I expect? Thanks in advance. @Bruce

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have nothing to worry about. Get some Salt-A-Way to flush with after you haul her out. Hose down the entire boat after each outing, inside and out. While boating remember to keep as much salt water outside of the boat as you can.

Enjoy the fun and sun and don't sweat a little salt.....we boat in it every day!

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about the boat sitting in it for 5 days? Need to take it out and flush it??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll be fine for 5 days. If you are completely freaked out, spray all of your external metal parts down with a corrosion inhibitor.

At most you'll get a scum ring and slight algea growth depending on the water temp and flow in your area.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I left mine in the water for 4 days one long weekend last summer. I had a little bit of scum but it washed right off without scrubbing or anything.

I still have a painted trailer, when I put the boat in the water I washed the crap out of the trailer, like I normally do when I wash the boat at the end of the day. I stick the water hose in the front of the rails and wash the inside out, I know it doesn't get everywhere but I do as much as I can. I've had it for over a year launching in salt water and it still looks good, I banged around on the frame and crossmembers with a hammer a week ago to see if it is starting to rust through, it still sounded solid....for now. If I leave the boat in the water for a weekend again this year, I'm going to take the trailer to the little fresh water pond close to the house and back it in there for a while...probably doesn't do any good but it makes me think it washes it out good:)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh yeah, the slips at my marina have water hoses, so I washed the top of the hull down at the end of the day those 4 days as well. Took about 5 minutes.

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not freaked out too bad. Just wanted some advice from avid salt water boaters. Which I got, and I thank you guys. My 07 trailer is showing some very slight rust. I would like to find a marina that would lift my boat right off the trailer and splash it for me. Is this un heard of and crazy?? Don't pick on me, lol. I know how bad saltwater is to painted metal trailers. My dad had one until he used it in saltwater a couple of times and it literally disappeared.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would do the same. If you can find a willing marina, get them to launch and retrieve your boat.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where you going in FL?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like you already have lots of good replys. My twin of your boat has spent 16 days and nights in salt water over the last two years without any problems.

Will you be leaving her in the water over night? Doing so seems like the best option with your painted trailer. I launched our LX210 which had a painted trailer in salt water once. After tying her up in the slip we immediately went to a car wash and washed the trailer as thoroughly as possible. We did the same for the boat and trailer after retreival. We have rented slips from small craft harbors along the gulf. Please keep in mind that the tidal changes can be large so you need to adjust your ropes for it and know where you are in the tidal cycle when you tie up. The slips will likely be constructed for much larger boats so I suggest taking 8" or larger bumpers.

I suggest spraying the clamps on your hoses with silicone or a rust inhibitor before and after your trip. They rust very easily but it seems to be surface rust rather than structural. You will want to spray a similar rust inhibitor or your Jack as well. They seem to be particularly prone to rusting even on a galvanized trailer.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I too try to stop at a lake and dip the trailer and fire the engines after running in salt water.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I almost forgot, my most important suggestion is to forget about Orange Beach and join us for Bimini!

As for lifting your boat into the water. I have heard about this mythical process. I even found some places in Florida that may do it. You would need to find a facility in Orange Beach with a fork lift. Perhaps look into dry storage facilities for example http://www.sportsmanmarina.com/dry_storage.php . I am curious what others will say but I have always felt that it was ok to leave our boats in salt water for a week or two but once you pull it out you need to clean it quickly. So I would not want to use dry storage during a vacation when you will use the boat every day.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would get any boat yard to lift it. It can be done by travel lift or a dry storage place may use a fork lift as @Bruce said. If you must launch using your painted trailer, expect that it will set in some corrosion. The trailer is loaded with holes to help it drain, as well as open ends, although they may still contain plastic plugs. The MFI trailer is not painted on the inside of the frame. And it will fill with water when you launch and retrieve. However
you can rinse it will help more than not rinsing. Rust is incideous, it isn't something you will see immediately after or event he first year. And it will set in a slow and diliberate decay. So all you can do to minimize it will be a reward. I would Spray all the components on the trailer with T-9 or
Silicone, brakes, clamps, springs, wheels, fasteners, everything.

Best option is to have it lifted. But you can try to limit any damage. X2 on ways to protect the boat.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been using CRC 656 as a spray down after cleaning, on everything. How does this relate to T9? 6 of one, half a dozen of the other? Or is the T9 better? As far as Salt, I used Salt Away after years of outing on my lS2000 in salt water. The day I sold it whenit was 12 years old, the original galvanized trailer was corrosion free, and the boat and components were just a hair short of showroom condition. Salt Away or the like puts down a protective coating, over time,that helps inhibit the corrosive product. The proof was in the pudding, with the price I obtained for my LS when sold. Sure, some say water is all that is needed, but I always go the extra step and it paid off when the boat sold quickly and for top dollar.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Tom, @OCMD , I don't think brand matters. They are all corrosion inhibitors. The time you take to protect from the corrosive effects pays dividends. There is a huge difference in a hot dipped galvanized trailer and a painted trailer. When a metal trailer is galvanized, the frame is submersed in a very hot zinc bath, and it flows inside the frame and I to every crevasse. A painted trailer is a raw metal frame that is externally painted,racing the inside of the frame raw and susceptible.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like most of your questions have been answered. I'd just reiterate before hand spray down your trailer's springs/clamps/bolts/axles with T-9 or equivelent. Also, I'd run some Salt-Away through your engines BEFORE launching. Then again after your last day. No concrete evidence here, but it couldn't hurt. I boat nearly every weekend in the summer, however, I don't leave my boat in over night. But we are usually in the water ALL day anyway.

Enjoy your trip. And @colt45 are you going to Orange Beach? Or Orange Park? Orange Beach is actaully Alabama, but very near us. Beautiful beaches in Florida over here.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All good suggestions @colt45. You may want to consider either installing tow valves or clamping your water cooling inlet line from the pumps. That would allow you to flush your engines daily with fresh water and Salt Away while sitting in the salt water. The clamping solution would be temporary, quick and easy.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looks like most of your questions have been answered. I'd just reiterate before hand spray down your trailer's springs/clamps/bolts/axles with T-9 or equivelent. Also, I'd run some Salt-Away through your engines BEFORE launching. Then again after your last day. No concrete evidence here, but it couldn't hurt. I boat nearly every weekend in the summer, however, I don't leave my boat in over night. But we are usually in the water ALL day anyway.

X2 on flushing the engines with Salt-Away before going as it's supposed to coat the engine components.

I mostly boat in salt water and the bay completely destroyed the galvanized EZ Loader trailer that came with my boat. And I cleaned the trailer as well as the boat, so I agree with Mel, the salt water will start to do it's thing on the first dunk.