• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saved by <BoatUS> Trailer Assist....

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I pull my boat out yesterday. Brakes fail. Popped a brake line, it appears. 18 year old truck, time for a new one I suppose but that's for another day. (suggestions on a lease for a base model truck so I can unload it in 3 years before the rust starts underneath?). So now I am stuck. No way to get boat or truck home, 25 miles away. I call Boat US. Although they had a rough time locating a hauler at 6 pm, working together we found one. Towed my boat home, and the truck to a repair shop. Total cost to me? A big fat zero. Although insurance is generally a rip, this is the second time Boat US has saved my ass. I never knew they would tow both. I thought they would just tow the trailer if it failed. Nope. Took 'em both, Now to find a new tow vehicle. Although I have never been a Ford guy, I hear the F150 is superb. Suggestion? All it will be is a tow vehicle, and the way these things rust out underneath under heavy use DESPITE being washed on the undercarriage, I was thinking a 3 year lease and then send it back before the undercarriage begins to rot....

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New Ram is well designed and I like the new Chevy too, I’m not F150 person but it’s great although my best friend has just had both turbos replace on his 14 eco boost f150

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I pull my boat out yesterday. Brakes fail. Popped a brake line, it appears. 18 year old truck, time for a new one I suppose but that's for another day. (suggestions on a lease for a base model truck so I can unload it in 3 years before the rust starts underneath?). So now I am stuck. No way to get boat or truck home, 25 miles away. I call Boat US. Although they had a rough time locating a hauler at 6 pm, working together we found one. Towed my boat home, and the truck to a repair shop. Total cost to me? A big fat zero. Although insurance is generally a rip, this is the second time Boat US has saved my ass. I never knew they would tow both. I thought they would just tow the trailer if it failed. Nope. Took 'em both, Now to find a new tow vehicle. Although I have never been a Ford guy, I hear the F150 is superb. Suggestion? All it will be is a tow vehicle, and the way these things rust out underneath under heavy use DESPITE being washed on the undercarriage, I was thinking a 3 year lease and then send it back before the undercarriage begins to rot....
Huh! We have always had Boat US, on top of various boat insurance, never would've thought they would tow a combo.
Good to know, thanks.

--

DSCLLC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a new truck, but it doubles as my daily driver (which sees limited action since I work from home). Having very recently driven the F150, Sierra 1500, and Ram 1500, I found there is really no comparison between the F150 and Sierra. F150 is a nicer, better, truck all the way around. The 5.3 in the Sierra is pretty horrible...no power whatsoever (IMHO). I couldn't imagine trying to tow a boat. The 6.2 in the Sierra is better, but it requires premium gas (and I think you can only get them in the top trims...and then you're looking at least mid-$50k). The 2019 Rams are much nicer than the 2018s, but I'd still choose the F150. I'd only go with the Ram if you have an aversion to Ford.

I didn't look at the Titan (can't stand the way it looks) or the Tundra (too dated).

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been keen on the new F150 ecoboosts, but wife says NO. My 2007 ram is going to have to go a few more years. I have seen the 2.7 ecoboost getting low to mid 20's mpg. Super Crew with 2.7 v6 without any tow packages rated at 7600lbs, with tow packages is rated at 9000lbs. Has same HP and more torque than my 5.7L Hemi.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used to get 18mpg with my '07 Tundra; 14 while towing. Lowest cost in maintenance of any of 8 pickups I've owned over 45 years, and I traded it in with 160K miles for $4000. I needed a 1 ton for the new truck camper/boat combo, or I would have stayed with Toyota.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Say what u will but that freaking HEMI is a rock solid motor! I was working the other day and was told to walk through a car show that they had that the local ford dealer. So I drove in and promptly backed my work vehicle in to a parking space and pop the hood.

48991.jpeg
All these guys with high dollar high power muscle cars come up and look at my dirty old truck..

