• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Save me some money

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I loved my jet skis, lol. Some days I figure if I had a super cheap 3 seater or 2 thatd be ideal... But my wife hates driving them, and buying a jet ski for friends to ride is silly unless you're super rich, lol.
Yeah. What he said..

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, my obsessiveness got the best of me. I couldn't stop thinking about how the Tacoma towed my 14' utility trailer filled with a couple thousand pounds of lumber and how it kept shifting and seemed to strain it. I couldn't stop thinking about the potential white knuckle moments. I couldn't stop thinking about not having enough payload to haul all the gear and passengers. I couldn't stop thinking about the longer trips and how the truck would struggle and the kids wouldn't be comfortable.. Most of all, I just couldn't stop thinking about the safety of my family, and every other family on the road.

Now would my Tacoma have pulled it? I'm sure it would have. Would it have liked it? I don't think so. So with all of that said, and with a super heavy heart (since I get attached to vehicles), I traded in my Special Edition Tacoma and bought an Oxford White 2021 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 Supercrew with a 5.0 V8 and a tow package... I personally have never been a Ford guy, but this thing is sweet. I couldn't pass up the deal that I got at the dealer. After all the discounts, rebates, trade in offer, and awesome finance deals, it was a no brainer for piece of mind. I should have no problem towing now, and I wont be endangering my family or anyone else's by just trying to save a few bucks a month.

This also means that this is officially my wifes truck, and I am back to driving a 2011 Camry once her current lease is up in 5 months on her Highlander, but I'm not complaining. I love that car. Never had a problem with it in 180,000+ miles. It is actually what I still drive almost daily because of its wonderful gas mileage and my 70 mile round trip commute to work every day. She only drives 4 miles a day for work. I am sure she will let me drive the truck occasionally, maybe, I hope. lol

It will all be worth it to be on the water, safely, this summer and for many more summers.

Thanks to all who chimed in. You all gave me quite a bit to think about, some good advice, and a couple of laughs (as always). Now I cant wait to actually pick up the darn boat!!!!!

1614690050945.png

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently moved up from a 2017 Tacoma 4wd rated at 6700lbs towing a SX210 (est. 5000lbs loaded to the gills) to a 2019 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L rated at 10,100 lbs.

I really loved my Tacoma (my second), it was a good sized truck and it fit me well, and did okay towing on flat around Dallas.

But, I started finding I was really white knuckling it when entering the expressway, especially when it was a uphill acceleration ramp, hoping traffic would give me some relief by moving out of the right lane (which is where I stay, max 65MPH, better MPG at 60....dare not really peeve folks by doing 55). That started making me realize that I needed a bigger truck if we wanted to drag the boat to Northern Arkansas/Southern Missouri or eventually Lake Powell/Lake Mead.

Even though I find the Tundra a beast of a truck to park after so many years in smaller vehicles, and just the shear volume of space in cab isn't that comfortable to me, I find the abundance of horsepower comforting when towing. But tow/haul mode shiftpoints without anything back there scares the bejeebus out of me at times I try it "for fun".

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Zechbruder That's funny, because I had an eye opening moment last night on the way home when I decided to put it in Sport mode and mash it... haha. This thing has like 6 different settings.. And for the record, I will never use the Eco mode. Tried it. Hated it. Forgot it is a selection. lol Blame me for dying Polar Bears..