Any ay one of the ford guys says in a few years ford will only have about three cars to choose from.. All with the same power train. No thanks!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2015 f150 platinum. It was nice, but never clicked for me. The new ram 1500 could click for me. If they'd just slap a damn 392 in the Laramie I would have to go buy one. But since they havent yet, I take my time. The 5.7 has plenty of power, but the 392 has excessive power, and I like that.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I almost ended up with a f150 ecoboost but ended up with a 02 excursion. 10k lb tow rating, seats for 8 adults, tons of storage, and only 10k. But i don't have rust issues in socal. The f150 hads lots of aluminum that won't rust.

Dave Biel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins Diesel. Best diesel I’ve ever owned.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2015 f150 platinum. It was nice, but never clicked for me. The new ram 1500 could click for me. If they'd just slap a damn 392 in the Laramie I would have to go buy one. But since they havent yet, I take my time. The 5.7 has plenty of power, but the 392 has excessive power, and I like that.
The 392 is stupud power! 470 hp and 485 torque with that nice v8 rumble.. Man I wish I could buy one but nope.... Maybe they will make a hellcat truck!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Say what u will but that freaking HEMI is a rock solid motor! I was working the other day and was told to walk through a car show that they had that the local ford dealer. So I drove in and promptly backed my work vehicle in to a parking space and pop the hood.

View attachment 82511
All these guys with high dollar high power muscle cars come up and look at my dirty old truck..

Any ay one of the ford guys says in a few years ford will only have about three cars to choose from.. All with the same power train. No thanks!
Is that your work ride? Looks like a Tahoe from here. What do you have with the Hemi?

Buddy at my last job had a Hemi powered Durango (2016 I think, first year with the 8spd). It was a pretty good motor. We "compared" his 5.7 Hemi to my 6.0 LS2 powered Trailblazer. I had fewer gears, but more torque and a better final drive. Would take him by about 1.5 lengths at 30mph, then it was a dead heat to triple digit speeds.

Anywho, I'm on my second 5.3 powered fullsize GM. It's a great motor. Has good power, decent torque, assuming you have a decent set of gears behind it. If you're shopping brand new, make sure to get the 3.42 rear gears. The 3.08 equipped trucks are only rated to tow 5,200lbs. Yes, only 5,200lbs towing from a fullsize pickup. The 3.42 trucks are rated to 9,200lbs with the 5.3. The slightly older trucks with the 6spd have absolutely horrid shift patterns from the factory. a $500 tune from any of a couple online retailers will address that. it's like a new truck with just the shifting tuned in properly.

Drove the bosses F150 Platinum the other day. Truck drove nice and seemed to be plenty peppy. I just really didn't like the interior. Same with the Dodge I sat in the other day. Not bad, just wasn't a good fit for me in terms of styling/look/feel.

To the OP, if you're just towing with this, have you considered refurbing what you have? I don't know the overall condition of your current truck, but revival of an old truck is often less expensive than a new one. I have a good friend with a '96 Suburban. He won't get rid of it because everytime something fails, or needs maintenance, the parts and labor are CHEAP to get it fixed. Thing has like 350k miles on it now and just keeps on going.

Chadt4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a 2015 f150 xlt... wanted front bench seat. Supercrew 6.5ft bed, 4x4, 3.5 eco boost.
Curious about the f150 diesel.

This summer while on vacation wetraded it in for 2018 f350 xlt 4x4 supercrew longed diesel.

F150 towed fine. Didn't like being loaded up and coming down passes and in traffic... pnw people drive like shit.

Love the new truck with zero complaints.

Hell take your heaviest toy loaded up like your going out for the day/ weekend and go test drive what your thinking of getting with said toy hooked up. Maybe call and arrange test drive vehicles and times ect.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that your work ride? Looks like a Tahoe from here. What do you have with the Hemi?

Buddy at my last job had a Hemi powered Durango (2016 I think, first year with the 8spd). It was a pretty good motor. We "compared" his 5.7 Hemi to my 6.0 LS2 powered Trailblazer. I had fewer gears, but more torque and a better final drive. Would take him by about 1.5 lengths at 30mph, then it was a dead heat to triple digit speeds.

Anywho, I'm on my second 5.3 powered fullsize GM. It's a great motor. Has good power, decent torque, assuming you have a decent set of gears behind it. If you're shopping brand new, make sure to get the 3.42 rear gears. The 3.08 equipped trucks are only rated to tow 5,200lbs. Yes, only 5,200lbs towing from a fullsize pickup. The 3.42 trucks are rated to 9,200lbs with the 5.3. The slightly older trucks with the 6spd have absolutely horrid shift patterns from the factory. a $500 tune from any of a couple online retailers will address that. it's like a new truck with just the shifting tuned in properly.

Drove the bosses F150 Platinum the other day. Truck drove nice and seemed to be plenty peppy. I just really didn't like the interior. Same with the Dodge I sat in the other day. Not bad, just wasn't a good fit for me in terms of styling/look/feel.

To the OP, if you're just towing with this, have you considered refurbing what you have? I don't know the overall condition of your current truck, but revival of an old truck is often less expensive than a new one. I have a good friend with a '96 Suburban. He won't get rid of it because everytime something fails, or needs maintenance, the parts and labor are CHEAP to get it fixed. Thing has like 350k miles on it now and just keeps on going.
Yes that's a 2014 Tahoe with the 5.3... I own a 2005 durango with a HEMI and it will run circles around that Tahoe.. That tahie is a damn slug man.. noooooo get up and go at all! Now the car I had before that was a 11 dodge charger with the HEMI... Niw as u might imagine in that line of work we kinda put them through their paces almost everyday day.. So my love for the HEMI isn't from daily cruising and the occasional full power pull, its from hard work each work day. The thing is a beast everyday and each time u stand on it... Did I mention the charger was pursuit rated?

DSC_5924 copy.jpg
Best pic I could find!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a fan of of the GM 5.3, but they are sluggish compared to the mopar 5.7's. I blame shitty GM transmission programming and torque management software (GM pulls up to 25deg timing during the shift and it kills acceleration).

You can find the GMC trucks in SLT and Denali trim with the 6.2L. Slap a tune on that truck and you're into a real competitor with the Ford/Dodge guys. You can run 87 in those as well, just don't get peak performance.

@bronze_10 thanks for your service. That's a tough profession. Thank your fuzzy partner with a milk-bone too!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a fan of of the GM 5.3, but they are sluggish compared to the mopar 5.7's. I blame shitty GM transmission programming and torque management software (GM pulls up to 25deg timing during the shift and it kills acceleration).

You can find the GMC trucks in SLT and Denali trim with the 6.2L. Slap a tune on that truck and you're into a real competitor with the Ford/Dodge guys. You can run 87 in those as well, just don't get peak performance.

@bronze_10 thanks for your service. That's a tough profession. Thank your fuzzy partner with a milk-bone too!
I agree... The transmission Is crap...

The dog died.. I know sad.. We worked together for 8 years.. Once she retired she lasted 6 months. . She couldn't handle being left behind everyday!

Now.. Back to how chevy trans suck!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They must do some severe road treatment in the winter where you are @OCMD. My truck (2013 Ram Hemi, which I love by the way) has really no rust to speak of underneath. I really concede though that Indiana doesn't really get all that severe of winters anymore.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
would the aluminum on the f150 help with corrosion?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@OCMD How much is that Boat US coverage per year? Thx

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

View attachment 82511

As a Service Manager at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership, I must respectfully disagree on the Hemi. Huge amount of cam/lifter failures. Prior to this job, I was with Ford for 11 years. The 3.5 and 2.7 ecoboost motors have been great... the 5.0, not so much!

Last edited: